Cromartie To Be Traded Instead??Cimni

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Jan 27, 2013.

1. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

The difference is those SB teams have great QBs, great pass rushers, etc. The Jets have NONE of those things. Right now our defense excels because of our secondary, it would be foolish to break that up.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So instead of going and finding a great QB and a great pass rush we should keep doing the thing that we know doesn't work, relying on our secondary to carry the day?

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

How does trading Revis, or even Cro, get us that QB?
    If this was a QB intensive draft like last year, i would pony up Revis and our #9 pick to move up to #2. That isn't this draft.

4. Br4d

Trading Revis for a top 5 pick this year probably nets us the pass rusher we've been missing for the last 7 seasons. We probably can't do that deal even up but it wouldn't cost a lot more to get it done. We'd get a 22 year old pass rusher out of the deal who would take up about a quarter of the space on the cap that Revis will over the next 4 or 5 seasons.

We'd probably still have the 9 to take an offensive lineman or even another pass rusher. We might even wind up taking Dee Milliner on that pick if he got down to us and other changes had happened in our defensive secondary before the draft.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is your new worst post ever. Each day lately brings a new low.

The salary cap absolutely does not say where you can have your highest paid players. Just stop with the nonsense.

6. Br4d

Alright. I surrender. You're not adding anything to the conversation for me at this point.

7. Big Blocker

Fixexd that for you.

"No matter what, let's blame the cornerbacks!"

I am starting to think someone who was a cornerback assaulted some family member of yours.

8. Big Blocker

"Probably"

Like when the FO picked Gholston with the sixth pick in the draft?

Watch Wilkerson and Coples develop into great pass rushers, and then Joe Flacco shreds our D like he did Denver's, going to Smith and Boldin.

9. Big Blocker

You refuse to address the counters to your arguments.

What you are trying to say and are doing a lousy job at is that the salary cap does not allow teams to go beyond a certain number of highly paid players.

We can all agree on that.

What it does NOT say is there is some rule about what positions those players should be in. Yes, certain positions, all other things being equal, are more important to varying degrees than others. Qb obviously being formost among them.

But the trick is not only to have a highly paid Qb. The trick is to have a highly paid Qb who is earning his pay. Revis and Cro are not the problem there. Sanchez is.

10. CurbYourEnthusiasm

No, my point is you keep your strength while trying to add around said strength. Not get rid of the strength (robbing peter to pay paul) as a means to fix up other areas.

11. Br4d

If there was no cap you're right on this. If the Jets could lock up Revis for long enough to put all the pieces in place around him that are necessary for him to become valuable you're right. If the Jets could guarantee they could keep Revis without fouling up the cap you're right.

Unfortunately none of those things are true. The Jets can't lock up Revis long-term without making him an offer that would make him forgo his free agency next year. That offer would both foul up the cap and be a living nightmare for the team if Revis was unable to return to play at the same level or suffered another injury next season or even in the next few seasons.

There's no predictability at all in Revis value moving forward. He wants a huge contract with lots of guarantees in it anyway.

You want the real nightmare scenario? The real nightmare scenario is not that Revis leaves at the end of next year for only a sandwich pick after the 3rd round in 2015. The real nightmare scenario is that the Jets bend and give him a huge contract of the $15-16 million a year variety with all of it guaranteed one way or the other and then Revis can't play well enough (or at all) to justify it.

That's the no-Revis, no-value for Revis, dead-cap scenario that would absolutely cripple the Jets chances to be competitive in the short term moving forward, maybe longer.

12. CurbYourEnthusiasm

Fair points. I was looking at the cap per nyjetscap.com and it seems like we don't have a lot of guaranteed money after 2013 (something like $60 million in contracts). I think Revis and Cro are affordable IF (and obv a big if) Revis doesn't ask for that $15-$16 million.

But agreed with what you wrote about the contract. That case can be made for any player given a large contract, that you fear he won't live up to it.

I also wouldn't give Revis a big contract unless he proved he was his old self (nor do I think any other team will), which is why I think he needs to play a few games if we decide to trade him.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

IF revis only asks for 12 million lets say, how much faith do you have after 2 years into his contract he doesn't hold out again if he looks 100%? That's one of the hidden risks with him. He held out coming into the league, he held out a couple years ago and threatened or let it leak he was thinking of holding out again before thei injury

14. Br4d

This is exactly what we should expect he'll do. It's why you cannot front load a contract for him, because as soon as the rich years are gone by he's going to hold out for more cash. It's his pattern.

If the Jets do sign him is should be with an even division of salary across the contract and language that prevents him from holding out. Say a $100K a day fine for each day that he holds out of team activities without permission.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Maybe part of the reasoning behind this whole "leak" was to get that conversation started in the media to help set expectations for Revis? If media and/or other teams are having "leaks" talking about his value being lower because of the possibility of a hold out maybe he and his team have to work on fixing that.

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's going to be a very interesting contract.

Well I was mentioning before the injury there was a rash of stories, "Revis hold out, Revis contract, Revis etc" coming from what I would guess was the Revis camp.

This actual leak of dealing Revis is what I think you are addressing?

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

18. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

i feel like, under normal circumstances, revis should be totally untouchable. but with his regular stick-up heists, the negatives start to outweigh the positives.

we wouldn't even be having this discussion were he not such an immense pain in the ass when it comes to his contract.

19. Br4d

I think the current leak was planned. The Jets have a very tough fight in front of them in either case, sign him or trade him it's not going to be easy. Getting him into the news cycle, and he'll be there now until something is resolved, was a way of beginning to gauge the market for him both in a trade and in free agency next year.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Exactly. You can NOT front load a contract with him. Lets say we give him a contract that averages about 12.5 over the entire course of a 5 year contract, which is seems reasonable and Im sure many here would love to keep Revis at that price. But what if the first 2 year are at 16 millions and then the last 3 are at about 10 million. What makes anyone comfortable that he wont hold out after those first 2 years on the contract?

And I highly doubt he would do a deal thats backloaded... He's going to want his money (15-16 per year) and he wants it immediately. I just dont see a scenario where we can get him on a deal that averages something reasonable of about 11-12.5 per year.