Jets GM John Idzik said he's a Jet, Open Competition...about Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CowboysFan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Banned

win.............

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Eli threw 25 INTs and led his team to missing the playoffs but he had a better year?

Schaub once again took a very talented team and led them to missing the playoffs

Matt Ryan had a better reg season but choked again in postseason

Josh Freeman was playing w/o postseason pressure. They beat no one all year, the first pressure he got came in 2011 and he failed.

Rivers playing in a weak division couldn't get his team to the playoffs but #s wise he was far ahead so I'll ok that one.

Vick was better in the reg season

So that's
    Brady
    Brees
    Vick
    Peyton
    Rodgers
    Rivers
    Ryan
    Ben

so that's 8, so you can see how he was a top 10 type? I would say anywhere from 8-12.

Which games was he directly responsible for needing the late game comebacks?

Actually he had weapons in 2010(though Holmes missed 4 games, Cotch missed games and the RBs were up and down) and he succeeded- that's the point. Give the man talent to work with and he can win.

3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I realize Sanchez:Grossman isn't apples:apples. My point is that it's not a good idea to move forward with continued faith in a player (especially a Qb) based on reminiscence. Sanchez's Playoff performance and success is about to be three years removed. For how long will you harp on those good (not great) two seasons?

I agree with this. However, we don't know whether or not Sanchez's development has been completely stunted. After watching his more recent - and much more relevant - on-field play, he looks like he's sunk.

4. nyjunc

I think he deserves a chance to compete for the job, no guarantees. If he wins it and proves he can play more like 2010 than 2012 he keeps it, if not he's an expensive backup for a year before we release him next year w/ less of a cap hit.

5. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

The Grossman comparison is one I've made before too. Obviously it isn't the perfect comparison because there never will be. Sanchez is more talented but the level of boneheaded-ness and terrible decision making is eerily similar.

6. The Uniform Bomber

This is what I find most entertaining about you:

When it was Pennington, the excuse was that he had to play in the same Division as Brady. Now, it's the same regurgitated excuse regarding Sanchez.

So, Sanchez gets a free-pass because he has had to compete in a Division with Brady. But Schaub had no excuse in a Division with Peyton Manning; Matt Ryan and Josh Freeman have no excuse in a Division with Drew Brees.

Why is your excuse-train always on a green, one-way track? It's frustrating because you always seem to think that the Jets (i.e. Qbs) are the only team facing adversity in a tough Division with an elite Qb.

7. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Matt Schaub is the epitome of taking what a defense gives him. Shut down the run, shut down Matt Schaub. I would hate to be cursed with a QB like that. Just good enough to make you never draft another QB. Fools gold.

8. nyjunc

ummmm mark made the playoffs twice, Schaub NEVER made the playoffs. I could give him a pass for not winning the division(though Manning and Indy had down years where ten won the div) but every year Houston was supposed to be a playoff team and every year they fell short. Drew Brees is not Tom Brady, there is only 1 Tom Brady. Brees and NO have had down years, NE never does in the reg season.

This is why these discussions spiral out of control- you guys take bits and pieces of my posts then interpret them instead of actually reading what I post.

By the way, Chad is the only QB besides Brady to lead his team to an AFC East title in a season where Brady was healthy.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Offense scoring net 10 pts is meaningless? haha, name me some teams who have won Championship games with only 10 positive points by their offense?
    The offense FAILED big time...

10. nyjunc

The circumstances in every game are different. In this particular game the D allowed us to go down 17-0 then when we battled back w/in a score the D failed again.

name me the big time Ds that allow an opponent to run out the clock in a situation like that?

'01 NE had 10 net pts on O on that same field our D blew it.

11. BacktoQueens

Who is calling them big time D?

In '01 NE offense scored 10, but Special teams scored 14. the NE D held Pitt to 17, same as Jets. So i guess it's the Jets ST fault for not scoring 14?

You don't win when your offense puts up 10 positive points.
    Keep drilling into the decades of championship past. There are close to 100 games to choose from, so we can get a pretty easy % of success when your O fails miserably with 10 pts.

I'll also add the pts the Jets O scored were against a prevent D.
    Against base D, they could barely muster a 1st down.

12. nyjunc

Supposedly they were great, right? aren't great D's big time Ds?

