You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this, especially the last point about it being the worst time to deal him, which is true. There couldn't be a more worse time to dangle Revis than now.

What kind of backward organization is this that the owner is reported as announcing these intentions anyway??? Trading Revis should be an internal discussion between the GM and staff. Not one made public with the owner's name attached to it!

2. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

With a guy who is guaranteed to make the money regardless if he’s hurt or not. Yea that’s motivation to go out and play hard every game.

3. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I disagree.

IMO, and I've said this before on this board, the cornerback tandem of Revis and Cromartie are what make the Jets defense.

The jets dont have quality passrushers, but because of the corners who can be left out on an island and lockdown the opposing offense's top 2 receivers, the Jets can play exotic fronts and blitz as many people as they please. You take that away from the defense and you're left with an awful front 7 and now a diminished secondary.

Do the Jets have a ton of holes to fill? Yes. But you also have the draft. You dont need to trade Revis to upgrade your team, you already have 7 picks (or however many you have). You can upgrade your team without trading him.

Either draft a better QB, or keep McElroy for a year and use the picks you would have used on a QB on a RB or lineman. You can find quality linemen after the 1st round anyway. I just think that the Jets are not "forced" into trading Revis as the ONLY way to upgrade the roster. If you trade away Revis for picks, you're going to have to use those picks to now bolster a defensive front 7 that will be more exposed because of his loss. You wont be gaining anything. Plus, you then have to convince your fans and the rest of your team that despite trading the best player on your team for future picks, that you are still committed to win now. Good luck with that.

#463 Bills over Jets, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Why? maybe this is just the thing they need. I can't see a better time to trade Revis then now.

Let's say Jets keep him and then he re-injures him self (which he will). Jets are still stuck paying him.

Trade him now while there is still value in him.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This is just plain stupid when you look at what woody has actually spent recently.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That it was made public suggests that the train is already leaving the station. If you're going to trade a popular player you need to prepare the fans in advance for the move. That way when it happens it doesn't leave the fans who like the player shocked and unhappy if just leaves them unhappy.

7. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Lets not get too carried away with the JETS passing defense this season. As someone mentioned, teams were more inclined to run on them. Also, they played a few horrible QBs down the stretch which also skew the numbers.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There isnt any trade value in him at the moment. Other teams would have the Jets by the balls because they know their situation, the uncertainty with Revis' injury, and the fact that their owner just made it public they want to trade him...

and

why do you say he will reinjure himself like it's a fact? He's never had knee problems or chronic knee problems before.

9. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

What happened the last TWO seasons? he gets hurt again there is NO Trade value in him.

I understand the jets are limited to what they can get for him. But a few teams that might just be missing one piece of the puzzle will take a gamble on a guy who when healthy might be the best player in football.

You don't think telling the world that the jets want to trade him won't spark interest with other teams? it's a lot smarter then you think.

10. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Mario Williams is one of the best pass rushing DE's in the league. Williams has only been on one playoff team in his six years in the league. Thus, he is 1 for 5. What does that tell you about great DE play and how it affects a team's chance to win?

Of course, I'm being overly simplistic to point out you are being overly simplistic. The fact is the only position where a superstar may change his teams playoff chances on his own is QB.

I know there is this Mike Lombardi "theory" floating around that you should only pay DE, LT, QB, etc but looking at the superbowl teams they're just not built that way. You do need good players at that position but you don't need to pay them, you can find them in the draft, especially with the changes to the rookie wage scale.

I'm fine with them trading Revis if they can get good value for him (ie, 1st another conditional first), or a good player. I can maybe live with a first and a third. Trading him away just to get "something" because he will be expensive in 2014 makes no sense if he can still play. The Jets will be able to get rid of Sanchez's money by then, as well as holmes if I recall correctly. There may be nobody else even worth paying on this team by then.

11. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Any definitive statement on this, either for or against trading Revis, is premature. We don't know how his knee will be nor his market. To say you wouldn't support the Jets without knowing that is kinda nuts.

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Your bold nails it. I think the extremes are what's causing the discussion. People on one side A think the other side B doesn't want to trade Revis no matter what (so they think this side B is okay with paying Revis 20 million and passing on multiple first round draft picks)

Then the other side B thinks that side A wants to trade away Revis to get rid of the headache (so they think this side A is okay with trading Revis for a bag of footballs becaause he will cost so much money)

In reality, I think we all agree we need to test the waters on Revis. If we can get a team to send us multiple 1st round picks, I don't see how you can pass that off. If some team tries to trade us a 5th, I see us passing that deal

13. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Who are you to say he's not a real fan? The guy is clearly infinitely passionate and would hate to see a potential legend wearing a uniform other than the Jets. While we are fans of the team at large, in the end it is the players we root for and admire, and I'd be willing to bet that at least half of the current Jets fan have never had a player they admired and enjoyed rooting for more than Darrelle Revis. That is where the pain would come from.

