Jets GM John Idzik said he's a Jet, Open Competition...about Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CowboysFan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I definitely agree that he didn't regress in year 3. However, he played very poorly down the stretch of the season (last 3 games in particular) and turned the ball over way too much. He also had some absolutely terrible performances in huge games. (@Miami, @Denver, @Baltimore, @Philly)

2. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Don't mention that here, they will kill you. But yes you are right.

He def didn't regress in year 3 but the overall team talent regressed starting that year.

Now you and I Will be termed Sanchez lovers and apologists lmao

3. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I wondered that during the Tennessee game because some of those throws/decisions were just baffling

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The deep throw that got picked down by the goal line was just no chance at all. Calvin Johnson couldn't have gotten that ball over the 3 guys in the area. There was just literally no chance that ball was getting caught except on a freak bobble/tip situation and a huge chance it would be picked.

5. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Idzik said what every NYJ fan needs to accept: Sanchez will be competing for the job in 2013 because it doesn't make financial sense to trade or cut him.

6. slimjasi

As long as it is a truly legitimate, open competition, i can live with it. I just can't take another season of him being anointed the starting quarterback.

7. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

With the cap and lack of quality QB's avalible and Rex's fondness of Sanchez...do you really belive it will be legitmate?

8. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprised if he were named starting QB right before competition started. Wouldn't make too much sense.

And honestly, I think he's done. There's no way he is going to start next year if we bring even remotely decent competition. And I'm alright with that.

9. slimjasi

Sadly, no, I don't. (And this is easily my biggest current fear going forward) The one thing that gives me some hope is that I have to figure that A) Rex's job is on the line and B) Rex knows that, so naturally, my hope is that Rex has Sanchez on an especially short leash, even if he is awarded the starting job.

10. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Well if you guys bring in Matt Moore then it is basically handing Sanchez the starting position even if they do call it a competition. Matt Moore is a terrible practice player and was beat out by both David Garrard and Tannehill in camp

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

C'mon, man. I'm by no means a Sanchez lover, but poor performance on purpose to get benched?? He is a shitty QB, but you're saying that he is also a shitty athlete, and a pussy.

I mean, if this is true... Shit, I hope it's not.

12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Accept -- sure. Don't have embrace or like it though.

13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Don't think there's much fondness left. Remember the disgust on Ryan's face after TEN game? I'm pretty sure Sanchez is over Rex's liking limit.

MS however has advantage over incoming QBs -- he knows the system and in absence of pressure (i.e. in practice) does well. So it's quite possible he might end up winning QB tryouts.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

except he doesn't know the system since marty was just hired

15. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Speaking of that look of disgust, do you happen to know where I can find it...?

16. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You absolutely love to play the "if it wasn't for" game, so let's talk about the San Diego game. Shonn Greene broke a big run, and the SD kicker missed FGs.

That's how you explain that the difference in the teams was the QBs???

17. The_Darksider

Learn? What exactly are we learning? How to beat the same point to death over and over and over again while showing a complete inability to debate a point without calling people awful nitwits?

I have a friend who is a lot like you, sees things only in black and white, and refuses to believe anyone's point but his own could possibly be correct. I wish I could have a debate with him, but any attempt to try and reason wit him turns into something like these threads.

This thread started out as a remark about Idzik and whether he was behind Sanchez or not, and has regressed into another nyjunc "Mark Sanchez is great, the Jets fans suck" comedy act. Except it's not funny anymore.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

That's key. He did not regress, but he ended the season on a sour note. In the high pressure games, we didn't get the Sanchez that we saw in 2010 late in games, we got turnover Sanchez. Standing alone season 3 doesn't llok too bad, but once you see how season 4 happened, you have to feel the end of season 3 pushed into season 4 and carried over.

19. The_Darksider

It's pretty funny that junc is younger than me from what I remember him saying, and tries to comment on Joe Namath's career like he was there to see it. I barely remember the end of Namath's career when he left, and I can't say I honestly remember seeing him play. Anyway, he talks about stats and interceptions and argues with guys who WERE there to see him play.

Then, junc will get up and defend Mark Sanchez because "he doesn't look at the stats", he only goes by what he saw and he just KNOWS Sanchez is good.

Good god man.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

he makes it seem like he's the only one watching while everybody else is just "looking at stats". The majority of Jets fans thinks he sucks, then the stats actually back up that point about him sucking, so not only does he fail the eye test, his stats are shitty as well.