How did you become a Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Feb 1, 2013.

1. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Ahhhh.....the "Power-Out Bowl".

2. gonyjets

gonyjets New Member

How did I become a Jets fan

I came from England when I was 10, was already a sports head watching and playing soccer, so I turned on the TV and just started watching the Jets to learn football and just like that I became a Jets fan since 80-81

3. StealthDefense

StealthDefense Active Member

I became a jets fan in 1989. In 87 and 88 I was a fan of the bears. Still remember parts of watching the 85 Super Bowl. After McMahon got traded to the eagles I needed a team. I was 8 years old when my brother in law and former poster here Papichango turned me green. He taught me to be a football fan first and a jet fan second so I would never lose my mind I think.

I have been a faithful Jets fan ever since. Last year when Rich lost his battle with Cancer we put a Jet jersey on his casket and wore his rob Moore jersey as I was a Paul bearer for him.

We are proud of our team. I bleed green proudly and never not live this team that brought me so many great moments of watching football with him.0

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Just want to say that there are some really great stories on here. I wish my story was as exciting.

5. grumpynyjetsfaninME

When Byrd broke his neck. I felt bad for the guy

6. JETlife14

JETlife14 New Member

Why am I a Jets fan? That's a great fuckin question. I have no idea.

7. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

I had relatives over here so got dragged togames in the early 90s...used to spend August to Mid Sept over here so used to get the usual this year its different BS...the Kotite years were somewhat surreal....making this last 12 months easier to stomach!

Now time permitting , I try to get over as much as possible...last 12months ofdivorce etc made that harder but now the new potential Mrs Maynard is on board I can drag hr to the Meadowlands screaming ....why should i suffer alone!

8. coltsfan_nyc

coltsfan_nyc Banned

Just want to say I admire Jets fans. You guys will defend this team to the gates of hell. I respect that. I respect that when a Jet fan debates a fan of a more succesful franchise, they don't back down and can hold there own spewing out facts and stats like nobody's business.

That's all, carry on!

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The Jets haven't been the unsuccessful franchise the media and lot of fan bases tend to think.
    Last decade they've been 50% in the playoffs in a tough AFC, making noise when they got there. They really just need that Super Bowl to get over the hump, and a solid QB to be a more consistent team.

Only a few franchises have really been perennial playoff contenders, while winning a fair amount of post season games in the process.
    Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens were the only ones that come to mind, and the Ravens just finally got their championship with this squad. NFC didn't really have that. Colts stepped in shit going from Manning to Luck, and will probably remain in the conversation for years to come.. bastards.. I'm still waiting on just a touch of QB luck for this franchise. been waiting for 33 or so years of every week watching..

10. jacktucky

jacktucky Member

My uncle offered my father 2 of his 4 season tickets. My dad came home one day and said, here go to the games. I bought Jets tickets. No think it was 1986 or so.

I didn't really watch football but I remember asking him why he didn't get Giants tickets.

I went to so many games and finally gave up my tickets when I had my 2nd child. I think it was after the year that Vinny went down in the first game.

One of my favorite pictures is one of my wife sitting on a metal folding chair placed over the charcoal grill to keep warm. That was the playoff game against the Jaguars IIRC

11. coltsfan_nyc

coltsfan_nyc Banned

Your time is coming, plus yall sure had no trouble mopping the floor with us last season! :jets:

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That was a great memory as a Jets fan.. The Jets were one of the dominant teams in the league all season ('98) and that home divisional game against Jax was electric. I remember I took the train up from college in DC the night before just to go to the game and my dad dropped me right back at Newark Penn right after the game to get back for class. The crossing pattern to Keyshawn for a TD, I can remember it vividly and I think the final was 34-24 without checking any Internet to confirm.

13. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Bad luck.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

14. jacktucky

jacktucky Member

I think that was the first time I saw a military jet flyover in person. What a great day.

15. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Same way I became an Islanders, Knicks, and Yankees fan... my Dad was.

16. Chutzpah

Chutzpah Active Member

Flash Gordon helped out alot. though i am the first of my family to be born in Queens, at the former St Johns across from the Queens Mall forty years ago

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

uncle introduced me to it around 76/77 at the age of 9; tinkered with a few games on TV during the matt robinson/richard todd saga.....

didn't play peewee ball but got more baited in 79/80 with the emergence of klecko and gastineau.

swallowed the hook in 81 with the sack exchange and the playoff appearance.

of course little did i know what i was in for when todd hit bill simpson at the two yard line to end the wild card game at shea.

18. KerleyFries

KerleyFries Member

I was about 5 years old, and loved watching Curtis Martin run. He was always less respected than Marshall Faulk, Eddie George and Jerome Bettis. He reeled off 10 straight 1,000 yard seasons and was still was undervalued. I loved last year when he was elected to the Hall. Martin will forever be my favorite player of all time and he's the reason I am a Jets fan.

also, Wayne Chrebet was my idol as a kid because I always wanted to grow up and play receiver just like he did.

19. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Never really followed football until I met a friend of mine who is a Jets fanatic and talks about them 24/7 (in addition to Devils, Knicks, and Yanks). After inadvertently memorizing the whole roster, I had no choice but to root for them.

20. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

A little off topic.but related

I've got a 6 year old who just showing signs of getting into sports, rooting for teams etc.

We were talking last night about the end of the football season, the Jet & Giants etc.

My son on his own decided that he will root for both teams...but that he will root for the Jets if they play each other. Wise boy, I will not deny him an opportunity to root for a winner.