Jets GM John Idzik said he's a Jet, Open Competition...about Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CowboysFan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we must have had the greatest D in the history of the game to win 4 road playoff games w/ a bottom tier QB. of course we know we didn't even have a great D and the greatest D's in league history haven't won in postseason like that w / bad QBs.

He needs talent around hin, it is foolosh to give up on a guy that had so much success his first few years.

2. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

does anyone honestly think that Mark wont be the starter next year? We have bigger problems in 2013 than QB. whats the point of getting a new qb if he is still going to be stuck with this "offense"

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Dilfer said those things in reaction to Sanchez's performance late that year. In a small stretch of games he played well, but that doesn't make him a top 10 quarterback other than just a moment.

Dilfer also has a PHD in bullshit from ESPN School of Broadcasting which means making bold, overreacting statements for attention. This was his bold overreacting statement after the playoffs in 2010. Care to see what he thinks of Sanchez today??

It's almost embarrassing to have to post things like this. Mark Sanchez and top 10 don't even belong in the same sentence ever.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is willful blindness on your part. He was terrible in 2009, he was well below average (ranked 27th in passer rating, 26th in yards per attempt, 29th in completion pct) in 2010. He was below average (23rd in passer rating, 27th in yards per attempt, 28th in completion pct) in 2011. He was terrible this year.

He did not have a good season as a rookie. He actually had one of the worst full seasons any rookie has had in the last 30 years. It was abysmally bad given the changes in the passing game since then.

It was good in comparison to Ryan Leaf and Alex Smith and that's about it. Christian Ponder played better and Blaine Gabbert about the same in their respective rookie seasons than Sanchez did in his, BY THE NUMBERS. As iffy as Ryan Tannehill's rookie season was this year he was light years better than Sanchez was in his rookie season.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Junc, as an admirers. An I ask you a fave?

STOP MAKING SENSE.

When the naysayers can explain away your buddy Schotty, Sparano, gates, Gilyard, and Reuland.. Then they can be taken seriously....but yet..no one has.

6. BrowningNagle

We didn't have the greatest D in the history of the game, we had a great D though- otherwise they probably would've finished 6-10 with the level of play they got from the offense during the 2009,2010 regular seasons.

The sad part is the Jets had such poor QB play in every regular season of Mark Sanchez's career that even if they DID have the greatest Defense in the history of the game they wouldn't have a division title to show for it. So unfortunate.

You are supporting Mark Sanchez because of 4 playoff games from years ago. That's really all you use to support him (because that's all you CAN use). He played well in those games and they were great memories, but the regular season matters and he's been one of, if not THE worst regular season starting QB of the last 4 years.

7. Hobbes3259

BWay, you're another a poster who I genuinely admire....
    Explain away the growth under Schitty, then Sparano, with agates,Gilyard and Rueland...

Sanchez is not the issue here.

It's always been the offensive coaching staff.

Now...if MM can't get anything put of him, like weeks 1 and 10, I'm wrong.

But eff at least recognize the shit coaching.

A caller got Esiasion to admit on the radio, then an hour later he went back to the point to back track his idiocy for bashing sanhe

8. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

mark played well enough his first two seasons and in his third it looked like he might do well but somehow everything turned into crap and he lost his momentum. last year was just brutal. throughout the entire process however, he has continued to show flashes of the qb we all want him to be.

the reality is that the team crumbled around sanchez in a year he needed them to prop him up. 2011 was the year that mark was supposed to be sweeping under the rug, and with santonio re-focused and a promising young rookie talent it seemed like the pieces around mark might be good enough to make it happen.

the first game of the season, we come out and put 40 points up, next couple weeks arent as good but mark is still looking sharp, him and tone have good chemistry and are making plays. soon enough everything fell apart and mark folded under the weight of the situation. a lot of the mistakes are entirely on mark sanchez. there is no denying that. but given the circumstances i think that it is at least fair to say that he might not be as bad as the last 2 seasons might suggest.

if idzik recognizes that mark can succeed given the right supporting cast, and does well enough in bringing those guys into the organizaton, morhinweg is a hell of an offensive coach, and i wouldn't be surprised to see the jets competitive next season. there might be some growing pains at first, but the defense is good enough that if the offense can be average, the jets might make the playoffs.

this is the first time that i feel completely comfortable with the coaching staff. MM is legit, he will prove that to us jet fans very soon.

9. Hobbes3259

We've had the worst offensive coaching since Rich Kotitie

Go back and Boomers transcript.

It would have been IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to succeed in this environment

10. nyjunc

Dilfer is the best analyst at ESPN, he calls it like he sees it. he's been down on sanchez the last year + like he should be but in 2010 he was a top 10ish QB.

