You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Bryce Brown has looked pretty good but has fumbling issues. I would be concerned about that. He doesn't protect the football all that well. Nick Foles would bring good competition for Sanchez, but both players are still big question marks. Although I'd rather take a gamble on Foles, than Flynn or Alex Smith.

2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

well lets throw Tebow in the mix as well then...while this is fun to play the "what if" game. The odds of this happening are slim to non. Revis, if traded will go to an NFC South or North team. Jets will get two draft picks in 2013 (1 and a 3) and a conditional pick in 2014 based on performence (top out at a 2). Or the Jets re-sign him; Revis dosent play 2013 without a new deal in place.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Slauson did put the hot sauce on their best linebacker.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Foles was a rookie and played OK in Morningwoods system. He's on a rookie contract and has some upside. Brown was also a rookie in MM's system and showed more in those 2 games than any running back the Jets have had since ... I don't know when. Brown had more carries in those 2 great games than he had in the final 4 combined. If you watched him play in those great games you'd know that he has a ton of talent.

RB's can learn not to fumble.

The fact that those guys have experience in MM's system adds to their value. The fact that they're only 2nd year guys and on new cba rookie contracts adds to their value. We'd essentially be getting draft picks that we knew were familiar and previously successful in our OC's system, plus a couple of high picks in a 2013 2nd and a 2014 conditional. I'd hardly call that someone else's garbage.

This will almost certainly never happen but I guess it's fun to discuss.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

-4 pts in half is terrible. But keep blaming the D for that game. Also you convienently skipped over the part about the Offense failing on 1st and goal and the safety helping them out late in that game. Not scoring a TD there hurt big time.

It's funny how the D gets piled on by you for that game yet turned in a shutout in the second half of that game. No Sanchez turnover, and they only gave up 17 all game. Pittsburgh ran the ball well early in that game, but it wasn't disasterous until Sanchez's fumble.

Give some credit where it's due to Pittsburgh for once. They recognized the Jets D that had played great against finesse, passing offenses in the postseason and challenged them physically with the run. It worked but the Defense adjusted and responded. That's football.

Maybe not so many 3 and outs early by the offense, maybe not a demoralizing turnover, maybe ONCE picking up a defense that carried them for 2 seasons straight and the Jets end up in the SB.

What sucks worse than that loss though, is that were going to be debating it for a long time because the Jets aren't headed back anytime soon. Especially since they are talking about trading their best player. Such a damn shame that all we have to hang our hats on as fans for the last 30 years and counting is 3 AFCCG Losses...

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm wondering if the Detroit Lions might not get into the hunt for Revis.

They've got several really good pieces on the defensive side of the ball but they have mediocre CB's and Drayton Florence is 32 and expensive against the cap this year for what he does. Chris Houston is a UFA.

They have an asset in the 5 pick that the Jets probably could not turn down if the offer was made.

One of the oft-mocked picks for them is Dee Milliner. He'd help them rebuild the defensive backfield but they have a lot of players burning prime years at this point with Calvin Johnson at the head of the line there. Maybe they decide to take a shot on Revis instead of going with the rookie or another free agent filler back there?

They'd get the benefit of having Revis Island become a big story for them on the defensive side of the ball. They currently have a PR nightmare with Suh's continual pushing of the envelope on ticky-tack violence. Revis would have more than just great play value for them.

On the downside the Lions cap situation is not great, although it is not terrible either. They've got several players locked up to long-term deals that are very expensive and Revis would join that crowd.

It's an interesting possibility though. The Lion's collapse from 2011 to 2012 was very disappointing for their fans. Getting Revis would be a way to tell the fans that 4-12 last year was just a blip on the radar and the Lions were committed to making the playoffs in 2013.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The D was -17. which was worse, -17 or -4?

The D allowed Pitt to take the opening drive of the game for an 8 minute TD drive, they used up more than half the qtr but that was the offenses fault, right?

so many early 3 and outs by the O?

1st drive: 10 plays which allowed our "tired" D to rest. How did they respond? by allowing 10 more pts in the half.

