You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets could restructure everybody's contract and it wouldn't change the fact that Darrelle Revis wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

You know who the highest paid defensive player in the NFL is right now?

Mario Williams.

What did that do for the Bills?

The only position worth spending franchise QB money on is QB.

2. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Why not pay him the money he wants? It not like we will paying a QB big time money any soon. PAY THE MAN

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

You clearly dont understand what im even talking about, Revis has said he wants to be a Jet for life multiple times, So lets see if its true , Sign him to a new 2 year contract and see how he looks after another full season, and if by then we still dont want to pay him or cant then trade him, Im telling you right now we are only getting 1 lousy first round pick for him and maybe a 3rd, that simpy isn't worth it for the best CB that ever lived in a passing league.NFL execs have already leaked info saying there's no way we get more then that and i belive it. People are taking this to lightly, Yea just give the guy away during the worst draft class in 10 years. Its easy to scream Trade Him!!!!! Andrew Luck and RG3 aren't in the draft this year. Everyone says we have other holes to fill but this will not fill those holes, We aren't getting 3 first round picks or even 2

#1103 LongIslandBlitz, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  4. wildaces

wildaces Banned

We could trade him in week 8, but I don't think that we would get any additional value for him.

I am not an advocate of this by any means, but we could go through half the season see where we lie. We could trade Revis week 8 and possibly get a player to help moving forward if we are in a playoff run, or picks in the 2014, 2015 draft. It would also give us 8 more weeks to negotiate with him.

I would like to clarify, I am not an advocate of this, and prefer to move on before we payout any performance, reporting bonuses.

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

The more age you put on him the less he will be worth. Secondly, what if he comes out poorly? We have money wrapped up in a player that will hinder our team.

The time is now, especially with how Peterson played last year. Peterson is the exception, but not the rule, however, you will get some teams saying, look how Peterson played this year.

Furthermore, even the best cornerback in the league bringing a 1st, and if stupidly, a 3rd, and drop $10 million in cap space, is great value for the Jets. This is speaking from a business aspect, and without emotion. You have to take the emotion out of it to see the real reason for this talk.

6. Br4d

If we sign him to the contract he wants we won't be able to afford a franchise QB over the next few years. That's why the Jets won't do that. They can't afford to have a CB taking up a franchise QB's slot on the cap.

7. LongIslandBlitz

This could actually work, Trade him to a 1-7 team during week 8 and if Revis looks like his old self we could still end up with a first and second rounder or better, its not gonna happen but it could possibly work

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Absolutely 100% correct. If the deal fits for the jets I will not shed any tears

9. LongIslandBlitz

I just cant wrap my head around trading the best player on our team for a bunch of nobodys, Id be upset but id live with it it we traded for a first round pickand took a Luck or the next Peyton Manning, But for ifs or maybes it isnt worth it

10. Br4d

It's not a question of giving him a new 2 year contract. He's looking for a 5+ year contract. Even if it was a question of giving him a 2 year contract, so then we do what? Give him a 2 year 32 million deal that counts 16 million against the cap each year?

That's not doable given the cap situation we have and even if it was I absolutely guarantee you Revis isn't taking that deal after the knee injury he had last year. If he tears up his knee again he's done getting top end contracts.

11. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

That my point. What fanchise QB will we sign in a few years? IF we get a fanchise QB it will be threw the draft and he won't get big money until at least 4 years from now. That assuming we get him in this year draft.

12. LongIslandBlitz

Mario Willams in't the same type of player as Revis, People act like this is there money there spending. Tell me who are we gonna get for Revis in the draft, Name 3 great future pro bowlers in the draft not named Manti Teo

13. Br4d

To make it easier just understand that the Jets have no control here at all. Revis isn't staying in NY for less than a record-setting contract and the Jets can't give him that and also rebuild into a contender.

In order to rebuild the Jets need to get something for Revis and they need for the cap to not be constrained by him.

14. LongIslandBlitz

Whos this franchise QB you speak of??? Because there are no sure things in the draft this year, and this is my main point and the only one, Id live with the trade if we got fair value in return, If we got a real franchise QB not another Sanchez then that would be great, But look around at the first round of this years draft A QB might not even get taken in the first according to Mel Kiper

15. LongIslandBlitz

Then why not trade Cromartie and Holmes , Holmes is the most overpaid player in Jets history. Why not trade them instead to fill the void???

16. Br4d

Having a CB taking up franchise QB money is just unwieldy on the cap and it will be unwieldy for as long as that is the case.

Think of the CB's as the dog's tail. When they're the highest paid players it's the tail wagging the dog.

17. Br4d

They may trade Cromartie anyway. He's the quickest avenue to the cap relief the Jets need this season and his contract only runs another high-priced year so there's no way to restructure him for much cap relief.

Holmes is almost impossible to trade. When the Steelers don't want you maybe the Jets will bail you out but when the Steelers and the Jets don't want you the odds are you're suddenly very hard to find a buyer for.

18. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Here something I don't get? How come we stay in cap hell but teams like Redskins,Bills each had non QB that made sign 100mil contracts but they never was in cap hell like we stay in.

19. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I think you should elaborate on this. I don't believe people understand the budgeting process, and you will be able to explain it better than me.

20. Br4d

Because the Redskins cheated in 2010, for which they were penalized on the cap. They took advantage of the uncapped season to work their way out of some of the more outrageous deals they signed from 2007 to 2009.

I don't think the Bills actually got out of cap hell as much as they never were in it in the first place. Ralph Wilson wasn't a big spender over the last decade in free agency and if you look at the Bills 1st round picks they took a lot of cheaper positions with that pick over the last decade, 3 RB's, a S, several WR's, etc. Then you factor in that their draft picks mostly sucked on the first contract, leading to them not signing a big second contract and the cap hell just was never there.

This last year the Bills stepped in big time and wound up slipping all over the place with big contracts to Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mario Williams. They're going to have to pay Marcel Dareus on his second contract. They maybe have some cap issues over the horizon.

The Jets on the other hand have been big spenders in free agency. They've signed their 2006 and 2007 draft class to big second contracts. They've traded for vets and then given them big contracts. They've avoided paying the year to year price for doing all of that by constantly reworking deals to push the cap hit down the road. This is the year we're at the end of the road.