You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Oh, I hope so. You all did such a wonderful job with Brandon Marshall.

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Since you seem to advocate trading him, who is gonna give up a boatload of picks for Revis who is coming off a torn ACL? And if you can't get a boatload of picks for him, what the fuck is the point of even trading him?

3. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Please not be true.

I will be heartbroken :(

4. AlToon

AlToon Member

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That depends on what people think his value is, it's like the stock market, you don't know what the future holds, so you pay for past performance, Jets fans still think of him as this great shutdown CB so be it.

Other teams are not looking at it this way because they want a return on investment, but there are to many question marks.

It also depends on Revis, will he take less money knowing he has less value because of his injury?
    Or will he try to get paid based on who he was before the injury? I'm okay with trading him.

#185 Red Menace, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me! We're gonna suck next season and most likely in 2014 unless we get someone like Luck in the draft, so we might as well dump Revis while we can get a good return for him. Smart move.

7. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

i know who it was, someone posted it on this board. It was mark Sanchez who led us to those wins!

8. CurbYourEnthusiasm

Look if he was playing at his peak and was going to command a ton of money, then ya you could get a haul back for him.

The guy is coming off an ACL injury. I don't think there is a single team out there that would give up a 1st rounder for him right now. And if that can't be done, is it really worth it to squeeze a later round pick for one of the best players in franchise history. I feel some people want to flip him just to get a return for him, yet they don't care what that return is, as long as its something so he doesn't walk for nothing.

If a team only offers us a 3rd rounder for him, sorry, I'm keeping him and will take my chances on resigning him.

9. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Finally something that comes from the Jets that actually makes sense. This is 100% right move. No cornerback is worth $20M/year.

10. CurbYourEnthusiasm

This is a completely narrow minded view of what a cornerback does.

11. CurbYourEnthusiasm

Who said he was asking for $20 million? Hell, when he first held out and wanted to be the highest paid player he wasn't even asking for more than $15.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm all ears.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It comes down to getting something now versus getting nothing later. It's not like the Jets will be able to meet whatever contract demands Revis has. He's a great player but this is about building a team the right way cap wise and getting draft picks. His trade helps the team achieve both.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Actually it's the best case scenario when you are talking about a shutdown corner. The only season that Revis actually had a dominant effect on the game was the year that Rex and Pettine went blitz crazy and used the 10 on 10 to force QB's to throw at Revis.

They went away from that because Peyton Manning exposed the obvious method of beating it in the AFC championship game that year: throw short timing patterns to everybody else - somebody is going to beat the jam at the LOS and catch the ball before the defense gets to the QB.

15. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

I think a deal will get done at the combine and finalized when the trade deadline opens. My money is on Tampa. Plenty of money to spend. 1st this year, 4tf nect,

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Sorry my post was cutoff, I'm in agreement with you that we should take our chances to resign him, however I would only take that chance if Revis does not ask for 20 million a year.

If his agent comes to the table with those numbers then I would walk away, however if they understand his perceived value and are willing to as for a modest salary then I would listen, If I were the Jets.

17. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Actually Don Shula and Dan Marino exposed it many moons ago. :wink:

18. CurbYourEnthusiasm

Also keep in mind by dealing Revis, you are left with Cromartie and Kyle Wilson; and if anyone thinks Cromartie will play at the same level he did in '12, than they are in for a rude awakening.

I personally don't think we have the pass rush yet to start cropping out our secondary.

If a team tries to sell the farm for Revis, then yea, go for it. I just don't think any team right now would offer more than a 3rd rounder for him for a guy coming off an ACL injury. It's too risky.

Just my 2 cents.

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

I can agree with that. I don't get these $20 million reports; is there a link where he commanded this much?

When he first held out he wanted $15 I believe (or something pretty damn close to it). He's now coming off an ACL injury; even if he plays pretty well off the injury (would be ridiculous to think he'll be the Revis from '09/'10''11, but I prob shouldn't put it past him) there's no way he could ever command $20 million.

If he is, then yea, you trade him. There in lies the rub though, you can't trade him unless you get good value for him, and you don't know how valuable he is until he steps back onto the field and proves he's completely healthy. There's so many diff ways you can look at this.

20. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

abe was a good pass rusher, but he was always hurt when we needed him most. He wasn't that great