The O got the game w/in 5 w/ over 3 mins to play, we didn't even have to kick an OS kick. we had all 3 TOs plus the 2 min warning, the D could have allowed one 1st down and we still would have a chance if they didn't allow 2 but what did they do? they allowed 2 and ended the game. I was in the Stadium, the fans were in a panic after we scored but w/ the game on the line the D failed as they had done a year earlier after being ahnded a double digit lead in Indy.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

This is a joke right?

We averaged 22.9 ppg that regular season, we scored 17 that game and gave away -7. The offense put together a net of 10 points that game. 10 points!

The defense held opponents to 19 ppg a game that year. We held the other team to 17 that game not including the point that the defense scored 2.

Who underperformed and who actually performed to their standard of the regular season? The offense underperformed greatly that game. We all remember that first drive from Pitt, but we forget two HUGE offensive failures. Giving the other team 7 points, and not scoring from 1st and goal. Scoring there a TD gets us down 24-17 with 7:50 left in the 4th. Instead we couldn't get the game down to one possession score until 3:09 left in the game. We lost a possession by not scoring there.

That drive where we marched down the field taking 7-8 minutes off the clock, eerily reminiscent of the drive NE went on against us the week before in the 4th where they ended up with 0 points. Luckily their defense got them the ball back once more and they scored to make it a one possession game, but by then it was too late. Very similar to our situation. We went 8 minutes and put up 0 points offensively. Brutal sequence

Even interesting enough. Last time we played Pitt in the playoffs before that game, we did what the other team did to lose the game before. The week before in 04 we beat SD because Nate Kaeding couldn't kick a FG through the uprights while they tried to settle for the kick. Turn around the next week in Pitt we do the same exact thing SD did and lose. Pittsburgh in the playoffs, seems to make us live through the mistakes of the teams we just beat.

#1348 displacedfan, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I think people overvalue the idea that someone is already familiar with a system. Here's how the scenario usually comes up:

Player A v. Player B. Player A is the more talented, better all around player than B. But B has familiarity with the system. Fans often times want player B.

You can teach player A the system. Its the NFL, these players have been learning the game all their lives. You take the better player, and you most certainly dont take someone who just isn't as good because "they know it."

This is currently a debate among Bills fans. Many want the Bills to draft Ryan Nassib because he already ran Doug Marrone's offense at Syracuse. However, by all accounts, there are better QBs in the draft. Assuming that's true, IMO, you take whoever is the best and then teach them the system. You dont sacrifice higher upside for a more immediate mediocrity.

The Dolphins took Ryan Tannehill because he was familiar with Sherman's system. The Pats signed Brandon Lloyd over others because he was familiar with Josh McDaniels' system. If the players are mediocre, what are you gaining by doing that? Foles and Brown might have a head start on some people, but its stupid to pass up on better players because someone else (who's not as good) already "knows the system." These are NFLers, its not impossible to learn.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't know what kind of haul you think the Jets are going to get but I think two 2nd year players who have shown promise plus 2 high picks is pretty good. One of the biggest reasons for trading Revis, in my mind, is to start rebuilding with a bunch of young, relatively cheap talent.

Having players familiar with the system helps get everyone on board with the system. Coaches do it all the time. My point is that the value is more than just them knowing the system but also them helping spread the knowledge of the system.

At a minimum I see Foles as a good backup QB which is a valuable commodity and Brown as a good 2nd back. I also think Brown has the potential to be an outstanding back.

11. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

Looking more and more like the Jose Reyes situation with the Mets.

12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the haul they'd get, but what I do know is the Jets should be able to get at least one impact player, either through the draft or trade, and maybe 2.

I'm not sure whether Foles is a franchise QB or not, but let's assume you're correct and he is a good backup QB. If you know that he's a backup QB, and Brown is a backup RB, are you really happy trading probably the best defensive player in the NFL for two backups and a 2nd round pick?

Its one thing if you can't find anyone who wants to both (1) pay Revis the money he wants and (2) give up a 1st rounder, but from the reports (which we dont know if they are true) seem to suggest people are "lining up." I could certainly understand if there weren't many suitors based on the contract demands of Revis that would also give up a 1st rounder, but so far that does not seems true.

