Jets GM John Idzik said he's a Jet, Open Competition...about Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CowboysFan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

both were bad passes, Sanchez had a small window where Hill was open and he hesitated, Flacco had a wide open WR w/ no one around him so his underthrow was still able to be caught and then the WR made a great play to score.

2. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I don't post there because it's a horrible forum that is poorly moderated and I generally can't stomach other Dolphins fans because homers grind on my nerves. Darksiders too. There is a lack of perspective in general

The guys that are considered the "best" posters there are awful posters.

I debated that play with you before and caught you in a flat out fib by saying he threw it from near midfield so it was as good as a punt when in fact he threw it from the 36 on 2nd and 8 so it clearly took possible points off the board since doing absolutely nothing negative from then on would have at least given a shot at a long FG in a game that ended up going to OT.

That right there proved to me that your memory is clouded by your bias. You just assumed it was as good as a punt because the name on the back of the jersey was Sanchez and you actively try to minimize his mistakes in your mind.

3. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

How come other teams can guys like Jamarcus Russell and Matt Leinart in much less time than we do Sanchez? What is the point of 2013 if Sanchez gets the starting role? The guy is done and should not be part of any GM's future plans at all, it's depressing to hear to be honest.

We need to move on from the Sanchez era completely, at least then if we're 3-13 we know we're moving forward instead of being 6-10 with Sanchez and just marking time.

4. nyjunc

I love when people think they are getting something over on me. Whether the pass was a good one or bad one is a different argument than the was it a killer play argument. No that play didn't kill us, it was like a good punt. It would have ben 3rd and long if it was incomplete but when you have nothing you have to make things up.

Leinart and Russell won a combined 15 games in a combined 9 seasons in the league, Sanchez won 19 in the reg season his first 2 years and helped us win 4 playoff games. See the difference? leinart had great weapons and still struggled to win, Sanchez had average weapons and won big.

5. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

How do you like Flacco now? Aren't you the guy that constantly rips Flacco while pumping up Sanchez?

I've heard all your apologies for Sanchez and you give him way too much credit, he rode a top run game and top defense, guy stinks, simple as that and his stats back up that assumption.

Only reason Sanchez had any success (and it was very minimal, guys stats were terrible) was the cast he was surrounded with top O-Line, top run game, and top defense and he backed into the playoffs and had a decent run culminating in a typical Jets post season loss.

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

How in the world was it "like a good punt" on 2nd down from the NE 36 in a game that went to OT? Especially since a good pass would have put 7 on the board.

If Flacco did that you'd be crucifying him for it

Plus it doesn't change the fact that you said it was near midfield before you had your selective memory called into question. Which was my real point. That you let the name on the jersey decide when you are going to place blame.

7. nyjunc

I don't rip Flacco, I discuss him rationally like I do Sanchez. Flacco had an outstanding postseason.

I like Flacco, I don't rip him for anything but that was a terrible pass.

It was 2nd down but it turned out to be like a good punt. Ne was set up at their 2, even if we punt they likely have better FP than that and if we attempt a long FG and miss NE gets a short field.

So the 38 yard line is not NEAR midfield? is it near the GL?

8. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

No junc, the 36 yard line is not near midfield.

This is getting laughable. If he had thrown the ball on 3rd down you may have a point. But on 2nd and 8? No way. You are letting Sanchez cloud your judgment.

You do realize that there is another down after the 2nd where you get a chance to gain yards?

It sounds like you are willing to concede that Sanchez throwing a deep pick is a better option than putting the ball in his hands for another down. If that is the case, welcome to the right side of the argument.

9. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Again...you really flatter yourself.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The defense allowed only 17 pts, scored 2 pts, generated 3 turnovers, and allowed no points in second half.
    That gets it done 9 times out of 10.

The offense scored 17 pts, while allowing 7. Positive 10pts from an offense is not enough.

Both units were certainly capable of doing better, but you can't blame the game solely on the D. The offense scoring 17 is light, especially when you let up 7. The fumble 6 was the nail in the coffin, and too much to overcome despite the valiant team effort in the 2nd half.

11. BacktoQueens

The goal is to allow less points as a team. PPG is a team stat.
    Yds given up is a defensive stat.

Why were the Jets the 5th best in league at giving up yds, but 20th in PPG in 2011?
    Why were the Jets the 8th best in league at giving up yds, but 20th in PPG in 2012?

The answer is turnovers and failure to advance field position from the Offensive and ST units.

12. nyjunc

sorry the 36, it's still only 14 yds away from the 50 and 36 yds away from the EZ so it's near midfield.

I didn't say it was a good play, it was a poor read and poor throw. I said the play didn't end up hurting us b/c it was like a good punt. Please READ what I post instead of interpreting what you think I am posting.

I never said the INt was better than throwing an incomplete pass, he MAY have cost us points but chances are it would have been a long FG attempt and if we miss NE has great FP- we don't know?

Not really, I don't walk around puffing out my chest b/c I know football. It may seem like it to someone like you that doesn't know the game but i just have fun talking football.

