You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. lbblitz

lbblitz New Member

In 07 you can make the argument that it 'all' rested on the defense, but even then if it weren't for Manning's late game heroics they would have loss.

You're looking at this from a very binary point of view. It's rarely an either/or situation. You cannot play as well as the Giants passing game did and it not play a major role in getting you to a championship. In a teams' success some factors obviously have more influence/weight, but overall a combination of things have to go right.

#1321 lbblitz, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. lbblitz

lbblitz New Member

So if that's the case, what happened to the Texans who have JJ Watt?

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Texans had a bad run at the end of the year. They lost 4 out of their last 6 and the defense looked off-stride for the span of games. The defense actually looked subpar almost from mid-season on. What went on there? Who knows, but they were meat for the slaughterhouse going into that game in weather in New England and they got chopped.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Manning wouldn't have had a ball stick to a helmet if the D didn't shut down the greatest O in the league. Eli made plays, the Gianst were winning in a similar fashion we were. Good D and timely O but in the title games the Giants D stepped up and ours stepped back.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The Jets defense got drubbed in the first half, but we put up -7 points as an offense. If we don't turn it over, we go down 17-0 and probably pull out the W. On top of that, we needed a safety on a bobbled snap to rescue us after going 1st and goal and 0 points in the second half. The offense is as much to blame. If they just did nothing and went down 17-0 oh how history would be different.

The Colts game is a great example. Revis locked down Wayne so Manning found Drew Coleman/Strickland/anyone but Revis and beat us up and down the field doing that. Our offense fell apart due to Greene getting nicked up and down the drain went that game. The Cromartie move turned out to be a good move, drafting a CB in the draft turned out to be the wrong move, but if you were drafting a CB there no matter what, Wilson was the guy.

Peyton Manning actually tried that strategy on us in 2010. He handed off the ball a great deal of times because we sent so many DBs on the field. That was the weird game where every 3rd and 1, we sent out 6-7 DBs but they came up and made a stop. Every 3rd and 5 and 6, Manning audibled to a draw and we couldn't stop the RB in those situations from getting the yard. The next step that Bill took was to get TE so instead of running out of passing formations with 4 WR as Manning was doing, he decided to run the ball with two TE who then could split out wide and have a size advantage on our S at the time, or have speed advantage against our S and LB.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

-4 pts as an O on a very questionable fumble call. The problem was the D not only allowed Pitt to score 17 pts but allowed them to control the clock too.

would 17-0 have been that different? so if we still score to begin the 3rd we are down 17-7 instead of 24-10- not a huge difference. The bottom line is the O pulled us w/in 5 w/ plenty of time left and the D failed in the biggest spot of the game.

The Indy '09 game we had DB injuries in that game, as they sarated falling manning started heating up.

7. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

All i know is if you sign Revis to a 96M/6YR deal at $16M per, that amount will still count against the cap and that is a huge amount for any one guy on the team. You can debate the most valuable positions all you want, but my OPINION is CB is not in the top 5. Some argue you cut deadwood/turds to make up the room. You still have sign players for those positions you cut and if you don't want more "turds" then you better have cap room for those with talent. Some argue Revis for Draft picks is absurd (bc they are unpredictable), then don't argue that draft picks are your solution for filling those spots you just cut if they're so unpredictable.

8. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Would you as a Jets fan really be satisfied with that?

Foles didn't look good last year, IMO. Brown looked like a beast, but for what, 2 games? He's an undrafted rookie.

If I were the Jets, I think I'd much rather have the draft picks instead of the players so that I could draft my own guys. IMO, Foles should be solid/decent, but is that what the Jets are striving for at the QB position? Get picks and get a franchise guy, whether that is in a trade, this year's draft or next year's draft. The purpose of trading a franchise player like Revis is to improve the rest of your team. Don't settle for guys like Foles (mediocre) and Bryce Brown (an unproven, undrafted rookie that looked very good very briefly).

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Foles and Brown have more value to the Jets because Morningwood is installing a new system here. It's always easier to install a new system when you bring in guys who are already familiar with it. They're also both on cheap rookie contracts, so that increases their relative value. There are also 2 draft picks involved so I think there would be real value for the Jets here.

If Brown can stop fumbling he could be a straight beast.