Scrap Foles and Brown. I'd rather have a first rounder and a shot at an impact player. I think you should be able to get at least a 1st. The downside is that other teams know the Jets may be screwed and will lose him for nothing if they dont trade him. So who knows, maybe you are right, there might not be much of a market and the Jets may have to take less. But IMO, you've got to maneuver this thing so you at least have a shot at an impact player.

#1352 Bills over Jets, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

^ I was talking about their floors, not their ceilings. I happen to think Brown has a very high ceiling. A draft pick may never see the field - these guys you at least already know can play in the league at some level of competence. And the trade I suggested had 2 high picks, one in 2013 and one in 2014.

14. foolish

foolish New Member

they will not trade the best player in football...

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Either they trade him or let him walk for nothing. A new GM is not going to cripple his cap situation to sign a corner when his team has this many holes.

Unless he is a moron. And if our new GM is a moron, keeping Revis is the least of our worries.

Trading Revis is the best option this team has. I know how good he is, but get real.

16. nyjunc

The D was run over all 1st half long, you can make any excuses you want but we were a D first team and our D didn't show up AGAIN.

Not every game works out to the averages, it's great they allowed around their average but they also allowed Pitt to dictate the game and to get off to a great start putting us in a bad spot.

They allowed a NINE minute TD drive to open the game, they punched us in the mouth and we backed down. The O didn't score but at least had a decent drive of their own to try to stabalize the game but it didn't help as the D would allow us to fall behind 17-0.

we didn't even have to kick an OS Kick, NE had to attempt TWO. We gave the D a chance w/ 3 mins left and 3 TOs and the D FAILED.

We lost mainly b/c of the DEFENSE.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This is the last time I'll argue about that stupid game

I don't know if you have gotten spoiled by how good the Jets defenses have been lately or what, but you have a ridiculously high standard for the defense and a very forgiving standard for the offense.

You have a defense that carried that Jets team for the better part of two seasons, go on the road and shut down two of the greatest QBs ever to play the game, and they are on the road again vs. a 2 time SB winning QB- They give up only 17 points and shut them out for a whole half!!! and yet it's their fault???? HUH?

They got pushed around early, but most defenses do actually give up TDs from time to time on the road in the playoffs.. I know it's hard to believe. They adjusted and responded. That's typically a good thing.

Just once it would've been nice if the offense that had been bailed out countless times in the last two years had helped out their defense, early on. That's what winning teams do.

Look at this year, both defensive-minded teams. Both of these teams got behind early on the road in games because of their defense struggling (49ers in Atlanta, Ravens in Denver) but the offense rose to the occasion so they won. That's winning football and that's why they are dancing today.

If the offense just took a fucking knee every single down of the first half in Pittsburgh that day the team would've been better off. Maybe the Jets even win. they didn't rise to the occasion and the defense that had been stretched to the brink all season couldn't pull out another miracle.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Revis, and Keller both.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Best player in football?

Now Mevi$ is Tom Brady, Drew Bree's, Aaron Rodgers, or Gronkowski, or Jared Allen...really?

The guy is a CB, and you are talking out of your ass sir.

20. nyjunc

I do hold the D to a higher standard for good reason. We are a D first team and our D let us down in both title games.

The D didn't carry anything in 2010 but they sure blew a ton of leads forcing the pass game to bring us back.

Most D's give up pts but a 9 minute drive to start the game? ending in a TD? that set the tone. Football is a game of momentum, we finally broke the momentum of Pitt w/ the Fg late in the 1st half and we got on a roll, once the game was back where we could win the D folded AGAIN.

Bal's D kept them in it while their O struggled early. they were only down 6 at the half, they only gave up 1 TD to NE much like our game at NE in 2010. Our O stuggled in the 1st qtr and the D was GREAT then our O got it going and we bagn to pull away just like Baltimore.

SF's D didn't keep it close early and their O did a great job to come back as the D kept Atl from padding on to their lead much like NYJ at Pitt but the difference is SF's D didn't allow Atl to score again or control the clock when SF got close then they stopped Atl from winning late. Our D did a great job to hold Pitt at 24 pts but once we got w/in striking distance the D folded.