Cromartie To Be Traded Instead??Cimni

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Harrier Manc-Jet

I like the idea of trading Cro over Revis if it is at all something we are considering, trading Cro alleviates more cap space now and Revis is absolutely infallible where Cro will give up the odd big play.

I have no issue us paying top doller to one shut down corner, but when you pay both its inevitable come contract time you end up in the jets current situation.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah I think one should be going just because you can't have so much tied as you said.

And while Revis never messes up, there is still the fact we are going to have constantly pay him top dollar and I think the difference between elite and great corner isn't worth the extra 6 million a year and headaches. I also think our young DL can make up the fact and all we need are good corners not elite ones anymore

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Although I do wonder, would Cro get more value right now? He will demand less money in FA, he's not coming off a season ending injury, and everyone saw him light it up this past year?

4. Harrier Manc-Jet

Yeah good point about the d-line, if we had addressed the pass rush problem and could get after the QB we would not need to be throwing 20% of the cap at two stud corners.

Makes this years 1st round draft selection all the more important as it could determine whether there will be a long term need to put so much coin into the CB position.

5. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I think we trade what ever one we can get the best deal for and would support it 100% because we have depth at CB eventhough all the hate for Wilson he isnt bad and Lankster could easily take over for Wilson at the #3 spot

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i still think revis needs to be traded, not cro. there is no reason to believe we won't be dealing with a revis contract issue in the next 3 years

7. Harrier Manc-Jet

Whats to stop Cro holding out 3 years down the line when Revis has gone and he is the #1 corner.

8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Great article!!! 1.5 pages of raw speculations loosely tied to "small fraction" within Jets. Cimini at his best.

I'd expect this sort of "journalism" to escalate the longer Jets FO works quietly behind closed doors.

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Nothing, if course.
    The difference is that Cro holding out is a possibility while Revis holding out is certainty.

10. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

We should trade Revis. Why? Cro has never faked a hammy.

11. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

I think we could be able to capitalize on having Rex here and his defensive schemes.
    By that, I mean that we should be able to have a "decent" defense which then Rex tweaks up to "good" or "great" collectively by using his defensive mastermind.

The whole idea is that we might be able to undermine the defensive quality of players on purpose, and spend the big bucks on offense.
    I'd love to see the outcome of having a Rex D (although with only decent/cheap players, Patriots style) combined with a dominant offense.

Hopefully Idzik can somewhat see it like this, just a shame Rex only really shows true excitement and passion when he gets to talk defense, defensive players etc.

The current setup, with a great defense combined with an abysmal offense, will never get us anywhere.
    If our defence fucks up three times a game, and the opponent scores 21 points on us - we all now we've already lost.

Having so much money tied into two elite CBs, makes no sense anymore.
    It is a luxury that's fun to watch, but it will never rank higher than having that amount of quality in the pass rush instead - something everyone on the field benefits from.

That said, I'd love to see one of them stay. I very much prefer Revis's play over Cro's, but Revis is suffering from mega-lo-mania and he's simply craving too much money.

#31 Swedish Ale, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  12. Harrier Manc-Jet

I don't really understand the post apart from the ''big bucks on offence'' part. That's the problem with being in cap hell paying two corners #1 dollar, there is no available cap space to upgrade the team period.

Draft all the way for me, the bill for 09-10 is due.

13. Viffer98

Viffer98 Member

Revis is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. That means he is gone after this year. He wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league, and there is no way Woody is going to pay him $20+ million per year. Unless Revis agrees to a new contract before the draft he will be traded for draft picks.

The Jets are not going to risk losing him as a FA and getting nothing back.

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

it would suck losing either of these guys, but I think we all knew going into the 2013 season one of them wouldn't be here. I'm all for trading Cromartie over Revis.

Cro is coming off a pro bowl season and is worth a 2nd and a 4th round pick, imo.

15. Harrier Manc-Jet

Already been over my reasons for wanting to trade Cro over Revis a few posts back, i also discussed the cap situation and the whole argument about having a large proportion of our cap space invested in the CB position as a whole.

The response you have quoted was me just saying whats to stop Cro holding out as someone posted whats to stop Revis holding out further down the line.

If you read my previous posts I'm in agreement with most of what your saying

16. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Trade Cro then being us not get Revis resigned. Cool

17. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Deal Revis, enough of catering to him. All he ever wants to do is give them contract problems. It's all about the contract. 16 million per season with all that guaranteed money is ridiculous for a cornerback on a team with a million needs.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

and to thin we almost signed Namdi Asomugha, what a nightmare that would of ended up being

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

exactly. revis has yet to honor a contract past the 3rd year. there is no reason to believe he will not hold out when he is 30 looking for the last cash grab before he retires

20. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

You trade Cro before 3/15 and get a couple of high picks for him this year. Try to extend Mevi$ which will not happen. Asses covered PR-wise for Woody and the new GM. Let Mevi$ rehab, get back on the field, play the first 3-4 games, then dump him TOO for 2-3 great picks in NEXT year's draft. Jets back in play after next season...