Possible Revis spots

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Jan 24, 2013.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

If Revis is a team player, he's on the team. If he isn't, he's gone. It's that simple.

Keep Revis with his current contract, and we're still in a 'win now' mentality. The mentality that people hated Tannenbaum for.

Trade Revis, and we're building for a future of sustained success. Everyone is whining because he won't be retiring a Jet. If he really wanted to retire as one, he should try to lower his contract value.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think Mike Pettine would love to have him to help with the transition to his defense. I'm sure they would put a very high value on him.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

No examples yet of teams getting equal value for trading an established top player.

This thread is a fantasy.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

This year the cap situation is pretty dire and if we don't sign him before this coming season then next season is a bidding war and we will still probably be cash strapped and lose out there.
    I would like to see them resign him long term but the reality is the room is not there unless Revis comes down a bit from his $16 mil a year. If they can get something done around $12 mil a year on a 6-8 year contract then you do what you can to move other players around to make the room but otherwise get what you can for him rather than nothing at the end of next season.

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Cut Sanchez and they take over a $4 million cap hit with $17 mil in dead money. Holmes the cap savings is just over $1 mil and over $11 mil in dead money. So if you cut both the cap is in worse shape.

Now you cut Jason and Eric Smith, Pace and Scott then you save $30.7 mil in cap space and only $4.5 mil in dead money.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That Herschel Walker trade just like the Ricky Williams trade are extreme examples. Cincy recently got a 1 and 2 good for Palmer 1. If we have to trade him we can start with that as a baseline.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How often are established top players traded or even on the trade block?

here's one:
    First, let’s review the terms of the April 2008 deal.

The Vikings got:
    Defensive end Jared Allen
    Kansas City’s sixth-round pick in the 2008 draft.

The Chiefs got:
    Minnesota’s No. 1 draft pick.
    Two third-round picks from Minnesota.
    Minnesota’s sixth-round pick.

8. legler82

You act as though equal value is an objective concept.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Al Davis isn't alive anymore. The Jets would never be able to get that kind of return. Cincinnati FLEECED Oakland.

Along with that Cincinnati's owner didn't make it known that they were screwed and wanted to trade Palmer, unlike our idiot owner. He held strong so that they actually had cards to play increasing their value.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well Jared Allen has already been mentioned. Did you forget the Jets getting 2 first round picks for Keyshawn? Abraham too. Just last year the Dolphins got a 2nd for Vontae.

Is anyone gonna argue that Revis coming off his ACL injury is worth more than Vontae? There are always gonna be teams that think they are one elite defender away from competing for a championship and be willing to pay for it. I think the biggest hindrance in getting the top notch package will be getting him signed rather then him coming off the injury.

With that said some of the suggestions being thrown around are pure fantasy but I don't believe a package that starts with a 1st and 3rd is unrealistic at all. TB with a ton of cap room and extra picks and dire need for CB help comes to mind.

#50 Attackett, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  11. legler82

Didn't the trade happen after Davis died; I can't remember? Anyway, my point was that we are more likely to get returns similar to that trade than Hershel Walker. For the record, I have no desire to trade Revis; I was just responding to the Hershel Walker reference.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

So you think Revis is worth similar to Vontae the great Davis? Gimme a fucking break. I dont think there’s any shot the Jets accept less than a 1st.

Cromartie was also had for a 2nd too. He had a bunch of character concerns, had 1 year left on his contract and was coming off his worst season.

They can certainly get more than a 2nd.

13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Here's my take. Unfortunately, the Jets are DONE for the next year or two. You can sugar coat it all you want and sit in green glasses delusional land but the reality is we are NOT in a win now situation. Cap issues, a crap receiving corps, needs at RB and the list goes on. Revis' best years are right now. He would waste away on the Jets while we pay him his deserved top dollar.

If the right trade were to come along I would pull the trigger in a heart beat. Set aside your head as a fan and look at the business side. Now would be the time to do this. We have Cromartie locked in and that is going to have to be good enough right now.

14. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

The thread is not fantasy(technically all proposals are fantasy as none of us are really in charge but I think it is reasonable). The reality is that if you establish you can not resign him at a dollar value that is "reasonable", he can walk away and you can't stop him. I want to keep him but fantasy is not facing the real possibility of not meeting his demands so he walks. You get a 2015 third round comp pick. If you can't sign him he is gone period. Are we a Super bowl contender in 2013. Anyone thinking we are is closer to fantasy land.

The values proposed equal a point value of just after the first pick of the second round. Coming off injury with good medical reports, I think this is about what you can get to start. Not giving a current first should appeal to trading teams. I have conditional picks for 2014 which would be based on his performance.

15. BrowningNagle

He might want Revis but he'd have to hold a gun to the GM's head for them to ever, EVER consider trading Spiller straight up for Revis this offseason.

I know Buffalo is dumb. But they aren't that dumb.

16. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

The very reason the Jets want and need to trade him...They know this as they have seen this re-rnu time and time again. Guy is predictable

17. NFL

NFL Active Member

I never said cut them this year, cutting them next year is possible because their money is not guaranteed.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What if he's the one who forced Tebow on Woody?

Buffalo is so dumb they start Fred fuckinng Jackson over CJ Spiller. The only reason spiller got as many carries as he did is because Jackson was injured this year.

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Packers- Clay Matthews, Morgan Burnett and 1st Round picks in 2013/2014

Broncos- Von Miller, Eric Decker, 2 1st round picks 2013/2014

Seahawks- Richard Sherman, Bruce Irvin, 2 1st Round Picks 2013/2014

49ers- Aldon Smith and a 1st Round Pick

Patriots- every pick for the rest of the existence

Bills- hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha maybe Dareus and 3 1st Round Picks

all showing interest, those are the deals I would accept from them

http://football.realgm.com/src_wire...s_broncos_49ers_seahawks_interested_in_revis/

20. BrowningNagle

LOL I never thought about that.. Maybe he does use force!

But yes - Buffalo was dumb for what they did with Spiller/Jackson, but I suspect that's a major reason why Gailey is unemployed today and that the new staff probably views Spiller differently..