You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

DK, this isn't new news. Anyone who understood Revis contract knew it was going to come to this.

It's a shame more Jet Fans didn't realize Revis' Contract let's off free and clear after 2013.

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

since everyone is gung-ho to trade Revis, give me a potential deal you see happening.

team and picks

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

it does, it would show ME that Woody, Idzik and Rex did everything they can to keep our franchise player

Tanny was trying to low ball him while paying Harris top ILB money, Holmes top WR money, Sanchez top QB money and Cromartie top CB money but Revis doesn't get the same

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

they should discuss an extension with him, if he doesn't want to extend or wants too much then we should deal him, as much as I hate to say it. I don't wanna see him walk with us getting nothing in return.

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

That's just plain stupid...cmom man!!

It's over Dude, you have Revis for 2013 and that's it, or trade him before the deadline this Spring.

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

In 2014....
    5M can be saved by releasing Dave Harris (If he doesn't improve his play)
    8.3M can be saved by releasing Sanchez
    8.3M can be saved by releasing Santonio Holmes
    5.5M can be saved by releasing Sione Pouha (If he isn't this year)

And in this offseason we're likely to see the significant contracts of Tim Tebow, Jason Smith, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Eric Smith and maybe Sione Pouha gone...
    In addition, I expect Shonn Greene, Dustin Keller, Brandon Moore and or Matt Slauson, Mike DeVito and LaRon Landry to be elsewhere so we likely won't have those contracts on the books.

It seems like a ton of guys to be cut, but really I don't see much of a way around most of those moves... Are we sure that there wouldn't be enough money to pay Revis next offseason? If we feel that'd be too much money tied up in CBs (for a rebuilding team especially), what if Kyle Wilson was moved to FS? They're different players, but New England did this with Devin McCourty and it's working out quite well.

I'm very iffy on trading Revis, especially because his trade value would be significantly lower coming off a major knee injury. And I'd be very excited to see Revis and Cromarite line up at CB in 2013 after Cromartie stepped up so much this year.

7. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

He's a great corner and all, but we have a LOT of money tied up into him.

Long term health of the franchise suggests that we trade him or drastically reduce his contract. Revis won't do the latter, so we'll do the former. We need a team not Darrelle Revis and the midgets.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

now answer this question. after all the historically skilled players on the team are gone, providing us with the flexibility to sign other players, and there will undoubtedly several other teams willing to pay Revis just as much as the Jets are likely to offer, why would Revis sign with the Jets and endure a rebuilding when he can go elsewhere, make as much money, and maybe be on a better team. the only other option would be to overpay Revis, thus prohibiting the ability to build around him.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

A lot of broken hearts in this thread

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

In a passing league you need to have cover corners like Revis. I know he can bounce back from this. We traded Abe away 7 years ago and still haven't replaced him.

11. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Trade him for the other 31 first round draft picks

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

some deals I would do:

Team: Detroit
    - 2013 first round pick
    - Ndamukong Suh/Calvin Johnson (one of the other)
    - 2013 fourth round pick

Team: Tampa Bay
    - 2013 first round pick
    - 2013 secnd round pick
    - 2013 fourth round pick
    - 2014 first round pick

Team: Houston
    - 2013 first round pick
    - J.J. Watt
    - 2013 fourth round pick

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The worst thing that can happen with Revis at this point is that he walks away from the Jets at the end of the 2013 season as an unrestricted FA.

If he signs with any of our primary competitors, the Jets have no one but themselves to blame. Especially since we'll likely only be compensated with a third round pick.

Either resign him or trade him for good value to an NFC team. Tampa Bay anyone?

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Doesn't matter, he's a URFA next year...his career as a Jet is winding down.

He's either played his last game as a Jet or 2013 will be his last year.

15. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I'd like picks back, no players who will need an extension soon. We need a talent overhaul, not a missing piece.

16. JetBlue

if he doesn't stay, he wouldn't be our franchise player. who gives a shit if they tried to keep him if he goes elsewhere. I'd rather have management that understands that you don't build a team by losing great players for nothing if you don't think they are staying to begin with.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

+1.......thats' it in a nutshell.

Tanny is the one to blame.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That's only half true... yes, we never got a pass rusher with even half of John Abraham's ability. But Abraham was an injury liability (that hasn't changed) and we ended up with Nick Mangold, who is arguably top 3 at his position.

19. JetBlue

in a passing league you need pressure on the QB. even the best coverage breaks down if the QB has time, but it is more difficult for a QB to identify and make the right throw if he doesn't have the time to do so.

20. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Not a fan. I'd like to see Revis be a Jet for life.

Also, if we dump him this year we take a large cap hit than him being here.

Fuck a 1st and 4th round pick. Kyle Wilson was a first round pick around the same area.... and he's a decent 2 or 3. Not a fan unless we can trade for the rights to Johnny Football.