The D also put us in a 17-0 hole so climbing out of that is very difficult. Everything needs to go almost perfectly and failing on the last possession by the D wasn't perfect.

Here's another "boxscore" moment. 3 TOs sounds great but let's look at them:

TO #1: 4th and 1 on the Jets 42, Ben throws a 1 yd INT so essentially it was stopping them on downs. Good job but not setting us up deep in Pitt territory.

TO #2: 2nd and 11 at the NYJ 37 Ben throws deep and we pick it off giving us the ball at our 14.

TO #3: ben fumbles snap and we pounce on him for safety

only the safety play was big and our O scored a TD fairly quickly pulling us w/in 5 w/ 3 mins to play and 3 Timeouts. The D could have allowed 1 1dt down and our O would have had a shot, they failed.

In 2012 it was b/c our O was brutal and couldn't score, in 2011 our D wasn't good and killed us most of the year. The D was also constantly allowing opponents to drive near midifeld then pin us deep, that's not what big time Ds do.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

When a new GM says he wants the QB to compete for the job he means he doesn't believe in the QB. Everyone knows the deal with Sanchez including Jets management. We will be drafting a QB either this year or next to take over. Sanchez competing for a job is Sanchez possibly being a stop gap while he is under contract. Unless this guy suddenly gets it he will not be a starting NFL QB for very long.

14. nyjunc

Sd once drafted a QB in the 1st rd to take over for Brees. This is my point, it's dangerous to give up on young talent. There are no guarantees mark will ever be good again but it makes no sense to get rid of him now. He gets one more chance to earn his job back, if he fails this year we move on w/ less of a cap hit than we would take right now.

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i think its fair to stop comparing Sanchez to Brees in any way. I know for the first few years the parallels were made and Sanchez was juxtaposed against Brees....but enough is enough. Sanchez and Brees are not comparable in any way what so ever.

16. BacktoQueens

Anyway you slice it, net 10 pts from your offense is not enough to win a championship. the offense failed.

And are you pathetic enough to say 'yeah they were turnovers, but not good turnovers'? Now we are evaluating the quality of the turnover. give me a break..Turnovers are turnovers. You get the ball, and give your offense a chance to do something with it. Jets D did that 3 times.
    btw, this was something you just raved about regarding the Ravens D..

you admitted the answer for 21012, but avoiding it regarding 2011.
    How could the D possibly let up 5th fewest yds in NFL, but the team allowed 20th most pts?
    It had everything to do with turnovers (28 by Sanchez alone), and offense and ST failing to change field position.
    The team would let up points even when the D wouldn't allow a yd. its a fact.

17. nyjunc

The point is not to say he will ever be half the player Brees is but rather that teams make mistakes. It takes certain players longer to get it than others, mark has shown he can play in this league. if we did waht Bal has done for Flacco and surround him w/ great talent we'd be a playoff team every year too and have a chance to get to SBs.

18. nyjunc

In 2012 it was b/c our O was brutal and couldn't score, in 2011 our D wasn't good and killed us most of the year. The D was also constantly allowing opponents to drive near midifeld then pin us deep, that's not what big time Ds do.[/QUOTE]

you admitted the answer for 21012, but avoiding it regarding 2011.
    How could the D possibly let up 5th fewest yds in NFL, but the team allowed 20th most pts?
    It had everything to do with turnovers (28 by Sanchez alone), and offense and ST failing to change field position.
    The team would let up points even when the D wouldn't allow a yd. its a fact.[/QUOTE]

The bottom line is this. The O scored w/ a little over 3 mins to play to pull w/in 24-19. A bog time D gets a stop in that situation, we had 3 TOs but the "great" NYJ D allowed Pitt to run out the clock.

a 4th and 1 where ben is throwing it away to take a chance rather than get sacked is not a regular TO, it's more like a TO on downs. Getting the ball at our 14 is nice but they didn't give us great FP. it would have been better for the D to get a 3 and out but they allowed Pitt to move from their 28 into our territory. if we get a 3 and out a punt gives us much better FP. Not all Tos are created equal.

The D failed to change FP in 2011, far too often when they would get stops it would be after a few 1st downs to put the opponent into great punting position to pin us deep. The D failed so many times throughout 2011, the O gets their share of the blame too but if our D was like '09, '10 or even '12 we easily make the playoffs.

19. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

100% correct. The Jets know Sanchez can't play. These guys aren't blind. They see the kind of young talent all around the league at the QB position and then they look at what we're stuck with here. It has to be killing them. If it wasn't for the ludicrous contract he has, there's no doubt he would have been gone a long time ago, and he'd only get another look by teams in the most desperate of circumstances.

The bottom line is, if there's ANY viable option available, there's not a person involved in the NFL who would want Mark Sanchez to be their starting QB in 2013.

20. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

I think you're overrating "momentum" way too much in the case. You simply don't get max ball velocity on deep throws when you throw on the run because you can't plant and drive. This is something you can try yourself at a local park. Even if you somehow don't understand that, the fact that he evaded a pass rush and than completed a deep pass without a chance of it being intercepted disqualifies it from being labeled an "awful throw".