You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This would be so freaking stupid.

I'm sick and tired of the Jets trading away great players and thinking that they need draft picks to win. This organization has had few truly great players in its history and they always shoot themselves in the foot by thinking they need to trade them. This organization's drafts are usually terrible too, what in the hell makes you think this team is going to get a good player out of the deal just if they get a draft pick?!?!

Good teams hang onto their great players. I know that should be a pretty obvious policy but for the Jets it's not. I know Revis is the type to grab as much money as possible, but they can make it work within the cap and still field a great FB team. For starters, I think Johnson is cheap. They could give Revis a contract that doesn't cripple their cap situation yet makes him happy with a very large bonus. Johnson doesn't want to release some of his trust-fund money though and would rather work with the Jets cap money.

On top of it being stupid to trade away a great player, it's also the WORST time to actually try this. In typical Jets fashion, they wait to trade a player when his stock is at it's LOWEST - tell everyone they want to trade him, putting themselves behind an 8 ball, what offers do they think they are going to get? I wouldn't be surprised if nobody offers more than a 2nd round pick right now!! If they were going to trade him - the time to do so was either before 2010 when his stock was at it's highest and he was holding out, before last season when they knew they were going to have to rebuild, or after THIS season when it shows he's back from injury. Not NOW! It's the worst time to dangle him in his whole career!

Same old Jets move - they trade Revis this offseason for a late 1st round pick to a contender, something like 28th overall - and that's it. They'll proceed to draft an average at best NFL player with that pick. And we'll go awhile again before we see a player of Revis' caliber in NY. (only to trade HIM when we finally do).

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Sure. He's been in the league 7 years now, and has been an elite CB in one of those years. I'd venture to say he'll fall back more in line with the his career production vs 1 elite season. I'm not saying it can't be done, all I'm saying is you should temper your expectations, for it would be unwise to think he'll continue to play at a level he did in '12 when he doesn't have the track record to back it up.

3. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Foolish and incompetent behavior. That is the best way to describe this franchise and this owner. I would be all for boycotting this owner. He just doesn't make any sense. Might as well trade away Mangold as well.

4. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

If I were the Jets I would call up our good friend John Elway and this will be the Trade:

Denver Gets:
    Darrelle Revis
    Tim Tebow

NY gets:
    Chris Harris
    Rahim Moore
    2013 2nd Round Pick
    2013 4th Round pick
    2014 Conditional First Round Pick if Revis signs extension and makes Pro Bowl
    it will be a second if he doesn't

5. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

Just so I know where to direct my fury...

I'm an irrational fan- I dont understand the contract situation or numbers...just so I understand- is the Revis contract situation ie not being able to afford him, a result of overpaying sanchez?

Also- why is this a "woody looking to explore trading revis"- isnt this a GM's

6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

It all depends on the deal. Honestly, trading him now is better than letting him go next year without an extension. I'd rather extend Revis and trade Cro, but this is the 2nd best option (assuming we get more than 1 good pick)...hopefully a good 1st in 2014 IMO.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think we need to relax, we have failed the last 2 years and all options should be on the table. There's nothing wrong w/ exploring the idea to see what we can get but I doubt we get blown away w/ an offer and I would expect he'll remain a Jet.

8. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

If Revis wants to be paid as the top cornerback, no problem. He deserves that. If he wants to be paid like a QB, you can't do it.

9. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

No one will trade for him without an extension in place

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Explain in a coherent fashion how the Jets keep Darrelle Revis long-term and remain competitive in the NFL. Leave out words like favorite player and best cornerback in the NFL since neither of those things is going to make the Jets competitive long-term.

11. Eat Man

Eat Man New Member

Just an awful, horrible, cringe-worthy idea. Truly a horrible decision.

Unless the Vikings are interested :beer:

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

While the Sanchez contract is an abomination, there would be people questioning the ultimate viability of paying a cornerback 10-15 million dollars a season, regardless of how much our QB made. Also, I agree with junc, we are unlikely to get blown away by an offer for Revis and I still think he remains a Jet.

#392 slimjasi, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The problem is precedent. Revis is going to want to be paid like the best defensive player in the sport. Going by recent contracts (Nnamdi, Mario Williams, etc) alone, this guarantees that he will be looking for upwards of 15M per season.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I wouldn't believe this report until Sundquist confirms it on tweeter.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Revis is the most talented defensive player. Not the most valuable.

He plays a position, where percentages alone, negate his value.

16. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Revis wants QB money as a CB. He deserves to get paid being the best defensive player in the NFL, but if you can afford to pay a CB QB money, then other areas of the team will suffer. 25% of the Jets cap is tied up in CBs. But if you don't have other pieces, being able to defend the pass is meaningless.

My opinion? If you want to play on a team that has a chance, you have to make what you deserve and not what you want.

If Revis is ok with being the top paid CB in the league, then I have no problem with it.

If he wants to be paid like a top 10 player, then say goodbye to Revis. This discussion is raging on in the "Jets explore Revis Trade or whatever"

17. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Having the best CB will make the Jets competitive, since they don't have strengths in other areas to mask losing him. We don't have a top pass rush, a top RB, a top o-line, or most importantly, a top QB.

Going off your previous posts, you can't just allocate the most money to the most important positions (QB, OLB, pass rusher). It doesn't work like that; contracts aren't handed out in a vacuum. Value added is value added. Revis is the best CB in the NFL. The Jets should try to re-sign him if its cap friendly.

Look at any other great team, and you can find random positions where that player is the highest paid, yet it isn't the most important position on the team, the 49ers are a great example of this.

I would only trade him if we get back top value, which I don't think we will judging by his injury.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You want logic? On this board?

This is the same bunch of people that insist Matt Moore, or Matt Flynn, or Tar aris Jackson, gives you a better chance to win, without discussuing Schotty,Sparano,Gates, or Gilyard....

19. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Denver has been paying champ bailey for a while and had stayed competitive. I think to say paying a cb somehow dooms your franchise is an overstatement. The biggest problems on the jets cap are sanchez, harris and holmes.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I am sure if they could pay Revis what Bailey makes they would try to keep him.