Jets GM John Idzik said he's a Jet, Open Competition...about Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CowboysFan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

If you don't want to contribute or learn please stay out of the thread. We alreayd get it, his fnatsy #s sucked so he was awful. Show me the QBs to win 4 postseason games over 2 years w/ awful QBs? Get back to me hen you can do that.

2. nyjunc

who cares? Jet fans are miserable, most hated Vinny, Chad, I bash Namath. If namath played today and had the same career he'd be bashed by the majority of Jet fans.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Stop evaluating Namath with fantasy #rs.

4. nyjunc

I don't, I look more at the 2 lonely playoff years in his career but thanks for asking.

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Two playoff wins, but a Superbowl.

Four playoff wins, but no Superbowl.

Which would you rather have? Come on now...?

6. nyjunc

One guy played 13 seasons, the other has played 4.

Joe also needed ONE win to get to the SB and despite having a worse record than Oak AND losing to Oak they hosted Oak in the title game. That would be like Sanchez needing one home win against Pitt to get to the SB 2 years ago.

But other than that the comparison is exactly the same!

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You're sort of forgetting the part about Namath being one of the most dominant QB's in history in his early prime. He was the first QB to pass for more than 4,000 yards in a season and the record stood for 12 years until Dan Fouts broke it in 1979.

You cannot possibly mention Namath and Sanchez in the same breath. Namath was one of the greatest QB's of all time who was then felled by repetitive injuries.

8. nyjunc

but he wasn't one of the most dominant QBs in his early prime. So what he passed for 4,000 yds? he also threw 28 INTs and he led the Jets to losing 3 of their last 4 games to miss the playoffs by a game. In the 3 losses he threw NINE TDs but he threw for 4,000 yards!

I am NOT comparing the 2 as players. Just discussing the playoffs for both QBs.

Part of being great is being durable, Joe would be a legit HOFer and all time great if he wasn't always hurt but unfortuantely he was and most of his career was mediocre.

Fouts in his 4,000 plus year led SD to a 12-4 record and threw for 333 yards in his playoff game! along w/ zero TDs and FIVE INTs but 300+ yds!

9. Br4d

I'm sorry, you're just nuts. If you cannot admit that Joe Namath was a dominant QB in his early prime then nothing that you say is worth listening too because you're coming from an alternate reality completely disconnected from ours.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Well you make the assumption Tebow is getting shipped out. They probably make a play at Moore, Orton, Campbell in FA. Sanchez will compete with them for the job. If he plays like he did this past year, he's not getting the job. If he plays average, it should be good enough to beat them out for the job. There has to be something to judge him against and Tebow/McElroy aren't those players. Now McElroy should have chance to fight for the job, and Tebow if he is still here, but I wouldn't expect either one to beat Sanchez

11. nyjunc

what made him dominant? the TWO postseasons he led us to when the 2nd place team was 7-7-1 in '68 and 6-6-2 in '69. Was it his 9 INTs in that killer late 3 game losing streak in '67 to cost us the playoffs? was it leading the Jets to just 3 inning records in his career?

I think you are confused w/ what dominance is. Check out Brady's career for what dominace really looks like.

To say Joe had a couple great years is one thing but dominance? come on.

12. nyjunc

Mark would beat out any of those guys b/c all things would be qual as far as the talent around them.

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I said it before and I'll say it again ...

If Mark Sanchez is our starting QB next season, this team has no shot to be competitive on the field. NO SHOT. He's played 4 full seasons and three of them have been completely abysmal ... and the fourth was average at best ... and that was a long time ago. Idzik has been here 10 minutes. I think the rest of us have seen all we need to see.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't know if he would. If he played like we have seen 2 years ago, then yes he would beat them. If he makes silly mistakes from last year like throwing into triple coverage, missing leading receivers, and staring down receivers, not even Calvin, Fitz, and Welker on the field could fix that.
    There are mistakes like timing, throwing to a spot, drops that you can put on Reuland, Gates, etc being the receivers. There are things like starting down Dustin in SEA, throwing into triple coverage against TEN, missing leading a receiver running an underneath route, etc that talent won't fix.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's not up to us who starts at the QB position.

16. Br4d

He set the all-time record for passing yards in a season in 1967 and then was AFL MVP two years running AFTER that.

It must have been really tough going to see Santa at Macy's when you were a kid. Sooner or later some kid around you would invariably say "Look at Santa's white beard mommy" and then they'd hear "it's not white, it's black" and everybody would start edging away from you. :)

17. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

To get this back on topic to our current magazine cover QB, I'm not going to say he isn't going to wind up being the best QB option for us next year. I think MM's system and some of the skill position players fit in pretty well. But the fact is, regardless of the talent or coaching around him, he was making mistakes in his 4th year that guys at that point shouldn't be making. He flat out regressed to the point where the last two years he was not playing well enough to be the starting QB in the NFL, let alone on a playoff team.

18. Br4d

Yep. He threw interceptions down the stretch last year that had me wondering if he was trying to get himself benched because the pressure was too much.

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Teams win games, not players. Wins are a TEAM statistic. Quarterbacks are individuals. Mark's individual performance has always ranged anywhere from slightly below average to particularly dreadful.

Try and pay attention to the language and fundamental logic we've all agreed upon.

#139 slimjasi, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thought overall year 3 was not a regression? 32 total TDs, his highest comp%, yards and rating; what am I missing?