Possible Revis spots

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Jan 24, 2013.

1. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Pass rushers make life easier for all DBs. One great CB can only do so much to help his pass rushers, but he can't control what happens to other players in coverage.

Regardless, if you believe both positions are equally important, the other advantages Miller has aren't subjective. He's younger, he's cheaper and he's not coming off a torn ACL.

2. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

I think you can win with Alex Smith. We're stuck with Sanchez, so I'd be happy bringing in a guy to compete with him.

I don't think we're going to get much better than a late first for Revis on his own, so I'd be happy getting a starting QB that doesn't turn the ball over every other possession.

3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

We could trade him right before the trade deadline week 7 or 8 next year.... It would make the trade less likely, though, when a team knows that they will get a high pick.

4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I think we can do much better then potentially the last pick in the first for Revis. If I'm trading him it's not for a guy to simply compete who is going to be cut anyway. We need a solid player and a good pick in good position.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Because half of the time that receiver is Brandon Lloyd, Brian Hartline, Denarius Moore, Josh Gordon, and Steve Johnson. And then the teams that have good #1 receivers like the Falcons, Saints and Steelers for example have other weapons that need to be accounted.

Is giving a CB 16 million to cover the likes of the above receivers worth it for half of the games on the schedule? Just because we can technically afford it, should we do it? We could afford Revis, Calvin Johnson, Drew Brees and Adrian Peterson technically...

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why would a last place team trade a top 5 draft pick for a prime CB for half a season when they're going to have to pay him a huge contract to stick around?

Wouldn't it be better to wait until he goes free agent and then blow him away with the offer?

7. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Yeah, I happen to think Alex Smith is a pretty decent QB, but I understand why others don't. I don't think we're getting much better than a late first for Revis, maybe a first and a third, but I'd rather have Smith than the third. I legitimately hope that we get one of the deals proposed in this thread, though.

8. Axel3419

Very good point, I was just brainstorming/spitballing, but you're definitely right about that (though with the Raiders, you never know...) .

I still don't think trading both corners will set us up for anything better in the future, though. Rebuilding doesn't mean dropping all of your assets, especially if it means starting Kyle Wilson has our #1 cb (the added draft picks aside)

9. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

LTJF posted the article I was referencing, then there is this too:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/20395/brandt-on-revis-hell-never-be-happy

"I don't think this kid is ever going to be happy, financially," Brandt said. "I think he and his representation have made it clear to the Jets and probably anyone else who asks, it's not enough to be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL today or even NFL history. They're into this whole 'premier player' negotiations, which has worked for two players.

"It worked for Chris Johnson -- although Adrian Peterson went past that -- and it worked for Larry Fitzgerald, where you're not compared to the market. This is their argument: Forget what cornerbacks make; he wants to be paid like the best players.

10. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

If we trade Revis for Alex Smith it is like going to lunch and trading a great Pizza for a bag of shit, because the bag of shit has started smelling less bad lately.

11. Axel3419

You have 3 options:

Eat the pizza today, be happy for awhile, and throw it up tomorrow (getting nothing out of the process except for a few hours of yummy goodness before it gets thrown away),

Pay $50 for the $10.50 pie (unless you can negotiate with the restaurant, which is known to be extremely stingy and hostile),

or trade it away to someone who, once he gets the pizza, still has to deal with the first two options (throwing it up or having to pay too much for it). This doesn't create very many favorable trades...

What do you do? Maybe a bag of shit isn't the best idea, but perhaps you can get a sandwhich instead or, even better, a few restaurant giftcards that can be used to pick up new pizza tomorrow if you're lucky. Hmm...

#351 Axel3419, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  12. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Saw this B.S. as an "ESPN rumor". If this is a fair deal in today's NFL then let's trade Sanchez for Von Miller.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh!

If the Broncos were willing to take Sanchez for Miller, I would even throw in a high pick. Certainly a second!

14. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

The best and most likely spot for Revis is in the 2013 NYJ opening lineup as starting CB and Defensive Captain after signing a 5 yr extension.

15. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

You seem to be missing the point that the Jets are seemingly unwilling to meet Revis demands which will be north of $100 million. Two options: 1 more year and a compensatory pick possibly, or trade him now for best value you can get.

Long term trading him now is best option.

16. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

you seem to be missing the point which is that rumors about Revis' demands are not etched in stone. There will be substantial opportunity for the sides to enter into an agreement. Trade him now is the worst option since it is a cap killer, a PR disaster and hurts the team. As such its the least likely scenario because it makes the least sense.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm hoping Idzik can do something Tanny could not do. That is out-negotiate Revis's agents and get him to sign a nice deal to remain here. Tanny always had an issue with those Revis's agents as they represented Leon Washington. Leon Washington was sent to the Seahawks, and Idzik was there at the time. Who knows? Idzik could help us here.

18. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Nice hat Mr. Holdout

[​IMG]

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The problem is if we do sign him to lower demands, what are the chances 2-3 years down the road, he holds out? Very high. He's already held out twice in his career.

Same as above. The deal has to be nice, it can't be front loaded, and it has to find a way to stop Revis from holding it out, and it has to be beneficial to us. If Revis never held out before, this would be so much easier to do, but any potential contract, you have to wonder/have concern 2-3 years will he start holding out?