Possible Revis spots

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Jan 24, 2013.

1. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

As GM you are tasked with building a championship team and/or maximizing your assets. Revis is an amazing player. I would approach his team with a lifetime Jet contract of around 8 years 90 million. Obviously, the guaranteed amount will be an issue coming off injury and I expect his team to reject the deal. At that point, you must maximize your return on him as you can not let him leave after 2013 and get like a 2014 third round comp pick. How to do so?

In order to maximize return he must show he is healthy ....not so hard.
    Contract. If he is signed, then you could get a much better return.

A traditional sign and trade doesn't work in the NFL because all up front bonuses accelerate to the first team when he is traded. Currently, 9 to 12 million is still out from his current deal. But thinking outside the box, if the receiving team has a lot of cap room you could pay it in salary not bonus or tie the bonus to being on the roster etc. While the Jets cap issues are well documented, there are teams who have cap room without any player cuts being made. Cin 55 million, Clev 48, Indy 46, Mia 35, Tampa 31, Jacksonville 22 . All but Indy need corner help. I include Cin as Kirpatrick has been hurt and some think safety is better for him and Revis would make a great mentor.

Look further and Cincy, Miami, and Tampa have extra picks this year. I normally would never trade within division but Miami may be attractive to Revis and he will have some leverage in this as well. What team wouldn't want Revis if they could pay for him and not destroy their draft? I think you can get picks this year and conditional picks for next year depending on his health and performance. I excluded Clev as they don't have a second round pick and not giving up the first round number six.

The following are all reasonable starts to me with the 2014 conditional pick being in the 3rd to first range depending on performance. This would help get a QB in 2014 when the class looks much better.

All these packages are close in points and hopefully a bidding war could escalate the value. It also allows the receiving team to have nearly a full draft as they all have extra picks.

Cincinatti 2(21) + 3(22) + 5(32)

Tampa 2(11) + 4(15)

Miami 2(22) + 3(15) + 7(11) or 2(10) + 4(14) + 7(11)

Advantage for Revis. He gets a lot more than the scheduled 6 million this year maybe 20 mill year one. Cincy won 10 games and the Florida teams are great climate and no state income tax. Jets get much more than a third rounder. This took awhile so comments appreciated. Again first choice would be he accepts top corner but not QB type money but I don't think they will and you must maximize your assets. These teams are in a perfect storm scenario, cap room, need, and extra picks. Jacksonville would have the same advantages being in Florida but least cap room and no extra picks would require 2(1) so might be interested.

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I would like to see some conditional picks for next years draft to continue the rebuilding process, in addition to those picks you mentioned in your proposed offers.

And although I'd like to see at least a first round pick in this years draft for any trade involving Revis, your proposals don't seem too far off from what might actually be the case

3. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I agree on 2014. I included 2014 conditional pick or picks depending on performance. I would think a third escalating to a first or something like that. The 2013 total points are just below pick one in the second so close to a first in value.

#3 BamaDoc, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are so many options that give both teams some certainty while preserving the Jets ability to get real value out of the deal.

KC offers the Jets the 1 and a conditional 2014 pick for Revis and the 9 for example. The Jets get to gauge the market for the 1 pick and maybe make another trade involving it. If not they get Joeckel or their pick of the pass-rushers, people who will not be there on the 9. They get a 3rd round pick next year if Revis goes free agent and does not re-sign with KC. They get a 1st round pick next year if he remains with the Chiefs.

KC gets Revis plus the QB they probably want anyway on the 9. If Revis goes free agent next year they give the Jets their 3rd round pick but get a 3rd round comp pick in 2015 back. If Revis signs with them then they give up the extra 1st. It's a deal that lets them do a lot of things they want to do at fairly minimal risk. Obviously if there was a Luck at the top of the draft they don't even consider this but there's not.

For the Jets at the low end it is the 1 pick in this year's draft plus a 3rd next season for Revis and the 9. Revis would probably have left the Jets anyway so it is the 1 pick plus a 3rd next year for a season of Revis plus the 9. They get the 3rd round pick a year earlier and a bunch of slots higher.

At the high end the Jets get 2 1's for Revis and the 9 including their pick of the draft this season.

5. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

Fuck trading Revis. Give us your best player and a first round pick or no trade.

I know so many want to trade him because of the ACL injury, the position he plays, and his contract situation. However, I really think that he can come back to full health. AP got back to 100% in not even a year. Why couldn't Revis do it? He is just as good of an athlete as AP is.

I also think the "he doesn't play a premium position argument" is bullshit. He is the best defensive player in the NFL when healthy. What more can you want?

Getting a second round pick or second and third is simply not worth losing the best defensive player in the league.

