Pre-Combine Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get into any offseason stuff, because I am by no means an expert on the numbers. BUT what I will say, is we keep Darrelle Revis. with this happening, we send Cromartie to Houston for a 2 and a 4. we also are unable to resign Laron Landry (most likely ends up in New England, go figure).

anyway, on to the draft.

1. Barkevious Mingo (LSU, OLB) - I have been against the Mingo pick for a long time, but this drafts value is really low at the top. so we trade back to 13 overall with Tampa Bay. with all of our targets gone (Warmack, Fisher, Jones, Moore, Werner, etc.) we take MIngo who I believe Rex can mold into an elite pass rusher. hes shown flashes of greatness. the trade with TB lands us an additionl third.

2. Barrett Jones (Alabama, OG) - Slauson is a FA and Moore will probably retire or not be back, so we draft Jones. a versatile linemen who can play anywhere on the line for us. in this cage he will play guard for us. mahybe even shift Howard to guard and have Jones play RT. our line coach can tinker around with all the possibilities and find what best suits the team.

2. Jordan Reed (Florida, TE) - Keller will be gone, I have no doubt in my mind about that. Reed is a solid prospect who will rocket up the charts come combine time. Reed is still developing as a tight end, but I believe he can become a freak of an athlete.

3. Johnathan Franklin (UCLA, RB) - Franklin is the perfect back for the WCO. he's similar to Ray Rice in the fact that he can run and catch the ball. I expect our offense to incorporate alot of screens, something we haven't done much of. Franklin would excel in this part of our offense, a possible security blanket for Sanchez.

3. DaRick Rogers (Tennessee Tech, WR) - our receiving corps is a joke, it's been a revolving door of players coming in and out. Rogers paired along with Hill could be a deadly combination. we could put the two on the outside and have Santonio Holmes play the slot.

4. D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina, S) - the perfect replacement for Laron Landry. he hits hard, and can also pick off a few passes. a very physical safety, the kind of things Rex looks for in a DB.

4. Trevardo Williams (Connecticut, OLB) - Trevardo along with Mingo will give us an immense boost in the pass rushing department. with Coples and Wilkerson on the DLine we could be looking at a new sack exchange. Williams had a monster junior and senior season, but didn't get the recognition because he doesn't play for a school known for football.

5. Ray Graham (Pittsburgh, RB) - adding another back is ideal for this team. we adopted the ground and pound moniker the past few seasons and it's beenmildy successful. our team is heading in a more pass happy era. Graham is a solid backup to Franklin, and in a WCO scheme both will be used a lot.

6. Nigel Malone (Kansas State, CB) - Malone had a solid year in coverage. we would be adding him for depth, but with work from our DB coach and learning from Revis, he could be a starter in a few years.

7. Denard Robinson (Michigan, QB) - our new Brad Smith. when we had Smith on the team our offense was unpredictable, the past two seasons anybody could have predicted what play we would run. Robinson is a versatile offensive weapon. he could run the wildcat for us, run gadget plays, read-options, go down field to catch balls and even return punts/kicks. we aren't drafting him to play QB for us, he doesn't have the tangibles to do so. he would be a valuable asset for a WCO scheme.

thoughts? questions? ask away.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

just curious, why does tampa trade with us?

and personaly i'd rather have gilisllie(sp) over franklin at rb

#2 FJF, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. Jonky

Jonky Banned

If we have to take two RB's, I'd rather take a flier on Lattimore. I also doubt Robinson is there in the seventh. IMO he will go between the fourth and sixth as a WR.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I really don't want a project 1st rounder who can be molded by Rex. Among other things Rex might not even be here after 2013.

It would be nice if the Jets just made a sound choice that required no hedging or explanation for a change. People who can play football well tend to dominate at the college level over a period of years. People who need coaching up to get to that level are why the Jets haven't been able to get over the hump in their first semi-solid decade of play since the 80's.

5. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I know its nitpicking, but I really don't agree with the consensus around here that our WR corps is a mess/joke.

Holmes/Hill/Kerley really isn't a bad group to have out on the field in a 3-WR set; especially in the WCO. Both Holmes and Kerley should be in situations for a lot of YAC, and Hill should improve with a full off-season and more coaching.

