QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I'm giving more thought to Matt Hasslebeck. Yes, he's 37, but I've always considered him to be an average, servicable QB.

He's on his last year of a deal with the Titans, and counting 7.5m against their cap. I don't know what it would take to get him but I think he would be a graet guy to have along side Mark, either pushing him for the starting spot or at the least in the QB room and in camp/practice teaching him.

As a 1 year stop-gap and then potentially a reliable backup to whichever direction we go in 2014 (or maybe even starting?), I think it could work very well.

2. PearsonJones

PearsonJones New Member

Id take Matt Hasselbeck. Titans were poor this year, especially with CJ.9k

They looked better offensivly including CJ when Hasselbeck was playing

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't know why Kyle Orton does not get more attention here. He seems well suited to be a caretaker who can hold the fort until a future draft pick at Qb blossoms into Joe Namath v2.

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I like this idea. Is Orton available? I don't know why Dallas would trade him. He's one of the better backups in the league.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at David Garrard. If his knee is healthy, he'd be a big step up from what we've gotten from Sanchez the past two seasons.

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Why not give McElroy an opportunity to start this summer? He can be a perfect stopgap QB.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well the Tebots hate the notion, but Orton is not only one of the better backups, he started and had much better stats than Sanchez (of course who didn't). He also had experience playing in a major media market. I am not sure why he agreed to go to Dallas to be Romo's backup, but my guess is he wants to start somewhere else again.

I don't know that Dallas would agree to take Sanchez in a trade, but perhaps with enough other terms added, they might. If I were Idzik I would give Jerry a call.

7. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

if true, start McElroy, build the team out at other positions first, and wait until next year's draft for qb. I would rather tank the season than deal away any draft picks , since we have needs and depth problem areas all over.

clean up the cap and don't waste picks or cap money on another team's rejects.

you can sign a garrad, moore, or another vet at minimum for backup qb purposes.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i don't think dallas would want sanchez, they already have the upgraded version of him

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to not be a homer, but in the last 3 pages, we've had Fitzpatrick, AND ORTON fcol

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

But here's the thing, if we get last year Sanchez they are improvements. We have no idea what to expect from Sanchez, it's reasonable to bring in players like Orton who are decent and can hold over a QB position for a couple years if there is no starter. We have no idea what we are getting from Sanchez, none what so ever.

11. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

I'm on the Alex Smith bandwagon. I think we should try trading Revis for Alex Smith and the Niners 1st round pick.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bring in the cheapest option that can compete (and maybe) beat Sanchez in an open competition. Emphasis on cheap.

13. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Just listened to a recent interview from Matt Hasslebeck. Discusses backup role around the 5 minute mark.
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=8906743

He gives off the vibe that he's accepted the role of temp starter & tutoring young QB & then backing them up afterwards. After the interview, I'm really favoring this guy now. Hopefully, Jets can offer him a cheap 1 or 2-year contract.

I think he'll be able to "hold down the fort". He won't carry the team but he'll minimize the chances QB play is so bad that games become unwinnable. If somehow Sanchez turned it around then Hasslebeck would move to the bench without any drama also. Perfect QB for this team whether you're pro or anti-Sanchez.

#313 ajax, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Ok so Fitz or Orton, throwing to Gates Gilyard and Reuland, would have been better...,? Really?

15. XX2

XX2 New Member

Switch to the spread option. ;)

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

We will see if they are brought in. I don't think either ever turned it over at the propensity Sanchez did last season, so that would already put them better than Sanchez.

17. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

ANYBODY throwing to Gates, Gilyard and Reuland would be better than watching Sanchez give the ball to the opposition time and time and time again... More than any other player in the NFL. Aren't you tired of watching the same movie over and over??

Yeah, I know ... next year he'll somehow have an epiphany and miraculously stop fumbling and throwing interceptions. Because, as we all know ... it's everyone's fault but his own. He's really a good player ... everyone else is holding him back.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I guess it's Gates, and Reuland, and Gilyard fault that he ran into his offensive lineman's ass. It's their fault that he fumbles the ball like it's a hot potato, it's their fault that he stares down receivers and overthrows and underthrows receivers. It's their fault that he folds under pressure like a bitch, and it's their fault that he throws into triple coverage.

Yep when Sanchez shat the bed in 2012 it was because he had Reuland, Gates and Gilyard. Makes sense to me.

19. gonyjets

gonyjets New Member

Alex Smith to me has the most upside for right now, depending on what the Jets add in talent around him, if we were to get him, but Michael Vick is the best of the bunch but wouldn't make it here, I don't know much about Matt Flynn cause he hasn't played much, but you have to wonder what happened during training camp when he got beat out by a rookie

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Please do us all a favor and just stop. We are all sick of this act.