You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

A 1st + a 2nd or 3rd in either the 2013 or 2014 drafts. Preferably one in each draft to spread them out over the course of time, giving the new HC in 2014 an extra pick.

2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Jamal Charles says hello as well. Let me remind you, THEY PLAY RB AND GET HIT ON EVERY PLAY. The ACL is not a concern, but other GM's will try to lessen the compensation with this tactic. The Jets may as well when they try to offer Revis a new deal. Fact is, an ACL is not a big deal anymore. Heck, Thomas Davis makes me think multipul ACL's arnt a big deal anymore either!

3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

And this pretty much sums you up BB! haha Your hate for sanchez and love for Revis cancel each other out. We get it, you love Revis and hate Sanchez. I dont think I can take another post of you hammering this point home! All in good fun pal

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Your method of arguing about Revis is equivalent to throwing spaghetti on the wall and seeing how many strands stick. First it's an argument that Cb's in general are overrated (how come everyone else, all those NFL GM's, are not as smart as you? Oh, you are entitled to your opinion, but don't pretend I and some others here are not the only ones who don't share it), then it's about his contract, then it's that the rest of the Jet secondary (based on this past year? You and others here like Barcs have not isolated the variable when you fail to acknowledge the substantial upgrade the Jets had at safety over 11 with Landry and Bell), to cap arguments.

The simple answer to THIS most recent iteration of your tirade against Revis is that if Sanchez were living up to his contract, the cap problem presented by Revis's contract is overcome. Sure the Jets have a problem in the coming year with the cap and the hit on it than Sanchez's contract makes. But trading Revis only exacerbates the cap problem this year. The simple fact is Sanchez will be gone in 14 if he is not already gone this year, and it is idiotic to trade Revis for cap reasons. Next year they will have much more flexibility under the cap.

5. lbblitz

lbblitz New Member

The reason why I asked that was because I seem to remember both Smith and Pool getting the vast majority of snaps throughout the playoffs. Drawing emphasis to my belief that many are underrating Revis' impact on this defense.

If you look at the Jets Giants game at Met Life in 2011, despite giving up that big Cruz play the Jets D held Eli Manning to a completion percentage of 33.1% and 225 yards passing; while having no dominant pass rush and with Smith and Pool playing at safety. Revis is the man.

If the organization highly doubts they'll be able to resign him I understand trading him, but other than that there are few circumstances where you should trade a player like this.

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

This is the only point that needs to be stated. Its not going to happen. trading = losing your best player and the best CB in the NFL + taking a 12M cap hit in 13 and net 3M cap hit in 14.

IF there was a cap benefit,THEN the Revis Haters could at least make that argument sound somewhat convincing. But there isn't and they can't so they need to stop talking about cap since trading Revis = worse cap situation.

Yet another reason why this rumor was baloney from the beginning.

Idzik will issue pink slips to the dead wood and look to sign Revis. Cro may be tradeable, but Revis isn't for numerous reasons including the cap hit to the NYJ.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

:rofl2:

And I thought it was just me.

Mevi$ is not worthy of a more than a high Two, and a conditional pick the second year.

He's a CB. You might find a GM that thinks he is the missing piece, and get to the first round, but riddle me this Batman.....

What GM will risk his career on a two time holdout, when his team could suffer an injury to another key player, and walk away with nothing?

(like we lost Holmes,Keller,and Hill)

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Another scenario would be to get Nick Foles from the Eagles. Add in some players and picks to the deal on both sides ...

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I still feel Revis' injury will keep him a Jet for the 2013 season.

1- Teams will be reluctant to offer Revis the kind of deal he wants to make the trade happen.

2- Teams will be reluctant to offer the Jets the kind of deal the Jets want to make the trade happen.

I don't know of any GMs that would offer a player the richest contract in the history of the NFL for a defensive player AND 1 or 2 first round pics to boot. That's a lot to offer for a player coming off major knee surgery, especially when the same player will be a FA after a year of recovering playing for the Ringling Bros.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Foles + Bryce Brown + 2013 2nd + 2014 conditional

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This is a great trade. Eagles can cut Nnamdi and get Revis instead, he's out of the conference, and I don't mind the Jets throwing a pick also to even things up. A 4th rounder or something. Chip can go find his duel threat QB to run his offense.

I like Foles and MM would be excited as well to work with his QB he helped develop. Bryce Brown is a beast also.

