Cromartie To Be Traded Instead??Cimni

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Jan 27, 2013.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Trade both our corners and two of the best corners in a passing league??? This is the dumbest thing ive ever heard so far about this. Yea lets trade both our corners this way we will also have a new need at CB. Kyle Wilson would be the starter and Trufant would be number 2 . No we need atleast one of them, We would be doing the Pats a favor by having Kyle Wilson as our number 1

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Maybe the thinking is to have the Jets not have any corners. Have a four man DL, four LB's, and three safeties.

I don't get this love for shitty corners.

3. jago

jago Active Member

revis is of a darrell green/charles woodson HOF level.
    sell to revis that we can rebuild around him but that he needs to commit.
    if injury fear, then a 3rd party insur policy can be written against first 2 years.
    this might add 10-20% to the cost of the contract (wildass guess).
    izzy should sit down and work a 5 year deal, a no-holdout clause, top 10 minimum,
    add incentives. if he wont take that with an injury now, then he doesnt want to be a jet,
    and we should let him rehab and showcase him for a trade.

if revis signs, we trade cro.

would you trade cro straight up for matt flynn?

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Remind me who will be starting at CB for the Ravens Sunday? I mean they only had to go through Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to get to the superbowl. Or maybe someone remembers who they had at CB in 2000 when they won the superbowl on defense?

5. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

2000 was Duane Starks and Chris McCallister, two of the better in the league at the time and both top 10 picks in back to back years by Baltimore.

This year's squad lost Ladarious Webb who's one of the better CB's in the league and has been using Cary Williams, a late round guy who's played very well, Jimmy Smith, a 1st round pick and Corey Graham, a mid round pick. I'm willing to bet they rank pretty highly on most grading systems.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i believe it was mccalister(sp) in 2000 and a ferocious pass rush.
    but i get your point

7. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Much better idea then trading Revis.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I did forget about mccallister in '00 but webb has been out all year and had nothing to do with the playoff run and won't be playing in the superbowl unless I'm mistaken.

Being a first round pick doesn't mean much, just ask kyle wilson.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Webb hasn't played most of the year. He went down in Week 3 or 4 I believe and hasn't seen the field since. The rank high partly because they are good partly because the force the QB to throw quickly and in situations not great for a QB. Corners can get better by getting a great pass rush.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Ravens pass D dropped from 4th rank to 17th rank this year.
    That was largely due to injuries, especially Webb. It was one of the primary reasons none of the 'experts' were giving them much shot in the post season.
    To their credit, they have been finding ways to win despite letting up a ton of yds even in the post season.

The Ravens absolutely value CB's who can play bump and run, as well as front 7 guys who can get after the QB. It's a passing league afterall, and those positions/skill sets have become prime in the NFL. Just look at how many CB's and DE/OLB's go round 1 every year, and why those 2 positions are the highest paid on D..

11. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I would just look at the Patriots. Their weakest part of that squad is defensive backs and it's been probably one of the main reasons they haven't won it all the last couple years.

My point is we're sitting here saying "how many teams have won the Super Bowl with a top CB?" Well would it be fair coming out of the 90's to look at how many teams won with a stud RB? For awhile that was how you win games. It's changed since then that it's less important. And I think the way the game is still changing, Revis is more important.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

When you have Suggs and Paul Kruger both rushing the QB, those CBs won't need much time to cover. Those 2 pass-rushers are really good.

Both teams in the SB don't have top tier CBs, but they got 2 good pass-rushers that can change the game

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

And yet they managed to beat Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to get to the superbowl ... 2 of them on the road. They didn't need elite corners to do it.

14. BacktoQueens

Yeah to their credit, they've found ways to get it done despite getting torched for yardage.
    They've stiffened up in the red zone, forced critical turnovers at the right time, and have really been playing physical complete team games.
    hats off to them. there is more than 1 way to win in this league.

I'm sure if you asked their coaches, life would be much easier if they had Webb back, or another solid CB tho.. When you can get after the QB, AND play man coverage, you have one stifling turnover driving D in the making.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't think there is any question having better CB's makes defenses better. The same could be said for any position. The question is, at what point does the return on value for your investment in CB's become less than it's worth.

16. BacktoQueens

Depends on the player.
    To me Revis is best CB hands down in league. I'd have no problem paying him top CB pay on the current market. However, i don't believe in paying any player above market value. So if he wanted 15-16 mil, gotta ship him out. For 12-13 mil, i'd be willing to sign and would explore trading Cro.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

So, because the Ravens D is strong elsewhere than at CB, the Jets should get rid of their excellent CB's, and that will put the Jets in the SB. Even though, of course, trading Revis will not bring the Jets players like Ed Reed, Ngata, Suggs, Ray Lewis, Pollard and Ellerbee.

Got it.

18. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

if the ravens had the room to add revis to their team, they would in a heartbeat.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

They do have the cap room, hopefully they offer us a nice trade for him. With Ray Lewis leaving they could use another strong defensive leader like Revis. They also have a much more well rounded roster and aren't in complete rebuild mode.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Of course no one ever made that argument, but help yourself to the strawman.

The point, is that you do not need elite corners to make it to the superbowl "in today's passing game".

Do you agree with spending 20% of the cap on cornerbacks?