Alex Smith....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 28, 2013.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

A 41 rating! That's aggressively aweful.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Arron Rogers was relegated to the pine for 69 games.

Steve Young was relegated to the pine for 48 games.

Tom Brady was relegated to the pine for 32 games.

Alex Smith was relegated to the pine for 8 games.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

So he's clearly better than the first three.

And fuck Mo Lewis.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That was year 6. and beyond.

In his first five years, Smith posted 4x/7x/5x/7x QB rating. Much worse than Nacho. (He even missed one year.) Tell me that's better than 68/73/78/67, with two AFCCG games along the way.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Crabtree broke out the minute Kaep started for the 49ers. Alex Smith's relationship with Crabtree was well documented. Vernon Davis sure as hell looked good in the NFCCG

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Who cares if he is better then Sanchez? The job of Jets GM is not to find a QB better then Sanchez, it's to find a QB that can win a SB.

Smith might be better then Sanchez, a couple high school QBs might be as well but he is not a QB to build around that will lead his team to a SB.

Let Alex Smith got to the Bills.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Bingo. It's amazing that some of the same people that hate on Sanchez will support trading significant value for a QB only slightly better than him, if that.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Didn't I say just that a while ago on this very thread?

(These people never cease to amaze me. Really.)

9. abyzmul

Their manta is repetition. Probably the only way a point will be made.

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

so we should care about his first 5 years and forget years 6 and after which were the most recent? i don't get the point.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

right but keep in mind that Alex had 3 season ending injuries in 05, 07, and he missed the entire 08 season. When he was fully healthy in 06 he posted a 58% completion percentage. Sanchez has never even completed more than 56% of his passes. So when Smith was healthy his completion % are 58%, 60%, 59%, 61%, 70%. Sanchez has been healthy for his entire career even when he had "weapons" playing in a time of possession, ball control offense he was still completing his passes at a terrible rate. You bash Trent Dilfer but he has had seasons with higher completion % than Sanchez.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Alex Smith was really a good QB there's no way that Harbaugh replaces him after a one-game injury. No coach does that. That's telling everybody on the team that one hit could cost you your job. That's why coaches don't take away jobs based on injuries if the player is able to recover in a reasonable time frame.

The 49ers knew that Smith was just a product of the system and the talent around him. They knew that Kaepernick was going to be better against good teams. Most importantly the locker room knew this too. That's why Smith got replaced so easily off of a one-game blip type injury.

13. The 1985er

That was a political move, they knew in the back of their minds (since they drafted Kap) that they were going to eventually replace Smith with Kap. It didn't mean that Smith was "bad". Kap is their guy and ultimately the coach and the front office want to see their guy out there playing.

Like I said Smith had shown consistent improvement over the last 4 seasons BEFORE Harbaugh got there.

14. abyzmul

Everything about Smith was bad until Harbaugh showed up. Then Harbaugh drafted his replacement, and effectively dumped Smith as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

Now you want the Jets to sign this piece of trash. Get real.

15. The 1985er

I'm not saying that I want the Jets to sign Smith, although he would be an upgrade over Sanchez and personally I would prefer McElroy get the opportunity. But folks are acting like Sanchez is so much better than Smith, which to me is ridiculous.

16. abyzmul

I get it. You like worthless QBs.

What I don't get is that you want Sanchez gone. Do you get off on QB Rating? Were you one of those guys beating off to Chad's QB Rating while he failed to be a dynamic QB?

We need a real quarterback. Someone that can lead the offense. No one that you have suggested has fit the bill.

17. The 1985er

Pennington was well on his way to being a great QB but his shoulder gave out on him. Even still he was efficient. The Jets need a stopgap QB to hold the fort until we draft our next long term QB. We need a stopgap that is also an upgrade over what we had last year (Sanchez). So that could be a vet like Alex Smith, or Matt Moore. I want McElroy to get that chance because we can kill 3 birds with one stone (that's right i said 3) we get to see what we have in him, if he plays above expectations (not just average) then we know we have our QB, if he sucks then we know we have to draft a QB asap. Also with the Jets being cap strapped we can save money by promoting McElroy instead of spending money on a retread.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Is anyone else sick of stop-gaps at the QB position? We have 2 potential franchise QBs in the 2014 draft. Alex Smith isn't worth bringing in with that price-tag. Matt Moore I guess for competition would work. His cost is much cheaper, but I feel Mark could beat him out in a competition.

19. abyzmul

Pennington wasn't even close to being "great". He had good stats because he used the checkdown way too much and he got picked off way too much on out routes.

And that was BEFORE the shoulder injury.

The Jets can find a stopgap that is far less expensive than the illusion of decency that Alex Smith is. Even Matt Moore.

McElroni is like Chad 2.0, you only have to see him in a few games to know that.

Probably explains why you want him to play. But if that avoids the Jets paying out for some band-aid at the QB position for 2013, then I can support it.

McElroni may be the best band-aid the Jets can find to bridge the sorry gap to the next QB.

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yes Smith would be a current upgrade over Sanchez, no he's not worth the assets to trade for. You don't trade for a hold this seat warm QB. If he's a FA and he wants to come here cheap, sure. But don't expect his recent SF numbers, expect his early SF numbers. Every unit he is coming from in SF is an upgrade on what is on this Jets team currently, WR, RB, OL, and offensive coaching.