You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing I was thinking the entire second half was that Revis could wind up being the final piece in the puzzle for the 49ers and the Jets might actually get a real offer from them. Not an Alex Smith "please take my trash" offer either, a real deal.

2. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The 49ers are young at many key spots so they can afford to give up a few draft picks. Smith is due to make like $8 million so if he is discussed in a trade - Smith + picks for Revis - he would have to rework his contract. Problem I have with that is you are now saying Smith is going to be the guy in NY and I don't like the idea of Alex Smith being the guy and you can't trade Revis for Smith and have Smith be off the team in 2 years.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

How about Revis for Bowman and draft picks?

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I feel like blockbuster player/player trades rarely if ever happen in the NFL. The last big one I can remember was Bailey for Portis. So I have no idea what the Jets can get. If they can get a young player+high draft picks, would be really tempting to pull the trigger

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Excellent post and I very much agree with you, especially the part about having an extra defender. With Revis the Jets use one man to cover the opponent's main offensive threat, while pretty much every other team requires two players to do that. Add in that Revis is also a great tackler, gets his share of Int's considering how little he is thrown at, and also his underrated ability to cover ANY type of receiver, and you get a better picture of his worth.

6. Br4d

If the Jets trade for Smith they need to send Sanchez the other way in the deal, at least that way something productive has been accomplished even if the Jets didn't get much in the deal.

Alex Smith won't last on the Jets any longer than Neil O'Donnell did and for the same reasons, he's a game manager made to look better by the world-class team he was on.

7. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Pointless hypothetical because it won't happen.

Would you guys trade Revis to the Phins for the 12 pick? It is an interesting scenario since we have a need at corner, especially with Sean "i have no business guarding #1s" Smith a free agent. And it would give you guys a lot of flexibility with the 9 and 12 pick.

Of course the downside is going against him twice a year lol

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

No way we trade him in division. And you have a lot of cap space too? Not a chance I would take that.

9. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Yeah we've got like 40 mill but have a ton of key free agents. And Revis would take 10 of that away himself lol

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I could see us trading to the fish or the bills if they make a tremendous offer, not the Pats though.

11. Br4d

10? No way. Revis won't take a deal that doesn't have a lot of money up front in it and he probably won't take a deal that is back-loaded even if the money is guaranteed. If he took the back-loaded deal where he gave up salary up front for salary a few years down the road it would screw his ability to hold out for top of the market if the market shifted above that.

12. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Haha I'm no cap expert I just threw a number out there

13. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

I think the Super Bowl might have driven the price up a bit for Revis. I was hopeful for a late first for him, but I think the Niners might see Revis as the one player away and give up a first and conditional third.

14. Br4d

If you guys gave Revis a 6 year 80 million deal, which is about as charitable as it looks like he'll go, it would probably be structured something like this:

$50 Million bonus, salaries of $5 million a year for 6 years.

That's a $13.33M a year cap hit.

Realistically he's probably asking for more than that but I figure the low Florida tax rates might get him down some, plus the ability to play in sunny southern Florida 8 games a year.

Whoever signs Revis is going to pay a lot of money up front. They're going to do it as protection against future market shifts and holdouts. The Barry Sanders precedent, where a player has to pay back bonus money when they voluntarily make their services unavailable is about the only real leverage the team will have over Revis and they'll want a big club.

When he holds out after year 3 the team will want $25-30 million hanging over his head as the amount he will ultimately have to cough up if he turns the hold out into a "went to the NBA" type retirement from the NFL.

15. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

The Bucs don't give out signing bonuses. I'm sure they're not the only team that does that, but I know they started it. They give out high guarantees through the first few years of the deal. In a deal for Revis, another team could follow that path so as to not worry about the bonus during the inevitable holdout.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Does it make sense to trade Revis if we have a HOF player?

Honestly how often does someone trade a player in his prime with potential to be a HOF player? What happened to all that Deion Sanders comparisons?

His injury sucks and we can assume it will make him go backwards, but recently in medicine the ACL injuries have resulted in little change of performance (ie. Adrian Peterson)

WE have a HOF on our hands, dont let him go. Pay the man. Even a guy like Warren Sapp waited years on the horrid Tampa Bay teams before he was at the core of taking them to a Super Bowl.

Revis is Mevi$...But the man changes the dynamic of the game. We have no one at that position.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

How many threads on this can we have? We have a HOF player that wants to be paid like it. We dont have that money and it would not be smart to give him that money considering the situation we are in- rebuild. I dont get whats so hard to understand.

Just because you may be able to buy a Nissan GTR, it doesnt mean you can afford it long term and it doesnt mean you should buy it.

18. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Revis to Niners for Alex Smith and their first rounder!

Or better yet,

Revis & Sanchez to Niners for Alex Smith and 2nd and 4th round picks

19. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Ummm what? Why would Miami spend all that money on Revis plus a high draft pick when they are sooooooo far away from being Super Bowl contenders? What's the point?!?!? You have a need at corner, but you also have 30 other needs too!!!!!!You guys are in the same boat as us. Also, no guarantees that Tannehill is going to be better than Sanchez.

But if you're asking me would I make that trade, probably if it's the best offer out there. I don't care about the division thing. Just trying to make the Jets a better team in the long run.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That's because they almost never do. The salary cap is quite restrictive and teams value draft picks more and more with each passing year.