10. AlToon

AlToon Member

Atlanta Falcons

1st round pick-30th pick overall

Peter Konz(2nd round pick in 2012. Center from Wisconsin. Started at RG for Falcons)or Sean Weatherspoon(1st round pick in 2010)

Conditional pick in 2014 based on Revis signing with Atlanta,% of snaps played,Falcons making Super Bowl. Could be a #1 or #2 if some the conditions are satisfied. A 3rd if none are satisfied. If Revis signs,it becomes a #1.

If Revis signs a new contract as part of the deal,price will be high. It should be high. 2 #1's and a player. A signed Revis.

#1330 AlToon, Jan 30, 2013
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Foles isn't that bad of a QB, especially one that just finished their rookie year. I thought he had 2 duds this season. I think he's worth developing here as a NYJ with his OC. Watching him in Philly, I thought he was mentally tough and he's got a strong live arm. He also has excellent height. Brown is better than of of our RBs here in NY, immediate upgrade. Plus the cost of these players are minimum at best. What you look for in a trade is high upside players, low cost, and draft picks. This trade does just that.

If Idzik and MM can convince Kelly that Foles isn't the right fit for their offense, I think we can get an offer out there.

No way in hell does Revis leave NY as a FA, his ass better get traded, or he better resign here. I don't want a stupid 3rd round compensation pick for him

#1331 101GangGreen101, Jan 30, 2013
  12. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im going to have to agree with the Bills fan here. Foles isnt even a great fit for the WCO- he has heavy feet and is more of a vertical passer. Brown had 2 great games... And then completely disappeared combining for less than 75 yards the final 4 games. He has major fumbling issues and is a huge question mark.

Why are all Jets fans so ready to take other people's garbage? I mean why cant we draft our own QB in the 2nd round and try and develop him? Not that that is what I would do, but Foles was in fact a 3rd round pick... For a reason.

If we are trading for a player, I would prefer that play had more success (for example Eric Decker). I personally dont see a franchise QB in Nick Foles so I would be very opposed to this.

13. 101GangGreen101

Foles is better than any of the QBs in this coming draft IMO. Foles was a very good player in Arizona. I think a QB with potential has much higher value then a good WR in Decker.

Tiki Barber had major fumbling issues as well. And didn't Shady return at the end of the season?

I don't see Foles and Brown as another team's "garbage"

14. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Which they aren't ... Especially Foles but with Vick almost gone and put of the equation you would think Foles wouldn't be going anywhere.

15. 101GangGreen101

It all depends on what type of offense Chip Kelly runs. The offense he ran in Oregon requires a duel threat QB, which Foles is not.

16. PuMa

PuMa Banned

It seems as though it would've harder to find a QB this offseason then others

17. 101GangGreen101

It's going to be a pain in the ass for teams that actually need a QB. I'm just sick of the stop-gap players like Alex Smith. It's prolonging our opportunity to draft a new QB that could pan out for us. 2014 could be our year finally.

I hope Kelly keeps Vick for one more season. He's still under contract. Vick has expressed a desire to play for Chip.

18. PuMa

PuMa Banned

I agree with the thought to find a QB in 2014 a good solid draft class full. Which is why I hate when people being up Emmanual In the 2nd round

19. 101GangGreen101

[​IMG]

This is the year we build our base to support the new QB in 2014. Offensive line, WRs, RBs, anything strong of value get them here so we can place the QB in the right situation and not pull a Sanchez. If we fuck up 2 franchise QBs in the row, we are better off never drafting a QB ever again!

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think thats horribly false... Foles is no where near Geno Smith. I dont even think he's near Mike Glennon. I think this QB class gets a horrible reputation. Yes, they are all flawed and none of them are elite prospects, but there are certainly some very good ones that with the right coaching could turn out to be very good. Mark Sanchez has potential... Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert have potential, look where that got them. If this is up to me, I would rather start McElroy and ride out the season and then move heaven and earth to get Teddy Bridgewater, a real franchise QB. I just dont think Nick Foles is a long term answer,

McCoy came back in the 2nd to last game. Point is, Bryce Brown had two great games against below average defenses. Thats it. He followed those two games with absolutely horrible performances and finished the the final 4 with less than 2 ypc. Me? I pass on him. If he's thrown in as an extra piece then Im fine with it, but in no way am I relying on him to be a true #1 RB.