First drives of game for Pitt:

2001 title game against NE: 2 yards, 3 and out.
    2010 title game against us: 66 yd TD drive taking up 9 mins of clock

Pit creeped w/in 21-17 in the 3rd, never got closer. When NE had a chance to close out the game they did. When our D had a chance to give our O the ball back to win it they failed. NE stopped Pitt 3 times in the 4th when they had a chance to tie the game.

Again, every game is different. Our D had an opportunity to step up and failed.

13. The Uniform Bomber

This is fair, and slightly less homerish than your usual stance.

Having said that, "open competition" doesn't necessarily mean 'competition' in which the player with the best evaluation who wins the job automatically will then perform well on the field. Let's say Sanchez beats out David Garrard and Greg McElroy in camp. Are you really going to not only justify, but also be confident in Sanchez just because he won that open competition? I certainly won't.

Ugh, spare me the fluff-filled accolades that you use to boost the perception of mediocre players. Anyone can do that. Watch: Matt Schaub is the only Qb to lead the Texans to a Playoff berth in franchise history. Doesn't mean Matt Schaub is a top-tier Qb, just because he accomplished something more than for the franchise than was ever done previously.

14. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Junc do you really watch the games? IMO no, unless its through Sancho glasses.
    In other threads I've shown you stats, which you say don't mean anything because they don't favor you!
    I've shown you play by play of games in every season which rub the facts of nacho sucking in your face.
    Taco has made probably 15 plays in 4 playoff wins, which is no where near what needs to happen in his position.
    He has never played like a top 10 Qb since entering the league.
    I know you hate stats that don't side with your narrow views, but his career stats put him near the bottom over 4 years.
    He had a top5 run game and defense in both playoff years, there is no way anyone who understands the game can refute that. We all saw it and it makes you look like a scored a 10 on the wonderlic when you say we didnt.
    In 11/12 our run game was not and our defense didnt play as well and guess what we didnt go to the playoffs either year. What does that mean? Well it means taco isn't a leader and can't elevate his game above "contributor".
    We didnt make the playoffs in 11 due to his skid during the last 3 games, we all saw it including you.
    In 12 with a depleted roster, we may have made it in to the playoffs if he doesn't turn the ball over 20% less than he actually did! You realize we still had a chance until his Tennessee debacle.
    In 09/10 if any top 10 Qb was on our team we go to and win a superbowl, rather than settling for 3rd or 4th place like we actually did.
    No matter how you and the rest of your "nacho groupies" spin it, anyone who really knows the game understands that he is severely limited and doesn't have what it takes to play in this league.
    You can't see the Forrest for the trees.
    You really have no idea what you are watching.
    Go back and refute the history that nacho has laid out in his career, and count his failures against his successes and tell us the score!
    It's more failure than good and you know it!
    We all know it but you just want to reinvent the wheel, so good luck! We nacho haters, as you call us, are not the stupid ones in this argument!
    It's the lovers of nacho who are stupid and being laughed at.

15. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

JUNC ...

If you secretly polled 100 NFL scouts, coaches and GM's and asked them if they though Mark Sanchez will ever be a good, productive NFL QB, how many do you think would say yes? Then ask them if they would want him to be the QB of THEIR team. How do you think the poll would turn out?

I'm going to say no more than 10 or 11 would answer yes to the first question, and I'd bet my life the total would be ZERO to the second question. Do you disagree?

16. nyjunc

where did I ever call mark Sanchez a top QB?

Your posts are too difficult to read, can you use spacing please?

I'll hit on 2 of the poitns I could find in that haystack of a post.

He didn't have a top 5 run game and D in both years, in 2009 he did but by the time the playoffs rolled around Thomas Jones was shot but Greene stepped up.

If we could win w/ any QB why couldn't we make the playoffs w/ a future HOFer the year before? Why did QBs w/ more talent around them not win as much?

17. nyjunc

I will guarantee you most think he CAN be a quality QB in this league and most coaches think they can fix him. If we released him a smart coach/GM will pick him up let him back up his current starter and get him ready to play a year later.

18. BacktoQueens

I didn't call the D 'great'. I already stated missed tackles and the final drive were contributing factors towards the loss.

Our O also had many opportunities to step up and failed.
    they only scored 10 positive pts! Unless the D or ST scores multiple times to offset a terrible offensive day like that, you don't win with that equation.
    you certainly can win with a defensive allowing 15 net pts though.

The O failed miserably in Pitt, and you won't accept that.

#538 BacktoQueens, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  19. BacktoQueens

So most coaches think he's a backup. I agree.

20. The Uniform Bomber

Haha nicely done.