Those are great #s but again he led us to 11 wins including numerous late game comebacks where he thrived in clutch situations. That means more than throwing for 300 yds and 2 TDs in a blowout loss.

Sanchez rookie season was good, he had 3-4 awful gams that skew his #s but he was good for mist of the season and really stepped up in postseason- if he didn't we wouldn't have won a single postseason game.

I know you are a bettr fan than to think Ponder or Gabbert were better as rookies than Sanchez.

Our D was NEVER great, they had some great games but great Ds don't consistently blow late game leads and great D's.

2009 the D and run game carried mark and the team BUT he stepped up in January, w/o him we don't win 2 playoff games. If we had a Philip Rivers we are out by the div rd.

In 2010 mark was not being carried at all, he was doing moreof the carrying- the pass game was.

I support him b/c I've seen him help us win a lot of games including the record for most playoff wins in franchise history. if I didn't think he could help us win I'd want him gone too, if I thought 2012 was all about him I'd want to make a move but he didn't have help.

It's not the popular opinion b/c most fans a)need a scapegoat and b)like to be part of a pack and the lazy way to evaluate is just looking at fantasy #s which most fans do.

Mike Westhoff agrees w/ us:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/westhoff_sanchez_not_lost_cause_biw0ry2ciwNKFtic1No4CM

11. Br4d

He's been below average to terrible for his entire career minus a few games in 2010. He really did get carried by the Jets in the playoffs in 2009 for the most part.

I look at the whole of his career and I just don't see anything approaching a good QB. He's just not there. Do some guys make it after sucking for awhile? Well, Eli and Terry Bradshaw say yes. But they're the exceptions not the rule.

If you have it you show it for more than a few games at a time and if you can't do that then all you have is the ability to show it now and then for a few games at a time.

I guess I expect Sanchez to get a real opportunity to win the job this year but I highly doubt that the opportunity turns into anything for him or us. If MM really does a great job with him he'll get him up to middle of the pack. It'll take a great job though.

12. nyjunc

In the reg season in '09 he was carried by the D and run game a good portion of the year but NOT in the playoffs. he was near flawless at Cincy then played really well at SD. The difference in the SD game was at QB for both teams.

13. Br4d

C'mon man, he threw 38 passes total in the two wins. He threw 30 in the AFC Championship game because the Jets were down big in the 4th quarter so he threw 13 passes that quarter.

He was carried in 2009. If the Jets defense hadn't been great in the first two games they'd have lost much earlier. As soon as the defense wasn't great they lost and the margin wasn't particularly close.

I was a big Sanchez fan because I liked the spirit that he played with and the heart he showed at the end of the big games. The numbers said he wasn't great but he stepped up when he needed too. That was a long time ago. He doesn't play with spirit any more and I haven't detected a heartbeat at the end of a big game since 2010.

#113 Br4d, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  14. BrowningNagle

The difference in the SD game was the excellent play by the Jets defense on the road. The Jets would've won that game with most anyone in the NFL taking the snaps and handing the ball off.

the difference was one QB was playing against the NYJ defense - Phillip Rivers, and the other wasn't - Mark Sanchez.

15. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This.

filler

16. nyjunc

Who cares how many passes he threw? he didn't have to throw a ton until we fellbehind late at Indy. The only reason Rivers had so many more attempts was b/c he had to throw after falling behind 17-7.

At Cincy he threw 3 incomplete passes and 2 of them were drops. he was OUTSTANDING.

At SD his #s weren't good but he made 2-3 huge plays which were vital to us winning and the other QB was busy throwing the game away w/ killer mistakes.

17. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez has been anywhere from slightly below average to downright awful for the entirety of his 4 year career. To solely (or, at least, primarily) blame the offensive coaching staff for Sanchez's consistent ineptitude is pure lunacy.

18. nyjunc

They wouldn't have won w/ Rivers who made HUGE mistakes. In games like that it's usually the QB who makes less mistakes who sees his team win.

Peyton manning is a choker too and he didn't seem to have trouble w/ the "great" NYJ D a week later after mark and the O gave them a double digit lead no less.

Rivers wasn't playing against the "great" NYJ D in any of his other playoff games yet he has just 2 playoff wins in games he started and finished.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i just knew this thread was going to be another junc show... stop feeding him people, he will eventually figure out something new to argue about.

20. Br4d

The worst thing about Mark Sanchez right now is that every thread in which his name comes up turns into a Sanchez Sucks - No He Doesn't back and forth that goes for pages and pages. I'd be glad if they cut him just to stop that.

It's amazing that the Jets have two of the most polarizing QB's in recent history on their roster at the same time. It makes the noise level almost unbearable.