6. Br4d

Holmes and Kerley want to play the same role. Hill is a major question mark. I think the Jets definitely need to get a bigger possession type receiver if they're going to go with a WCO.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

my bad I forgot to state my reasoning. TB trades up to grab Dee Milliner. with us trading Cro it makes sense that we would take him, so TB trades with us to get him.

8. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Like the Ray Graham pick, very underrated. Though I think you maybe overvaluing Jon Franklin.

I guess I could deal with Mingo later in the first but its still a tough sell for me

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Well said, even from a LSU fan.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This. Can we please for once draft a guy who is pretty much a consensus top player on everyone's board whenever we pick, whether it be at 9 or a trade down in the 1st. We need an impact defensive guy with our first pick. No projects, just an immediate playmaker.

11. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

Mingo nooooooo

12. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Sometimes the project picks if done right can work out for the better. Now I know for my examples that I provide, you can provide counter examples. However, did the Giants care when they drafted JPP that he was going to be a project?

In my opinion drafting is a combination of finding a player who shows production that has talent that can be coached at the next level and turned into an even better player. That is the reason why players like Case Keenum and Kellen Moore do not get drafted but people who put up decent stats with coach able and improvable talent do.

It is sort of like the stocks vs bonds argument. Do you want to take on the risk that stocks have in fluctuation (hit very well on some picks while other picks bust), or do you want a team full of Tim Tebows, you know what you are getting with not much variation?

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

There's no question that project picks can work out for the better in certain cases. However given the lack of playmakers on this team, they need immediate contributions from their top draft picks this year. They can't afford to wait 2 or 3 years for these guys to pan out. All I'm saying is let's just hope that Idzik and their draft experts don't gamble on a project if a sure thing(consensus BPA) is staring them in the face. The Jets do have a history of that.

14. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Joseph Fauria(UCLA) I think fits the bill for us at TE 6'7" 257lbs maybe a 4.7 tops in 40 yards but his height and weight is where its a mismatch for DB's and Safeties plus they can line him up off tackle for extra blocking protection in certain circumstances. As far as Running Backs Id like to get Mike Gillislee, Christine Michael, or Andre Ellington. Those guys get north and south quickly and have great vision for cut backs.

15. Br4d

I'd rather have the hard-hitting safety from the U for a change instead of the big fast guy from UAB who nobody ever heard of before and is going to take five years to turn into a player for us.

Sometimes the simple answer is the right one and it gets frustrating as hell watching supposed professionals playing fantasy football year after year.

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Despite his size, Fauria is an awful awful blocker.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I can only describe this as bad.

Houston already has a bunch tied up in corners. Joseph is on his big free agent contract and Kareem Jackson was a first round pick. What reason are they bringing in a high priced guy with off feild issues?

I have a hard time seeing Miliner being there at the jets pick. There are at least 3 teams in front of us that could use a corner. He's often rumored to be gone by Cleveland at the latest and Oakland has shown interest I him at the third pick.

Mingo is not worth anywhere near a top ten pick in my mind. Late first, early second? Sure. Top half of the first? No way in hell.

Jones should be gone by our pick, but would be a good choice if there.

Someone will take a shot at Robinson before the seventh. He's a project, but has better value than that based on his tools. He may end up.as mostly a gadget player, but a very effective one with time to develop.

18. Br4d

Robinson is probably going to go 4th to 6th round. If he didn't have injury concerns he'd be a 4th round pick but I think those concerns may impact his draft position significantly.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The I jury hurt, but by most reports he looked very raw in senior bowl practices while catching pass and kicks. Seeing as he is viewed as a receiver/returner at the next level it was not a great outing for him. Him needs to put on a show at the combine.

20. Br4d

I think he's miscast as a receiver/returner. He should be trying to have a Warrick Dunn type career. He can't take the pounding at a heavy level but he's elusive enough that he won't have too. Give him 12 carries a game and another 4 or 5 targets out of the backfield and he'd be a real asset.

As a receiver he's just small and relatively unskilled. He needs to be carrying the ball to have real value, just like he did at Michigan.