The Jets can find a way to get a contract done with Revis. Re-work a few contracts, and make signing Revis your priority.

Our cap situation is not so dire that we won't be able to afford a 10-15 million dollar per year contract. Nacho's contract comes off the board after this year, which will free up a lot of money to pay Revis. Why shouldn't we pay Revis? He is the best defensive player in the NFL, and he deserves the money. It would be sending the right message by giving big contracts to people who deserve it(Revis) over bums like Holmes and Sanchez.

6. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I want a 1st for Revis I see TB gives us there 1st 3rd and conditional 2014 pick so probably 1 or 2 because revis is still a stud and the best cb ever

7. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

Nobody in this board is saying that we want to trade Mevi$ because of his ACL injury. We will be crazy to pay him 15 to 16 million a year he needs to be traded.

8. NFL

NFL Active Member

I think this would work.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why on earth would they do that AND pay him 15 million a year? If he wants to go to the chiefs he can just sign with them after the season and they can keep all their picks.

10. wildaces

wildaces Banned

The place that makes the most sense is Tampa Bay at #13.

From what I see with some quick research, Tampa is at about $92 Million, and leaves about $30 Million in cap space. They also have about $8 Million in carryover.

They would be able to over the most upfront money, and apply the largest hits in the next few years. There is no other team that makes more sense from a trade aspect, and there is no one available at 13 that would make Tampa better now.

San Diego could use and afford Revis as well, but they will most likely go Tackle to protect Rivers. They would be a good candidate for a 2nd rounder and a conditional in 2013.

Washington is likely as well.

Consensus, Trade with Tampa, and trade back with either the #9 or #13 pick or better yet, both.

11. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I am not sure I (as the GM) would trust the organization at this time to make the right decision in this weak draft. I think the best play is to work with Tampa Bay. IMO, they are the only team that may be willing to give up a high 1.

In addition, I would try and trade down with both picks. Warmack is really the only player I would be sold on at #9, and talent plateaus for the next 50 picks or so. of course, all in my opinion.

#11 wildaces, Jan 24, 2013
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Because the team that acquires Revis will also have an exclusive negotiating window with him for a year before he hits the free agent market. Let's say the Chiefs want to pay him $15 million a year. If they wait until after the season when he is a free agent they are bidding against a few other teams and may well win with that level of offer. They may also lose to a better situation and a similar offer.

Now, let's say they acquire him in a trade, then offer him the $15 million a year because their doctors sign off on his knee. Does Revis play all of next season without a contract moving forward or does he take the Chiefs offer, which certainly looks like it is near top of the market?

In the event the Chiefs can't sign Revis, what they lost by making the attempt is the difference between the 1 pick and the 9 pick and between their 2014 3rd rounder and the 2015 comp 3rd rounder for losing Revis. It's a real loss of value but it's not like they gave up a player to do it, they just gave up the difference between the 1 and 9 essentially. If they wanted Geno Smith all along, well at least they got him on a pick that is more appropriate to his value.

#12 Br4d, Jan 24, 2013
  13. NFL

NFL Active Member

How about Revis for Barron and a conditional pick in 2014? Maybe they throw in another 2nd.

14. wildaces

wildaces Banned

A trade forces the players hand, and he won't want to play out a year and risk not being Revis of old.

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

another possible spot is Detroit. a 2013 first and a 2013 third would be amazing, giving us 2 picks in the top 10. would Detroit do that though, is the question.

the safer bet would be TB, they'll probably be looking for a corner in the first if they didn't trade for Revis. we take the 13th overall pick, maybe a 2nd and a 4th as well.

#15 Ozymandias, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Fuck that...I'd get him in camp, and say, he just doesn't look right on background to the media, then trade him for a 2, next year.

Fuck him back, make him work his ass off all year long, and for a sweetener, trade him to an offensive team.

17. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

The Bucs aren't giving up Barron for Revis and if they give the first for him, it's going to be for Revis + a later pick. I think the OP had some really good, reasonable suggestions. I could see the Tampa Bay second rounder plus one of their two fourth rounders getting done.

18. lamont_jordan_rules

i'm sure the team that trades for him will make sure he signs a long term deal before giving up any picks worthwhile

depressing to hear that most of you are thinking in the (maybe a 2 & a 3 range) is about what we'll be offered on the deal

i definitely bring to his team a long term deal in the 10-12mil per year contract first

if as expected they shoot that down i would pull the trigger on a deal if offered a 1 & 3 range

great topic by the way to original poster

19. jcluttrell

jcluttrell New Member

Why can't we just have the guy retire as GOAT for the Jets. Isn't anyone into keeping him for that reason alone?

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No way I consider trading him to a team in our division.