We should look to give the Eagles a call

12. Big Blocker

I know this is only a message board. But it is also true I spend a percentage of my time discussing the Jets here, and that means i have a certain commitment to the level of discourse here.

So while it is only a message board, it is also true I get upset to a certain point when I see what seem like stupid arguments that a sizeable group of people run with.

For example, meaning the most recent signficant example, there is the argument that the Jets pass D in 12 showed, compared to 11, that it was not hurt by Revis's absence.

Well that argument might have some merit if a straight comparison of stats between the two years could be made with Revis isolated as the only variable.

But of course that cannot be done, since half the secondary was different in 12, with one new member so successful that he went to the Pro Bowl.

And of course other factors included the outsize number of rookie Qb's the Jets faced in 12. And other factors as well, including how much better even in 12 the Jets did with Revis rather than without him.

For some here, and they know who they are, they ascribe to this notion that the cornerback position is unimportant. But putting aside that virtually quasi-religious belief, certainly not a logical or scientific one, what about the others who make light of the prospect of Revis's departure?

I think most of them are either overwhelmed by the complexity of the situation, which after all is complex. Or more likely they expect Revis will be gone, and want to put a sunny face on it by saying to themselves that will not be a big deal.

Trust me, if Revis is gone, it will be a big deal, and not a good one. And in the meantime, let's not kid ourselves with silly comparisons between 11 and 12 in the pass D.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And the Jets back was broken in that game by a 99 yard play to a guy Revis wasn't covering. There have been a lot of losses like that over the 6 years Revis has played for the Jets.

14. lbblitz

lbblitz New Member

The only reason why their back was broken was because the offense sucks. They were in the driver seat for most of the first half. They had their opportunities in the 2nd as well.

Very rarely do defenses alone carry a team to a Superbowl title, but you cannot neglect that they do play a big part. Case in point, as well as Eli played in 2011, if the Giants D line didn't hold up their end of the bargain, they would not have won the Superbowl (hell they probably wouldn't have made it to the playoffs).

15. Big Blocker

"Mediocre cornerbacks are the best ever!"

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That play changed the game and season for both teams. instead of having the ball near midfield w/ a chance to make it 14-3 or 10-3 at worst they were suddenly down 10-7 and it shook the team.

The Giants D was why they won 2 SBs, our D failing in title games was why we didn't make it.

17. Br4d

Yep. The Giants scored a grand total of 28 points in the first half of the 07 and 11 NFC Championships games and Super Bowls. They averaged 7 points a game at half time in the 4 biggest games of the decade for them.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Their defense played very well, but to help that the offense didn't do anything stupid ala the Jets in Pitt. Not getting a TD at the one yard line, giving up 7 extra points to the Steelers before half. We win that championship if we decided to run a simple draw on 3rd and long. But nope, we decided to take a shot down the field. What a time all season to actually be aggressive offensively.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Eli threw TWO passes up for grabs where SF Dbs collided each time or they would have been easy picks, Aahmad Bradshaw FUMBLED but they blew it dead. The biggest difference in the Jets at Pitt and NYG at SF was they ruled the Bradhsaw play dead andthe sanchez fumble a fumble. If those plays are reversed(and they should have been) we win and NYG loses.

Our O got the game back w/in 5, the D needed one stop. They could have allowed a 1st down but not 2 but of course they allowed 2 and ended the game.

20. Br4d

The Jets were on their heels defensively the entire first half of that game. They were not only giving up yards on the ground, they were being pushed off of the line of scrimmage. That first half was a disgrace for a defense that prided itself on being great. So was the 45-3 drubbing by the Pats that fall.

The Colts game the year before just pointed out exactly why Darrelle Revis was never going to be the key player on a great Jet's team. The second half of that game he couldn't even cover his own man, let alone anybody else's. Rex was so freaked out by that half of play that he went and traded for Cromartie AND drafted Kyle Wilson. Because he hadn't yet figured out that a CB based defense is never going to win for you in the cap-era NFL.

So he plugged some holes on the edges and then Belichik laughed at him and drafted two tight ends. So he went and got a couple of safeties and Belichik said, here, try defending against a balanced attack in a no-huddle with 5 and 6 defensive backs in the game. I'll just run it down your throat then.

The reason a great DE or OLB is the answer to that crap is that they're valuable in any of the fronts and against any of the strategies that a modern offense might use. A CB is just covering one guy.