Possible Revis spots

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Jan 24, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

This would probably be the most painful thing ever to experience. Im sure a team is willing to give him the money he wants (or close to it).

2. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Miller has 30 sacks in 31 career games, including 18.5 this season. He also has eight forced fumbles and an interception.

Miller is one of the elite defensive players in the NFL, is 23 years old, isn't returning from a torn ACL and costs a fraction of Revis. As great as Revis is, we can't expect a team to send back a young, elite defensive player for him, never mind a young, elite defensive player plus picks. I don't think the Broncos would even entertain the discussion if we called to ask about a Revis for Miller deal, but I think at a minimum, we'd have to give them Revis and a second rounder.

3. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

And as icing on the cake (due to a twist in his contract) if Revis gets to FA we not only lose him, but we also take a $9M cap hit.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Having the money to make a payment on a sports car doesn't mean doing so would be good for your family.

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I must of missed it but can someone please post the article that quotes Revis saying he wants $100 million or a quote saying exactly what he's looking to get?

I mean any quote, even from his agent. I'm just trying to figure if this is just a bunch of absolute horse shit talk..

Thankssss :up:

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This is one of those quotes that you never really know if it came from the player/agent or if someone is making an educated guess based on his past dealings.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/revis_wants_to_run_dash_N7JtAAmUowI7BwNng58MAP

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am skeptical of the Trade Revis Mania, but that does not mean I think the Keep Him Here option is an easy one.

The Jets have some, not a lot, but some leverage, though. Sure he can stay here and play out the year. But meanwhile he will be underpaid, risking injury for a whole year without a long term agreement in place, and no guaranteed money after this year's relatively paltry sum. Right now, other teams who may be interested in him have to be wary of his knee. And those teams, I would think those who are essentially (at least in their own minds) a shut down corner away from competing for the SB may have other options they may wish to pursue that are less risky.

Meanwhile the Jets can afford to see how Revis's rehab is progressing, and can sign him at some point during hte off season.

Of course if Revis is determined to play out the coming season no matter what (and there are reasons for him to consider that approach), then his trade value will not be great, anyway. To be clear here, if he's not willing to sign an extention with the Jets, why would he be with another team?

Again, those teams that think Revis might put them over the top will want to know his condition before putting eggs in that basket. In short, the timing here could provide the Jets with leverage.

As a digression I am not so sure the Skins are the most likely option. They have their own health issue to straighten out in assessing their prospects for an SB, specifically Griffin's own knee.

All the reasons put forward here for getting rid of Revis have problems. All of them.

So let's stop pretending that getting rid of him is the obvious way to go forward.

8. NFL

NFL Active Member

The point is, Jets could afford him. Especially if they build through the draft. Why not not worry about the #1 receiver the whole game and focus on everyone else?

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I reasd that article, and it makes a number of assumptions. The most significant is that what may have been a casual conversation by some member of the Jets staff about what some other team might be interested in giving up for Revis is HARDLY a commitment to deal him no matter what.

And of course at the right price the Jets might well have wanted to deal Revis. This is pretty much true of every player in the league. The Colts even let Peyton Manning go. At the right price, the Patriots could even deal Tom Brady.

At the right price.

And of course the Jets DID NOT trade Revis before that injury - so much for that talk.

I would also note that unless an employee had the Jets permission to talk to Revis's agent, wasn't that call referred to tampering with Revis's contract? Better put the NFL office on that trail.

I do think, however, if that story really did come from Woody, he is once again a proven idiot for doing that. Why get Revis up in arms without talking to him face to face, like luckily Idzik did in trying to calm it down? Be up front instead of making another Jet Mess on the back pages.

Things haven't changed much since Tanny got fired. The Head Clown is still running the show.

But... there's a slim hope here that Idzik has some leverage in running the team. No one here knows how much, but I do think right now Woody cannot afford some public display of a different approach by the GM he just hired. So let's see what happens.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Strange. I just looked it up and you are right. I wonder why it said .5 sacks a game on the ESPN defense player rankings. Maybe they didn't include half sacks, only solo? I could see their value being equal at worst, still. Revis is one of the best to ever play his position, Von Miller is good, but not THAT good. When you list top 5 corners of all time, Revis is in the discussion easily. Top 5 linebackers? Von Miller is probably not even mentioned. If the Broncos could use any improvement it's in the secondary. Peyton Manning + Revis on the same team is a scary thought and after Flacco lit them up with deep shots this year, they might actually consider it.

#330 Barcs, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

You won't find the quote because it doesn't exist. It was just a speculative article based on "someone familiar with his thinking". What does that even mean? What a joke. There's no evidence Revis was ever unhappy with his contract or anything of the sort. People are just doing the usual appeal to emotions to gain ratings on a website. It's all speculation as usual.

I still think Cromartie is the better trade. His value is as high as it's going to get, while Revis is as low as it's going to get. Revis can't hold out this year, so Idzik has a whole season to work a new deal with him. I'd say trading Cro brings in almost the same value that Revis does. Send Cro to the chiefs for the overall #1 pick, maybe sweeten the deal a little.

#331 Barcs, Jan 29, 2013
  12. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

I hope this doesn't come across rudely because it isn't my intent.

I think you're being blinded a bit by Jets loyalty. I guarantee there's not a single Broncos fan that would rather have Revis than Miller, either. Miller is younger, cheaper, dominant and plays a "more important" position (in the minds of many) than Revis. A player that pressures the QB makes decent cornerbacks good by limiting the time to throw. A great cornerback helps the defensive line, but without other good DBs to also buy more time, there's only so much he can do.

Von Miller is almost certainly going to finish second in Defensive Player of the Year voting and is the only true competition to JJ Watt for the award. He is an elite player, every bit as elite as Revis is. He's cheaper, younger and not injured. I just don't think it's even close in terms of trade value when everything is taken into context. I genuinely think the Broncos wouldn't even consider Revis and a second for Miller.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It works both ways. Good corners improve linebacker play just like good linebackers improve corner play. I didn't see Von Miller stopping the Flacco to Torrey Smith connection in the Divisional round. They got exploited and couldn't handle Smith in the secondary. Boldin is a big reason for that as well. That wouldn't have happened with Revis and Cromartie covering them. Just sayin. I know Von Miller's a great player, I don't care about what Broncos fans opinions are. He good and that's why I want him. It's probably a pipe dream, but it doesn't seem like an unfair deal.

#333 Barcs, Jan 29, 2013
  14. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I agree, but IMO I wouldn't mind trading Revis and a pick (not a first) for Miller b/c we're probably going to be using a high pick for a passrusher anyway, so losing one to get Miller wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Trading Cro for a few picks is my ideal scenario, though.

15. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Also, is it possible to trade Revis to a bottom-5 team for just their 2014 1st round pick? That would get us the Qb that we want. We'd then have 2 1st round picks, one of which would hopefully be a top 5 draft pick.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We can't figure out who the bottom 5 teams are going to be in 2014.

None of the bottom 5 teams in 2011 repeated in the bottom 5 in 2012.

17. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Would anyone pull the trigger on a 1st round pick + Alex Smith for Revis? I would really have to think about it.

18. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

I would take a first and Alex Smith and be pretty happy about it.

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

THIS!!

We cannot trade Revis just for the sake of trading him. I'm open to the idea but we better be receiving proper compensation.

20. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

so the 31st or 32nd pick plus an average QB? really?

I'll take that as part of the package but there better be more.

I'd prefer a mid round pick plus a player and possibly even a conditional future pick based on health(GP).