My biggest Jets diappointment

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KyleJetfan, Jan 29, 2013.

1. KyleJetfan

KyleJetfan Active Member

As a huge Jets fan my whole life (38 yrs) my biggest disappointment came in 2002. Watching the prep of the SuperBowl reminds me of this every minute. I am a big follower of college football and have analized things throughout the year. In 2002, we needed a safety in a big way. At the 22nd pick we chose Bryan Thomas, LB, UAB. The front office decided to take Jon McGraw later to address this. Anyone who watched college football then knew what Ed Reed was. He was electrifying in college. A ballhawk, hard hitter, and played pissed off. The Ravens took him at 24. It was my biggest WTF moment in Jets history. Kyle Brady a close second. But, Ed Reed was the no brainer pick, the cant miss, and watching him play over the past 11 years makes me say "I told you so" a thousand times. A game changer, a need position, a defensive player of the year. So while everyone is caught up in the Ray Lewis hype, remember the "coulda, shoulda, Ed Reed pick that haunts us to this day. I know its my two cents, but some picks just baffle me. Im no GM. I only played college ball 2 years. Mistakes happen, but wow, I think it would have been awesome to see Ed Reed in Jets green.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

My biggest Jets disappointment was that pathetic start to the Steelers game in the AFC championship game.

What were we down 24-0 at halftime? only to lose 24-20?

Closely followed up Doug Brien the bitch ass kicker that botched the kick twice in 2004 or 2005?

3. KyleJetfan

KyleJetfan Active Member

Ouch, thanks for reminding me of the Brien misses. I was standing in fron tof the Tv saying, "OMG we are going to the SuperBowl". That hurt bad.

4. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Funny that Reed finally makes the Super Bowl the year in which PFF ranked his season 59th among 88 qualifying safeties.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think my biggest Jets disappointment was in 2002/2003 also, although 1999 comes close. Losing to the Raiders in the Black Hole in the playoffs for the second year in a row at the end of 2002 really sucked. Losing the Jetskins a month and a half later was horrible. Trading up for D-Rob shortly after that was just a killer. That's when Br4dw4y5ux was born.

6. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

2010 was a heart breaker. All that hype and momentum going into the AFC CG the second straight year only to get smashed out 24-0 to almost comeback and lose 24-19... That one still fucking stings.

7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

The A.J. Duhe game. Prick Shula watered down the field to bog down Wes Walker and make Freeman less shifty. Of course, Richard Todd, the Mark Sanchez of the 80's, did not help. But the league should have been in charge of the field conditions for a championship game. Playing in the mud when it had not rained was cheesy and embarrassing. It sent David Woodley to the SB.

8. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Losing to the Patriots this year. Several opportunities to win the game, none of them taken.

9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Biggest Disappointment:

Draft wise - When we passed on Sapp. Don't get me wrong, passing on Marino, Ed Reed, etc. was also frustrating. However, I've never seen the Jets fanbase so united behind one draft pick. Every bar I'd go to, every fan I met at school & work felt Sapp was the obvious choice. The fans screaming for Sapp in that infamous youtube video was most likely duplicated all over Jet Nation. The next pass rusher this franchise comes up with (years later) quits on this team so he doesn't injury himself going into Free Agency.

Game Wise - It's gotta be the AFCCG against the Broncos. In that SB, the Falcons had no shot to beat the Broncos or Jets. It wasn't gonna be something embarrassing like Niners vs. Broncos but the AFCCG winner was going to win that Super Bowl. Only 30 minutes away from getting there and the Jets just kept turning it over & over & over .... damn. With the Kotite years still fresh in my mind, that SB would've tasted even sweeter.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Game: Doug Brien. Doug Brien. Doug Brien. Doug Brien. followed by
    Draft: Kicker with our first draft pick in the second round....

(Jets memories started late 90s/early 2000s. The 98 championship is a blur at best)

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Biggest disappointment: play-off games against Cleveland

12. KyleJetfan

KyleJetfan Active Member

Blake Spence blocks that punt and its 10 zip at half I think? Then TD takes over. Brian Cox plays with a broken leg, unbelievable.

13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

recently, my favorite time was drafting mark sanchez, but my least favorite time was also drafting mark sanchez

overall its ken obrien. dude wasn't bad, but it just bothers me how we selected him over DAN FUCKING MARINO

14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

In my lifetime, the worst loss is the divisional loss to the Steelers on Jan 15, 2005. I was in the living room of my grandparents' house and surrounded by Steelers fans. We should have won that game and been in the AFCC. We were good enough that year to beat Denver and Seattle. Should have been our year.

15. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

I have to agree with you 100% KyleJetfan. The moment they picked Bryan Thomas I was pissed because Ed Reed was the better pick but the rumors around that draft that year was that the Patriots were going to take Thomas later on in the first round and the JETS took the guy instead like gullible fools.

Ed Reed is a future Hall of Famer, while Bryan Thomas sure did set the edge for the JETS defense smh.

I just wonder if the JETS scouts did their homework because Ed Reed was the better player hands down.

16. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Simple.

Thanksgiving night game 2012 we gave the media everything they wanted and more all I seen was the NFL front page "How to lose a game in 50 seconds.. JETS STYLE" pissed me.off so much wow I hate how the media portrays us we are constantly bad mouthed even if we do something good it gets turned negitive 2009&2010 were the best no one could say anything

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The Ed Reed non pick was a disaster, what made it worse was how good our 1st round was the year before. We already went with pass rushers with Abe and Ellis only to swing and miss big time on Thomas. He was a decent player but certainly never lived up to a 1st round pick.

18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

For me the biggest disappointment was the 2010 AFCCG, it still stinks to this day to know that the Jets were THAT close. I still have the feeling that if the Jets got the ball back they would've won.

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

1998 season. The '99 AFCG in Denver. Up 10-0 in the third quarter. Watching Keith Byars put the ball on the ground deep in Denver territory. 3 turnovers on Denver's side of the field. So damn close.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Honestly don't know wtf Byars was even thinking on that play. It was unbelievably stupid/reckless to attempt that idiot dive on 1st down. That offense was too good for such hero gambling moves.