And this notion that once we trade him we will be winning superbowls..give me a break. The ridiculousness of this statement would suggest your the one that is not a true fan. The far more likely result is that we will be mired in mediocrity while Revis becomes a legend for a different franchise.

14. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I would MUCH rather see Revis walk next year than trying to trade him this year. Trading him now, when his value is at its absolute lowest (coming off ACL, one year left on contract) would just be retarded. Keep him this year and try to resign him next year. The top priority this year should be to try and retain Landry. If that can be done, our secondary will be enough to keep us in games next year.

15. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

I can tell you right now, they can careless what the fans think, it has nothing to do with letting the fans know in advance.

This will be plastered all over the news in an attempt to get other teams to spark interest in him.

16. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not a true fan. We are 6-10, yet I am still on here. I'm not threatening to quit because Revis or anyone else is leaving. I want us to get more players who can compete. More likeable players who are stable and can win. I want to be able to buy a jersey without worrying that the guy won't be here next year because we have money tied up in bad people and that he may go...

Well derrr, not right away we'll win Superbowls, but down the road I'm sure we will.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

1) I agree that we should give Idzik a shot. I just dont see how he fits the biggest defensive contract ever underneath our cap now and in the future. To add to that, I dont think its smart either.
    2) Why is it hard to believe that teams were smart enough to realize that the way to succeed vs our defense was running the ball? It was pretty clear after week 1. Our rush D couldnt set the edge and out pass D was very good. Exploit the weakness.
    3) Obviously we are better with him than without him in a vacuum. But when you factor in the extra cap room and draft picks, its a little different. If we could turn Revis into Laron Landry, Paul Kruger and a 1st and 3rd, I would definitely say we would be better off without him (assuming we dont miss on those picks).
    4) No other team is built that way. In essence, it makes sense... But its a whole lot easier when you have a great front 7 rather than a great secondary (not only do they disrupt the QB and the passing game, they also defend the run- which we obviously couldnt this year because our talent was in the secondary).
    5) Revis held out and then was hampered by a bum hamstring for a good portion of the season. Coincidence? I think not.

18. AlToon

AlToon Member

Revis, 27, is considered one of the best defensive players in the NFL. He suffered a serious knee injury last season, but is expected to return healthy.

Revis would likely be expensive in both compensation and in the terms of a contract. His contract is pricey and voids after two seasons. Any team that wants to acquire him would likely need to give him a new deal. Even with the obstacles, I think Revis will be highly sought-after. A case could be made for all four AFC West teams having interest in him.

Let’s take a look at how he’d fit with each team in the division:

Denver: The Broncos have more than $18 million in cap room, the most in the division -- and they could use Revis. Champ Bailey still has a couple of years left, but he will be 35 when next season starts and is coming off a rough game in the playoff loss to Baltimore. Denver has Chris Harris and Tony Carter, but adding a piece like Revis would be huge. He could be worth the Broncos' No. 28 pick in the draft.

Kansas City: The Chiefs don’t have a ton of pressing needs other than quarterback, so that's where they must look first. But adding Revis to Brandon Flowers and a strong defense would be pretty tempting. I could see the Chiefs giving up the No. 34 pick in the draft, for starters. Is their No. 1 overall pick worth dealing for Revis? Maybe in some type of package deal that gets the Chiefs a little more than Revis, sure.

Oakland: Cornerback is Oakland’s greatest need. Revis would fit great, but the Raiders are not in strong salary-cap shape and don’t have a lot to offer in a trade. Plus, they have a lot of other needs. Revis would be a terrific addition, but there are a lot of obstacles here.

San Diego: San Diego’s two starting cornerbacks, Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason, are free agents. This is a need area -- but only one of many such trouble spots. Unless they get creative in both trade compensation and in a new contract for Revis, this might be a tad difficult to maneuver.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/71483/afc-west-fits-for-darrelle-revis

19. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

A lot when those two years featured Mark Sanchez as the quarterback and still resulted in AFC championship game births.

20. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Legend? LMAO sorry never going to happen. He will be hurt again before next season is up.

This also coming from a guy with the SN AlmightyRevis .

And the fact you can write that BS when Curtis Martin played for the jets is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this board.