Possible Revis spots

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Jan 24, 2013.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

We can't pay our good players what they want because our bad players have bad, messy contracts thanks to our previous GM.

That's the reality we have to deal with.

2. NFL

NFL Active Member

I agree with this 100%.

If your team builds through the draft, the salary cap is very easily manageable. You shuffle players in and out. I agree though, when the Revis trade turns into just another bust I don't want to hear people complaining.

I've pointed out what you said about gutting our secondary. All thee people who are for the Revis trade will start crying and calling for the heads of Kyle and Cro (when he returns to his usual above average self).

You guys better hope we strike gold and get an OLB who can give us 10+ sacks at the minimum, cus if not, this defense will look just as bad as the offense, and don't bring any of that Rex is a defensive genious bullshit, no one will be able to work with the players on this team if the drafts don't strike gold.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

IF the Woodson was playing at Pro Bowl form the packers might have made another trip to the super-bowl this year. The saints had a defense they might be the best team in the NFL.

In the NFL it seems you have a choice a good defense or a good offense. Packers, Patriots, Saints went with Offense the Niners and Ravens Defense both are in the superbowl.

Lets not make the mistake of what a good defense looks like today keeping a team under 17 points is just not realistic in todays NFL. You also don't need a superstar QB look at Flacco and Kaepernick not HOF QB's neither is Eli Manning.

Offense needs to be explosive make big plays keep turnovers to minimum play good defense.

Revis is invaluable if he can be had for reasonable price. He makes the whole defense better and covers up for a weak LB unit.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Patriots had Samuel in 2007.

The reason they haven't won more Super Bowls is that they've gotten very unlucky recently. You could easily make the case that they got very lucky in the first 3 they won and now things have balanced out some.

It would have been very unusual for the Pats to go to 5 Super Bowls in a decade and win them all. Instead they are 3-2 which is a much more reasonable result.

Similarly, having the Steelers go 2-1 over their last 3 Super Bowls. Having the Giants go 2-1. Having the Colts go 1-1. Things balance out.

#305 Br4d, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Excellent post. It won't make a difference with Brad, however. He is hopeless on the subject of Revis and CB's.

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

It is true what he's saying. We are paying right now top money for a QB and corner. So I don't understand where the talk comes from saying that we can't afford both. Matter fact, were paying top dollar for QB, CB, ILB (Harris), and near elite receiver $. If they actually played like their being paid we wouldn't be going through all this. But since no one plays like what their contract says they should be playing like, everyone wants to get rid of the ONLY one who is because they think that getting rid of him will get us a franchise QB.

Get rid of Sanchez, Holmes, and Harris' insane contract and the cap on this team is great..

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Using the current state of the Jets roster & cap as a reason FOR paying a corner is not a good argument. Unless you think we actually have a deep and talented roster.

There have been some good arguments for paying him, but this is not one.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm torn about what we should do here but having the #2 pass D in NFL without Revis and the contract he will demand makes me lean towards keeping Cro and dishing Revis for a fuckton of assets.

9. AlToon

AlToon Member

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

thats the problem, he can't be had for a reasonable price

12. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

This is crazy. We'd have to send picks back with Revis to get Von Miller.

13. NFL

NFL Active Member

After this year cutting all those huge contracts will give the Jets plenty of space to sign Revis long term.

14. Br4d

What makes you think Revis will sign with the Jets long-term?

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Because we'll pay him more?

16. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Despite the talk of a Revis "Gold Rush" forming, does anyone else get the feeling that no team will give Revis the extention he wants(if its really 100mil), so we will be stuck with him for one year and watching him walk, or we will have to trade him for peanuts?

17. Br4d

Than who? The field? With the cap issues we'll have next season?

There's going to be a Snyder out there pushing the price through the roof. If he thought Haynesworth was worth $100 million what's he going to do with a genuine superstar on the market?

18. Br4d

It's a question of what the Jets are willing to accept as compensation for Revis. The thing they can lock down for sure is the sandwich pick after the 3rd round in 2015. The question is what is it worth to them to give another team the Revis Rental year in 2013?

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I dunno about that. I know Von miller has 3 years left on his contract, but Revis is better. I can't see sending away one of best defensive players in the NFL + picks for a guy that averages .5 sacks a game. That doesn't even make sense.