Cromartie To Be Traded Instead??Cimni

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The point is you don't need elite corners if the rest of your D is as strong as the Ravens and your Qb has finally stepped it up to the top ten level, and your RB is great.

Since none of those is true of the Jets, it's apples and oranges.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So then all we need is 2 elite corners and we're good to go? Are you good with spending 20% of the cap on 2 corners?

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

You are assuming we pay Revis 16mil per, + retaining Cro to get to 20% cap number at CB.
    Cro i believe goes up to 10mil in 2014, which would make that percentage even higher.

that is a high percentage, and i highly doubt both those scenarios would play out. it will be hard to keep both players considering all the roster spots we need to fill out, and i don't think there is anyway Revis gets 16mil per.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Some think it is sensible to have a slew of 10+M contracts in one roster - as long as we can 'restructure' we are good. (Good my ass.)

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Okay, then we use those picks to draft 2 corners and we're back to almost where we started but worse because those players are not guaranteed. Plus we would have mostly rookie line backers. Stupid move. You don't run a football organization to get good players and then deal them as soon as the going gets tough. When you hit on one, you try to keep them. I can understand trading 1 because we have too much money at CB, but the team DOES NOT NEED a full rebuild. It literally makes no SENSE AT ALL. You'd be okay with Kyle Wilson as the #1 and 2 rookies behind him? :rofl: Glad you're not a GM. You trade both CBs, Rex will immediately resign. Probably would make you happy though.

#105 Barcs, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Only thing is it's really the Ravens coming to life on offense that has been winning them games lately. They don't have to rely on the D as much. Plus they have Ed Reed, Suggs and Ray Lewis. There's more than 1 way to build a D. Strong corners and weak up front, the QB has more time, but the throws are more difficult. Strong up front and weak corners means the QB has less time to throw, but chances are a guy will be open and he just needs to find them. An elite QB WILL find them most of the time. And Webb is good solid CB. Good enough to compliment that defense well.

#106 Barcs, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  7. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I suppose after his recent diet that might be fair..... but I'm still not sure I woud refer to Rex as a 'small' segment of anything.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The problem is it is a never ending cycle. Revis is to expensive or Cro is Expensive then Wilk and Coples will be to expensive and so and so on.

That is why rebuilding in this league does not make sense every team has huge holes you are just more aware of the Jets holes.

What is needed is a smart GM that works with his coaching staff to plug the right holes to win.

If we had great LBs we would be having the same discussion about weak corners or weak D-line.

Trading the best corner in the league for Guess picks is not smart we need players.

9. Big Blocker

Two things, one a general consideration, the other one that applies specifically to the Jets.

Most playoff teams (really, I think all of them, but I don't want to make sure right now there might not be an exception, and in any event the general rule applies) have a mix of highly paid excellent players, the others not so much. The Pats for example have not only Tom Brady, but also Logan Mankins, Vince Wolfolk. They have their TE's in long term agreements.

Any successful team will have a core of quality players to support the rest of the team, which is typically made up of more average players, including those who are still working under their original contracts.

But do all those playoff teams have their best and most highly paid players in the same positions?

No.

Yes, you want to have one of them be your Qb. Well the Jets have that, too. Only problem is he sucks, and is grossly overpaid.

That is not Revis's fault.

Is there some rule, or some basic consideration about football, that means a cornerback cannot be one of your best players? Some here with some kind of strange agenda I cannot fathom may ardently believe, or say they do, that is the case. But that case has not been made.

Moving from this general consideration to the Jets, the fact that the Jets have two (among their total core of highly paid players) who are cornerbacks does not mean they do not have enough money to have enough core players elsewhere on the roster, and nor does it mean that they cannot win games with those two being cornerbacks.

Quite simply, if Sanchez was three quarters as good as Joe Flacco, if Greene didn't fall down on first contact, if Hill actually produced, if Holmes had not gotten hurt, the Jets probably would have made the playoffs this year.

And then you come to Rex's approach to the game. I like everyone here wishes the Jets had more of a pass rush. Gholston was supposed to help there, and perhaps Wilkerson and Coples will continue to improve enough to give the Jets a real pass rushing threat. But the Jets defensive identity is built on having two cb's who can man cover the opponent's wideouts. And Wilson is not dependable (another FO move that is questionable).

The Jets would have to change their whole D if both Cro and Revis were gone.

What happened last year with Revis out, and whether one or the other should go, or has to go, now is another discussion. But there is nothing inherently wrong about having two great corners. The Raiders won a Super Bowl with Haynes and Hayes. There's no rule against it.

#109 Big Blocker, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yes, there is. It's called the salary cap, which those Raiders teams never had to deal with.

11. Big Blocker

LMAO!

The salary cap says you can't have two of your core players be cornerbacks?

12. Br4d

Yes, it does. Point to the teams that have spent like that at CB and won in the salary cap era.

13. allencjets

allencjets New Member

I wouldn't mind the jets trading cro. its the best time to do it

14. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

I know Revis is coming off an injury, but I can't imagine that Cro would garner the same value on the market.

15. Br4d

Cromartie probably has a ceiling of a 2nd round pick or so. Revis has a celing of a 1st round pick or so. If the Jets had the option to franchise him at the end of the season his value would be a bit higher because they wouldn't be dealing from the position of losing him without recourse at the end of the 2013 season.

CB trade value is lower than salary value at the moment. There's a real disconnect between the way teams treat CB's in trade talks and free agent talks. It's not logical but it is what it is.

A young Champ Bailey coming off of 4 pro bowl appearances at the age of 25 was traded to the Broncos for a good-looking young runningback in 2004. The Redskins threw in a 2nd round pick to make the deal. That's the reality of CB value and Mike Shanahan was smart enough to know that Clinton Portis, a player who would touch the ball 300 times a season was more valuable than Champ Bailey, a better player who would effect less than a third as many plays.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No.

That would be called....common sense.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

True to form...you go 6 paragraphs, and end with Hayes, and Haynes?

Ok, here's a little dose of reality.

That's PRE SALARY CAP era.

What a joke.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't see the issue with testing the waters for Cro or Revis trade. If one team is silly enough, and all it takes is one team and some rumors, to trade a 1st and more for either one, you have to consider it. Nothing wrong with testing the waters. In theory our defense shouldn't need 2 great corners anymore if the pass rush comes along. Having 2 great corners would be awesome, I love watching Revis and Cro play, but no hurt seeing what teams would offer for either one. If you can create a bidding war and get it to multiple first round picks, good work by our GM. If not, you keep both of them and find a way to deal with Revis and his agents. Who knows, maybe Revis doesn't look elite this year and lets us get some leverage to pay him only 10-12 instead of 16 million.

19. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

For Revis we better get a dominant pass rushing DE or MJD and high draft pick.

For Cro, we better be able to lock up Revis for life.

20. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Wish there was a way we could keep both revis and cro