You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Good to see the Jets have finally pulled their heads out of their asses and actually trying to think long-term. Is this new GM already bringing some sense to the the front office personnel moves?

2. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Thank you Al Davis for the ridiculous Aso contract that started this whole, "I want one more dollar than Aso." crap. Face facts folks, Revis cares only about Revis, that's it. And I absolutely cannot blame him one bit. Do I wish he was a guy that could be happy making A LOT of money, but also willing to leave a few sheckles on the table to help fill in talent around him? Absolutely, but he's not that way.

People mention his last holdout, but he held out his for his rookie contract as well. Then has the balls to holdout again, on that contract. He can say he wants to stay a Jet his entire career, but the fact is he only wants to remain a Jet if they agree to pay him all that he wants. Not really a sincere comment.

And again, I don't fault him for having his approach to money. It's his right, doesn't mean I agree with it. It is what it is...

3. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Running backs and cornerbacks were just a little more important when the Portis/Bailey deal went down. We'd be most likely trading a high priced cornerback for high priced running back (or at least a RB that will demand a big raise in the near future). With running backs being a dime a dozen these days, I think finding a RB in the draft is the best way to go or trying to get Joe McKnight's head in the game (he has the talent to succeed at the NFL level). Fix up the offensive line a bit, get a QB, and get a pass rush. Those are the key needs this team has right now. With a great OL, any RB can look great, so I'd rather draft a guy or try to roll with what we have.

But Revis, without question, should be traded. Anyone who says otherwise is too sentimental and doesn't see just how much he hurts the team with his salary. And no, saying that Sanchez and Holmes hurt the team with their salary doesn't help your argument, it's just worse than Revis's situation so you're trying to deflect that attention on actual underachievers.

4. AlToon

AlToon Member

The Jets have major salary cap issues and are entering a rebuilding phase under Idzik. There was speculation in league circles this week at the Senior Bowl that Idzik may have to “blow up” the Jets roster to begin repairing the team.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/turn_the_corner_2iJ2U8pDaGbcSijfNWEYZK

LaConfora indicated the Jets will use 2013 as a transition year. Clean out the cap. Play young players. Trade Revis. Top pick in 2013 and another top pick in 2014 based on how many snaps Revis plays/re-signing with that team/the acquiring team performance. Maybe another selection if the acquiring team wins a Super Bowl. Accumulate as many picks as possible for 2013 and 2014. Don't re-sign Keller,Greene,DeVito and Moore. The Jets will get 4 comp picks for 2014. Cut Holmes after 2013. Cut Sanchez after June 1. Take the $4.8M cap hit for 2014. $12M plus for 2013. Cut Harris after 2013. Cromartie can be cut after 2013. If Idzik can trade Harris and Cromartie next off-season without it coming with a huge cap hit,explore it. If not then cut them. The Jets will be in a better position this time next January. The Jets will have another top 10 pick in 2014. Cap flexibility.

5. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I vote this as the best quote in the history of this forum.

6. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with trading the face of the franchise. We only get value if we actually draft people that will stay on the team. With a new GM, why not let him start with someone like Cro for trade bait?

7. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

I'd feel a lot better about this if I trusted this FO to used those picks wisely

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because Cro isn't coming off an ACL injury, his contract is smaller, he turned into a legit top CB in the league and he doesn't have a history of holding his team hostage.

9. XX2

XX2 New Member

If your CB is the face of your franchise, you are doing something wrong.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Nice to know we just hired a GM and Woody thinks we need to move Revis. I think we should move him also but I might leave that up to the GM and HC if I actually owned the team.

Bottom line we are going to field an expensive team that is going to be profitable to the owner. The owner needs to get out of the football operations.

11. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I don't give a fuck what anybody says. This is stupid. I'm so tired of Jets fans supporting moves to get rid of our best players and completely overlooking the guys who are killing us. As a matter of fact, I'll extend that to my fellow Knicks fans as well. We want to trade Revis. We want to trade Carmelo Anthony. Trade your best players but be fine with the Eric Smiths, Brian Thomas', Toney Douglas' and Jared Jeffries of the world stink it up year after year after year! All the problems we have on this team and we're targeting our best player BY FAR! Knicks got better because they got rid of the scrubs. Not Melo!

You have a problem with him complaining about money? PAY HIM!!! You aren't even going to get that much for him. We paid Sanchez and he hasn't proven shit. OK so we get a few picks. Our last 3 #1 draft picks haven't been worth Darrelle Revis. Granted we have a new front office but we have the same coach.

MY stance since we acquired Tebow has been the same. I born a Jets fan. I've always been a Jets fan but for the first time in my life, I'm not sure I'll die a Jets fan. I'm tired of seeing moves routinely being made that aren't football decisions. When you trade for publicity whores, when you trade your best player and refuse to address the bums that have littered your team annually, when you give a contract extension to a QB unnecessarily... That's when I have to reconsider my support for the team. I love you...but I'm not in love with you NY Jets lol

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Now we can close this thread.....seriously, priceless quote man.:up:

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't want to trade him but it makes sense to at least explore the possibility especially if we won't be a contender in 2013 and may lose him after the season. If the right deal comes along we'll see but I hope it doesn't come down to that.

14. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

We need to move Revis for the long term future of this team. There is no question we going to blow up this whole team and start from scratch. Do you guys think we are going to be going to the Superbowl in 13,14,15 I highly doubted. We might as well get what we can for him right now.

15. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Bingo! That's the only sensible plan for 2013 and 2014. :breakdance:

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's the 1st thing I thought........ but there's no way the JETS pull in that kind of haul, but if they could.......... :beer:

Unfortunately I see them getting a 1st rd pick that parlays into ANOTHER scrub, and the JETS not getting any real return for a player who is arguably the best ALL-TIME at his position.

:shit: :jets:

and another not really related thing...... is there a reason the JETS have to come out and PUBLICLY announce this NOW? Any questions about who really wants to grab headlines?

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

My best guess is the Jets will trade Revis after he has worked out a deal with one of the teams they give him permission to negotiate with. That leaves open the option of Revis looking around and deciding to bring a counter-offer to the Jets. At least the possibility is there.

18. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

I second that. :mad:

Again with this team not holding onto greatness. This is one of the reasons why we never win anything.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Who did the Jets let go because they didn't want to pay him?

The last guys that I can think of where that was the case were the Jetskins in 2003.

20. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

revis doesn't regard being something bigger than his self as important, even though he is making so much more money than he is worth. What I am saying here is, all pro athletes make too much money. I wonder when an athlete will want a 1/2 billion dollar contract? No player is worth 20% of a payroll, and it is probably what he will want