Possible Revis spots

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Jan 24, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

I hope you’re kidding with a lot of these deals... Because Eric Decker and a 1st would be a good deal for us. From Seattle, Robert Turbin + 1st + 3rd would be good for us as well. Add in a conditional pick in 2014 and I think those are both very good for us and they both get the best defender in the game to put them over the top.

As expected I guess, teams that are serious contenders (aside from the Bills) are looking for Revis to put them over the top. The bad thing there is that their picks are all low and are likely to be low next year as well.

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm so serious, if we're giving up our best player I want real compensation not picks who may not pan out.

Honestly give me Richard Sherman, Bruce Irvin and 2 2nd Round Picks for Darrelle Revis and a filler from Seattle and we have a deal

Sherman is no Revis but he's good, Irvin helps our pass rush. Seattle loses Irvin but can replace him in the 1st Round while still having their future 1st as well but we get a nice haul for the GOAT

3. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Seattle isn't giving up either Sherman or Irvin for Revis, straight up.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well then be prepared to be upset. I mean we are either shelling out one of the biggest contracts ever while trying to rebuild a team or you arent going to get nearly as much as you want.

See the thing that you are missing, is that the difference between a very good player like Sherman or Cromatie and Revis isn’t THAT much of a difference in reality. Revis is obviously better, but Sherman and Cromartie do very well at their job of locking down a receiver. Maybe theyll give up an extra TD or two a year and 10-15 catches, but is that really worth all that you have Seattle giving up? Hell no.

5. Martin is the man

the only acceptable/reasonable trade is Revis and Jets 1st (#9) to Detroit for their 1st (#5) and 2nd (#36).

Why Detroit does it: They must upgrade their secondary because of their devision NFC North and the exceptional talent at WR (Marshall, Harvin, anyone Rodgers is throwing the ball to) a shut down corner is essential IMO. Detroit is slightly above the cap as of now but they can easily drop under by cutting underpreformers in Burleson and Vanden Bosch and restructuring Stafford who is due 20M. With the 9th pick they can take a pass rusher to replace Vanden Bosch and Avril.

Why the Jets do it: Tanny destroyed the Jets cap situation and keeping Revis would be difficult so trading him out of conference is the second best move (behind signing him after u cut Holmes and Sanchez). With Detroit's 1st the Jets can take Jarvis Jones who IMO is the best player in the draft but might drop a few spots because of injury concerns. In the second the Jets can take a WR (DeAndre Hopkins), RB (Bernard or Taylor), TE (Zach Ertz or Tyler Eifert), OT (Fluker), OG (Dallas Thomas, Barett Jones), another OLB (Okafor), or a CB replacement ( Xavier Rhodes or David Amerson). The Jets can draft a QB next year after the offensive talent is upgraded this year giving the new QB a better chance to succeed. Additionally next years QB class is pretty strong with guys like Manzel, Bridgewater, Murry, Mccaron, and Boyd just to name a few.

6. NYJets4EverOnTop

I think the people coming up witih all these trade scenarios are going to be VERY disappointed when they realize we're not going to get that good of value for Revis. We don't have a lot of leverage considering he's in the last year of his deal and teams know we don't want to pay him. Add to that half the teams will want to take a wait and see approach with him based on his health. We are not going to get anywhere near the kind of value we could have gotten for him say after his 2009 season. Be prepared to be extremely disappointed that's all I have to say.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So as per the news in the other Revis thread their is now a "revis gold rush" line forming with teams lining up interest. I think it's safe to say we'll get at least a 1st round pick for him.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The irony of your example is that msot of the people here who downgrade Revis's worth to the team do so by saying he's not playing as important a position as Qb is.

But you make a decent point nonetheless.

9. Big Blocker

Turns out the Jets got the better of the Cromartie deal, imo.

10. Big Blocker

We all have to concede that one wild card here (in addition to his health) is whether Revis first signs a contract with the Jets before a trade, and if so at what price.

But, if a price that is reasonable can be agreed to, then the risk to a team trading for him goes way down, and they can assess the value of the deal with a hard number before them.

What then is a reasonable price? What the market would be willing to pay for him. His current contract status is not equivalent to being an FA, either, but certainly what he might get as an FA is a good ceiling for his value. I can't imagine him getting more than $15 mil. IF he establishes he is in good health.

Given that he does have one year left at roughly $6mil, I would say a four year deal at $12 mil would be seen by the market as a fair price for Revis. And if the market sees that as a fair price, why shouldn't the Jets be as willing to pay it as anyone else?

But let's say the Jets do not sign Revis before they trade him. I can't see another team offering much for him, maybe a 2 but demanding a 5 or 6 back, meaning somewhere more than a 3 but less than a 2.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Exactly, Supposedly there’s over 5 teams already interested and its only been a few days. Im sure more teams will start to pop up as well. I would definitely say a 1st + 3rd + player is reasonable and realistic.

Well factoring in the big contract we had to dish out in order to retain Cro, I would say its fairly even. His play definitely exceeded our expectations though.

12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

so the Jets are giving Revis up for a 2nd rouder basically? Add in the 3 Million cap hit we would take this year? Your nutz my friend...

13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Whoever trades for Revis, make them take Holmes and we agree to pay some of his salary. I am totally in favor of piling up on picks and not giving a CB QB $. I love the guy, but we need a lot of bodies and stock piling picks is the way to go. We just have to make take those picks and find some good players or else we could be suck for many years.

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Very, very smart of Woody to leak this right now. We know who's interested and what they are prepared to offer.

15. NFL

NFL Active Member

Any way we can work something out with Buffalo for Spiller and a pick? Can't imagine having Spiller here.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I would absolutely love this trade. I think it could work out well for both teams too. Pettine would love to have Revis to build his defense around and they already have Fred Jackson, who they love. Morningwood would love to build his offense around Spiller and we already have Cromartie.

17. coltsfan_nyc

coltsfan_nyc Banned

Come to indy Reves!

18. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

1st and a 3rd and a 2nd rounder next year is fine.

19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

The misinformation on this board is incredible. Why do people think this? Spiller was clearly the starter.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

When jackson was injured.