You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So that he can walk away when the season is over? That would be cause itself to fire Idzik on the spot. They have no choice but to re-sign him (which btw was always the plan for this off-season) or trade him before the season begins.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Denver has made the playoffs just 4 times in the 9 seasons that Bailey has been their best defensive player. They missed the playoffs 5 years running with him in the defensive backfield. They finally got back to the playoffs in 2011 at 8-8 and then signed Peyton Manning to make a real run at a ring.

Champ Bailey is the archetypal great CB who cannot lift his team onto the elite playing field because no CB can do that.

BTW, discounting this last year where Revis was injured the Jets have made the playoffs in just 2 of the 5 seasons he has played for them. This despite him being the best CB in the NFL over that span.

4 for 9. 2 for 5. What does that tell you about great CB play and how it affects a team's chance to win?

#402 Br4d, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

The only reason why this is now considered, "the right move" is bc our idiot GM spend money on the wrong people, HOLMES, SANCHEZ.

If we trade Revis, for the love of everything, please trade Holmes.

Revis is one of the few players on this team I still want to cheer for. #baller

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

So we should give him away?

5. Don

Yep..re-sign him now or trade him for whatever you can get..better to send him to oakland then let him walk on his own to the pats.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

A big part of the situation is, you don't sink over 10% of you cap in any one player, unless its a QB, if you want to be consistantly competitive. Revis may be the best Jet ever, but he is not worth 16 mill. To pay him that handcuffs the rest of your team building and will leave you filling important roles with mediocre players.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If you think that Pats aer going to pay that kind of money to a corenr, your not paying attention to the way they build thier team at all.

8. JetsVilma28

I put all blames on HOLMES. The guy is a bum that has cost us way more than he has ever delivered. There are so many things I despise about Holmes and now I blame him for stealing money that should have been given to Revis. Holmes, contract combined with his lack of effort on the field is one more atrocity to add to New York Jets history.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sanchez handles the ball 30 times a game.

Revis, keeps a guy from catching ball 8. And those numbers can be compensated for elsewhere.

CB is an overvalued position by everyone except the best coach in the NFL.

That having been said...this could be a negotiating tactic.

Revis, maybe we will ship you to Jacksonville. Go be the best corner in the NFL, and never win anything.

10. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Too many people are being too emotional about this. Why don't you understand that Revis is asking for too much money as of right now? You either tell him that we're not paying you this much, or you ship him out. We're trying to field a team not have an 'OMG, BEST CORNER EVARRRRRR'

11. JetsVilma28

^I don't have a problem with that and I understand Revis price is high. I am still more apt to pay a player like Revis, who balls out on every snap, than pay a bum like Holmes who quits, throws the football to the other team and talks shit about teammates to the media. If Revis is out, find a way to get rid of this bum Holmes now.

12. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

What good is it when the rest of your team is worth dick? He's the only player of real value the Jets can trade to get talent they need.

I get it too, hes amazing, but the Jets are god awful with or without Revis.

13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I love Revis and he is the best player on our roster and arguably the best defensive player in the league. But at some point we have to accept that his price may be too high for us to pay. In addition, we all know Revis won't be giving us a hometown discount because for him its all business and the figure on his paychecks. The worst thing about all of this is that we have people like Sanchez, Holmes, and even Harris who are all being paid too highly for their play. Without them signing Revis would never be a problem.Thanks Tanny. You left us with a parting gift.

14. AlToon

AlToon Member

All it takes is one team to meet the asking price. The Saints? Dallas? Jerry wants to win yesterday. Vikings? Rams has 2 #1's. #16 and #22. Colts.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Jets keep Darrelle Revis and remain competitive in the NFL by building around him in a smarter, more efficient manner. The league has changed into a more passing league - investing in guys that can stop that, is a smart way to go forward. Especially if that guy is AS good as Darrelle Revis is. Just like in past eras, when the league was about running the football - Linebackers were a great investment. The league has just shifted.

The reason why the Jets are struggling right now, and why some of you are questioning whether they can be competitive with a lot of money tied up to Darrelle Revis, is because they have screwed everything else up around him. It's funny how you argue they can't compete paying Darrelle Revis this much money, but no complaints are made about the large contracts given to Harris, Holmes, Ferguson, etc - guys that are paid like top players at their positions, but don't play like it.

The Jets have found a way to have a Darrelle Revis and still have players at these positions: QB, WR, OT, C, LB, CBx2 - paid at the top levels for their respective position. The problem obviously is NOT the darrelle revis contact, it's that they've mostly struck out at those other positions!

I hate when people say "tell me the last time a team with a top corner won a SuperBowl?"
    There are multiple answers to that question. First - there are examples.

But second. Just because SOME teams have one it won one way, doesn't mean that it's not possible to do it another way. Teams have won championships with their running game, teams have won without a running game, teams have won with a great defense, teams have won without a great defense.. etc. etc. etc.

There are multiple ways to get it done, and hell if the Jets had gotten better play out of some of their other higher-paid players - they would HAVE a title right now and they would be an answer to that question!

A better question to ask is "tell me the last team to win a SB without a slam dunk all pro, truly great player on their team??"
    There is not really an examples for this. And by trading Revis, the Jets get rid of their only truly great player. They are tough to come by and when you have one, you don't trade them away.

16. Don

Lucky to get a 5th or 6th for Holmes and then take a 11 mil cap hit on top of it..he isn't going anywhere until this year is over.

17. JetsVilma28

#@$%!**&

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Guys around are saying Revis doesn't change the game enough

This dude literally makes throwing to your 1st option taboo, come on man no one else does that. Teams even threw at Cro he covered well but in all they dont test Revis Island, rarely they do and when they do they get got

Cant trade this man, you just cant

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

How do you propose asking Revis to not get paid like QB but rather a CB?

20. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

I think he definetly changes the game. One of the beast corners ever in a league where corners are put in very difficult positions. The issue for me is this. If he wants to be paid as the highest corner in the game, the Jets have to do it. If he wants to be paid like a QB, I'm out!