September Honeymoon Advice

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Jan 27, 2013.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Getting married on Sept 7th and my job is booking the honeymoon. Bride to be is worried about hurricane season and we've both been to Aruba so we were thinking Curacao. But it looks like the hotels aren't as nice and could be a mosquito issue. So now we're back to maybe Aruba or risking it with another place in Carribean.

Any ideas/recommendations? Do I just get the insurance and hope for the best weatherwise? Or is there a place in one of the ABC islands or somewhere else that someone's been that time of year?

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I went on a 8-day vacation with the gf to Dominican Republic from Sept 7-15th last year.

let me tell you...It never rained then. Hurricane season is a bigger issue around mid-late august. Middle of September is not as bad as you think it is.

Plus, it was peaceful and not as overly crowded. I wouldnt let it deter you from planning a honeymoon in September. In DR, we did not have a mosquito issue in the resort. If you plan on going into the town then yes you may need bug spray.

Went to Aruba 2 years ago in early June and mosquitoes were plenty in the middle of town. Are you staying in a hotel or resort?

Dominican Republic was very very good, I recommend a resort over a hotel as well if its a honeymoon

3. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Hurricane seasons have been big duds the past 6-7 years....

All Hype and All Duds.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Two words: Cruise Ship.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Take two weeks and go to Hawaii. You won't regret it.

6. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

My wife and I enjoyed cruising the Greek Isles last summer. Spent a couple of days in Venice first.

7. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

italy is for lovers.

or you can go the cheap route and take her to Virginia, which is also for lovers apparently.

8. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Get this question a lot. And my response is: It all depends on your spending budget.

9. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Really?, Sandy happend just 3 months ago!

I guess if it doesn't happen to you it didn't really happen.

10. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Thinking in the 3K neighborhood. We've done a cruise so were thinking of doing something different. I'm hesitant to do a big Euro trip. If we're gonna go it'd be the kind of thing I'd want to plan out and make sure I saw different things and whatnot and after all this wedding stuff I think that's the last thing I want to do.

11. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Don't do Europe. As you said, you will want to plan it out. And it will cost more that your budget. Check out Bali - a really beautiful place.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I would say it might well depend on the couple. A couple who are still getting to know each other might well want to spend a good deal of time lolling around a resort, not leaving the hotel room until mid to late afternoon, hanging on the beach. But you're also kind of captive to what the resort offers.

A couple who have been together for awhile and are just now getting married might well be up for a more challenging trip. In which case I would pick Italy, too. Fly into Rome. September is a good month to go to the Italian Riviera, too. Go to Venice and Florence. You can do that trip for two weeks for around 4K.

Depends on the couple.

13. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Well then I'd say it depends on their age (you don't have to disclose). Mid to late 20s, probably want to go do something more on the lively side. Mid 30's+ probably want to relax and enjoy each others company.

But to each their own. Personally, a major trip like that, something like 2 weeks, id want to take time out to plan. And Id certainly like to see more than 1 country in that time frame.

14. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

When I got married two years ago we did a west coast trip. Rented a car started out in San Francisco, caught a Giants game, went to fishermen’s wharf. Think we stayed 2 or 3 days, then drove to Hollywood, stayed there for two days, didn't really like it, it was like a bad copy of NYC. From there drove Anaheim and went to Disney for a day, that was cool. Then finished the trip off with a Drive to Vegas, think we spent 5 or 6 days there, that was a lot of fun stayed at the Aria.

The pacific coast highway is amazing, a must see.

15. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Hawaii can be done with some good planning. Hotwire and Priceline are your friends. We got a week in Maui (Kaanapali Beach) in the Hyatt Regency (awesome) for about $1500 on Hotwire. We also had free airfare, which helped. The food and activities are expensive but again with good planning you can manage that.

South America is relatively inexpensive (Argentina and Brazil).

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think it ultimately depends on what you want to do. While hurricanes rarely hit the ABC Islands they still could be an issue. If you are just going to be doing the nasty the entire time do something cheaper but if you are actually going to do other activities on your honeymoon find something that appeals to both of you.

I travel... a lot. I like to explore and my ex wife hated me because I never wanted to just stay in the hotel. Eyedea's suggestion is a really good one. If you've never spent any significant time in Cali I would suggest flying into LAX and renting a car and driving the 90 minutes to Santa Barbara. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the country, it's less croweded then the bigger cities on the coast and it's location offers wine tours, beach and scenery. You could drive to Big Sur in a few hours or hit up the areas where the movie Sideways was filmed.

17. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

see my signature :)

18. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

We did not want to do the same old tropical island b.s. Only thing I would have switched was LA for maybe Santa Barbara or San Diego. San Fran was awesome, I still cant get over how steep some of the streets are. The red wood trees were amazing.

19. PearsonJones

PearsonJones New Member

Shame the dollar sucks these days otherwise Europe would of been decent for you.

Paris cost me $3.5k for a week, and I live in England. (was a last min deal for me and my ho though)

Croatia is the most beautifull place in the world, And its cheap atm.

Check out Dubrovnik

20. Satire?

Satire? Guest

indianapolis

if u like racism