You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Funny. Should I remind you how the Cowboys dynasty of the 1990s began?

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of box scores in this case, there is no question how good Revis is. But, You have to look at the bigger picture. Revis is probably walking after 2013, teh Jets aren't going to be in a position to pay him what he wants, at least not probably. The cap space even with cuts in 2013 won't leave much room in 2014 either, unless you want to gut the rest of the team in the process.

It's not a matter of if Revis is a great player, it's a matter of economics and proper team management. A corner is not worth QB money, no matter how good the corner.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Exactly. Add in the fact that Cro is borderline elite and most definitely a #1 CB, its hard to invest even more of the cap at the position when the passrush and offense are so abysmal.

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Why should we pay him so much money? He's a great player and all, but we're trying to fix the Jets. He (and numerous others *coughSanchezandHolmescough*) should be team players and restructure their contracts so we can find more quality people.

He's an elite cornerback. However, none of the teams who made it to the championship games had elite cornerbacks. Maybe very good, but not elite. If we get a solid player and some good draft pick for Revis, I don't see what the harm is in trading him.

This sort of shit is EXACTLY the reason why Tannenbaum got fired. Tying too much money into too few people. And very, very few of those people are producing enough to make that money worth it.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Rex was able to disguise his blitzes and nobody had seen it coming. He cashed in his check year 1 with his exotic looks and blitzes and has gotten away from that as the years past. He cant rely on the exotic blitzes to get to the QB because the NFL has seen it before now and since we lack talent getting to the QB, that part of our defense has really been exposed.

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Carlos Rodgers is a damn good corner. Webb is too but he's injured obviously. In a passing league you need good play from the secondary especially in a Rex Ryan D where he relies on man coverage so much. Besides Revis isn't just an elite corner hes the best corner in football by a pretty wide margin.

7. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

It worked just as well in 10 too. The difference being Revis holding out and getting hurt early and not really getting into stride until halfway through the season. About the time where the D started playing much better.

8. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Isn't that we have Cromartie? He's a pretty good corner as well, why not build around him...?

Let Revis go to an NFC team (preferably the NFC West), and get something out of him. If we don't want him to go, we need to find a productive way to lower his contract value.

9. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I am quite surprised that there hasn't been any talk about trading David Harris. There's no way he's worth $11M that he's due to get paid in 2013.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

As much as I like Revis we must explore trade options, we can't afford to keep him, it sucks but it is what it is. A great corner is a luxary and we can't afford that luxary anymore. The money it would take to pay Revis we could use to help other areas of need on this team, like a pass rusher or two, depth to the o line, a runningback, wide receiver etc. Plus we have Cromartie and Wilson, while not as good as Revis they have done a solid job this past season.

11. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Oh I'm sorry...did you not see us beat the Colts by 17-16 in the 2010 wild card round...Reggie Wayne, 1 catch for 1 yard...or the Bengals and Chargers in 2010, both of whom saw Revis make a critical game changing interception.

What more impact do you want...we went to the AFC championship game with what everyone on this forum regards to be the worst QB in NFL history, and (aside from Revis) a defense that featured below average players at nearly every position.

I get that you guys are looking for the Superbowl mold, but football is a team sport, and the success the Jets had a few years back was heavily based on the presence of Revis, because aside from him, that team had no business making any noise at any time.

12. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Pretty sure he has the most return tds in the NFL since he left...

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

It was also built around the leagues best offensive line and rushing attack. You need a good offense in this league if you even want to think about a SB. It doesnt matter how great your defense is, if your offense is bottom 5, you arent doing shit.

In the playoffs, we saw a bunch of great defenses (49ers, Ravens, Texans, Broncos, Seahawks) let up a whole lot of points and in order for those teams to win, their offense had to put up at least 24 points against good competition. This team needs to shift focus, and resources to the other side of the ball. Without the development of the O, Revis could be cloned and it wouldnt mean a thing.

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I would trade him in a heartbeat.

15. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Looking at all the advanced metrics that we have today for assessing cb performance coupled with what we know is a receiver/offense friendly modern game, the numbers would indicate that this is not too farfetched. Granted the man is only 27, but if he maintains his high level of play through the next 6-8 years nobody would ever laugh at that statement.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im not sure how realistic it is considering how much he is due... Im not very good with all the cap stuff, but I dont see how a team would want to take on that contract. Otherwise, I would ship him out immediately if given even a remotely decent trade.

17. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Agree to an extent, but having Revis (even if you are paying him $15 mil) does not preclude you from also obtaining an elite pass rusher. Unless there is some rule I am unaware of that states you cannot have a pass rush if you already roster a pro bowl corner...This comes down simply to scouting, drafting and player development- these should be the focus of the organization, not cutting costs.

18. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Not sure there would be much interest after what we saw this year

19. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

What do you mean by shift resources...do we not have 20 mil tied up in our #1 QB and receiver? Is that not enough? The NFL cap is not so limiting that it makes you choose either or - rather, you simply cannot afford to miss w your big money investments, something this organization sadly does way too often

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If this happens I will no longer be a fan of the Jets, I will burn every Jet item I own and announce my disaleggance towards them. Im done if this happens, It will the final straw in my back for this team ill never watch a Jets game again