You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. The GM

The GM New Member

Keshawn wasn't coming off a season-ending knee injury, and wasn't going to be lost for nothing the next season.

2. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Hey man, thanks for the feedback, it helps immensely.

Same here, thank you. You also make a very valid point, this draft class isn't that inspiring, an extra first rounder is probably worth a second in next year's draft. The trade Idzik should push for (if he did it) would be a conditional 2nd or 3rd that could turn into a first rounder NEXT YEAR plus maybe a late rounder this year (5th or 6th). That seems fair for all parties involved. The Jets could then use that extra pick to either A) help their depth or B) use it to trade up (if it turns into a first) to get a guy like Johnny Football or Bridgewater

3. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I think he shouldn't waste his time explaining it to people who don't care. They need Revis to stay because without him, it will be hard for Rex to keep his job after next season.

4. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

Mevi$ wants 100 mil he is as good as gone!

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

And this statement is exactly why someone should elaborate on it.

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

br4d is it possible he is posturing with the 5 years 16 mill 60 guaranteed in order to get 5 years 12 mill with 40 guaranteed? and then is that a workable contract?

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Basically the cap is a finite resource that should be allocated based on the impact that players have on the game.

The number of touches a player has is an important factor because each time the player touches the football he has a chance to make an impact on the game.

What the player does with the ball when he touches it and how the ball got to him is also an important factor in the impact on the game.

The number of plays in which the player is in proximity to the football is important because the more often a player gets close to the ball the more often he will make an impact on the game.

At some point I'll try to write up a real piece on the hierarchy of value based on the three propositions above however it is not something I can do off the top of my head and I don't want to short-change it by writing without thinking it through.

The short version though is that the QB touches the ball between 60 and 70 times a game and has a major impact on at least half of those touches. A CB might touch the ball twice a game and has a major impact on another six or eight plays.

The logic is pretty inescapable that somebody who is going to direct the ball to any of five players on half the plays he is on the field is much more valuable than somebody who is going to cover one of those players and possibly directly effect a quarter or less of the touches the QB has, less if the QB is really good and does not need the guy the CB is covering to succeed.

8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Eh, maybe I get in trouble for this, but after too many drinks, someone just needs to be blunt after 1000 posts...

If you don't think trading Revis is a good idea, then you're really just a f***ing moron at this point. Seriously, there is no quicker way to improve our team. If you think we're going to blow our draft picks anyway, then it doesn't matter. But paying elite players elite money at a position that no one gives a shit about anymore isn't how you win a Super Bowl. Surprising, I know. I swear, I love being a Jets fan, but some of you just never make any sense.

9. Br4d

I think the Jets would have gift-wrapped a 5 year 12 mill a year package with 40 guaranteed and sent it his way every day for the last year if they thought he would take it.

10. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Nothing. I would not pay ANY CB $15 million a year. Never. It's completely stupid with the salary cap.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

He wants more than 14 mil.
    You can equivocate over when he did or did not hold out great.

Do you pay him or don't you?

Simple question. One word answer.

12. Hobbes3259

You go Boy!!!!!

13. Hobbes3259

guy did that on one of these threads...theorizing that Mevi$ was on Megatron, 16 weeks a year.

This has been my point for 3 years.

But I'm the scumbag, not the cap killer.

14. Br4d

Darrelle Revis covering Calvin Johnson - who is the most important person in the stadium that day? The Lion's QB.

15. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Two firsts. 2013 and 2014.

The 2014 can be conditional on being signed long term. Otherwise, a third. His services for only 6 mil is worth a first alone.

16. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

This is a great point that more people have to realize. Even a 1 year "rental" may be worth it for a contending team since it will only cost 6 mil for the best cb in the game. Ideally, any team that wants to make the trade will make an unwritten deal with Revis beforehand to extend his contract (getting us more picks in the process), but that doesn't have to occur.

IMO, I would like to sign Revis to a long term contract at around 11 or 12 mil per year; if he goes for that, I would be ecstatic and would be happy trading Cro who has very high value as well.

17. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Hence the 10 on 10 debate

18. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Wow. Only 3 first, 3 second, and 3 additional picks huh? You're feeling awfully generous.

19. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

No. It is impossible to give Revis one more year & then evaluate what to do. After one more year, Jets have zero control over Revis. He can go wherever he wants and Jets can't do anything about it.

20. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure you would do those. But then you sobered up and realized that no one was listening to your offers.