You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it is not a non-sequitur, it forces you to look at the construction of teams that have won the Super Bowl and identify the components that have made that possible and if the inclusion of a player like Revis matches that.

winning those playoff games was exciting, but nobody won those playoff games and said "if this is as far as we go, I'm good." as a fan I want to see the team win a Super Bowl, and the way teams, and defenses, succeed at a Super Bowl level are not dependent on having a lockdown corner.

in a passing league, the most important defensive ability is getting pressure on the QB and forcing him to throw the ball sooner than he likes. coverage sacks don't win games. they will make plays every once in a while, but over the course of a game it doesn't matter how well you cover one receiver, if the QB has time he will always find another option that will get open.

having Revis is great, unless keeping him prevents the team from building a defense that can pressure the QB. and that can only occur two ways -- drafting players or signing them, both of which become available if we get draft picks and free up cap space by trading Revis.

2. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

Perhaps AP's recovery is exactly WHY you trade him now. With the way AP and Jamaal Charles came back this year, teams may not be as afraid to trade for a player coming off of an ACL injury than they normally would have been in the past.

3. JackTheFootballGuru

JackTheFootballGuru New Member

My point exactly. I wouldn't trade him.

4. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

Yeah, once you understand the amount of money you'd have to pay him after 2013 in order to keep him and then take into consideration our cap situation and lack of depth across the board it's a no brainer.

Might as well get something now for him than nothing a year later.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Too bad the Redskins don't have a 2014 first rounder because I would seriously try and grab Cousins / Orapko and some draft picks

6. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Here is why everyone agrees that the Jets have the absolute worst fan base in professional sports.

They want to trade Darrelle Revis for Kirk fucking Cousins and change.

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Revis' last year as a Jet will be 2013, that's a fact. He can't be franchised, it's over, another Tanny failure of a contract.

Revis' agents are going to go to the highest bidder and it won't be the Jets.

As much as it sucks, looking to get compensation for him now is smart, better than ZERO next year. The best we would get for losing Revis next year is a 3rd Round Comp pick in 2015.

These are all facts ....hard to swallow, thank Tanny for our situation.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

and there you have a point.

9. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

I would hate to trade him for only picks. We don't even draft good to begin with. Only way I trade Revis Christ is for a franchise qb or a playmaker rb

10. 101GangGreen101

actually I would - if I knew Revis would forever destroy my cap-space, I'm going to get at least something for him. Cousins ain't too bad, and if I could get Orakpo and 1 and a 2 at least then you cannot at least think about that deal.

EDIT - At the same time, the deal doesn't destroy our cap and we get a pretty good QB who I thought looked pretty good in his start this season. But yeah my idea is garbage right? Let's see who we really get him for when the time comes around

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

We got Holmes and Sanchez coming off the books next year

Harris after that

who the hell says we dont have the money

I swear we can build this team around our stud corners and be right in the thick of things with a few hits in the draft and good pick ups in free agency

trading Revis will be the biggest mistake we've made as a franchise

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You make it sound like Tannenbaum didn't try to lock up Revis longterm. If you really don't think Revis will ask for top dollar, you'd better think again. This is the same guy that renegotiated his contract for more money and put enough clauses in his contract that he can't be franchised. Revis is a professional football player. He's gonna get his money be it from the Jets or anyone who's willing to write a big enough check.

This is no strawman argument. This is the reality of what we've seen so far in the Jets' negotiations with Revis. Revis w/o a pass rush makes him the best CB in the league on a defense that can't pressure the Qb or stop the big play. Revis w/o a competent offensive line that actually run and pass blocks is simply the Best CB in the league on a team that loses a lot of games. Revis by himself cannot win a lot of games. Revis and 8 other JAGS ain't winning a lot of games either.

#52 Cman68, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

he wont destroy our cap

Holmes and Sanchez come off in 2014
    Harris in 2015

manage the cap the right way from now on and Revis is our highest paid player but we're building through the draft so it shouldn't be an issue

14. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

ugh. This would be a bad move, if ya ask me. I wouldn't be able to survive watching Kyle fucking Wilson get torched every fucking game. Revis is a franchise player. He's the player that you keep for 10 seasons. He's the best in the league. Don't do it, Woody. Please.

15. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Prediction.....

Revis will only be traded if some team will give us something crazy.... like 2 1st rounders or a legit Franchise QB. Or it could be like the Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey deal, remember Bailey was traded from the Skins because of a contract dispute.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That depends on how much Revis is willing to sign for or how much he's offered either by us or another team. We get into a bidding war for Revis and we'll lose.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Revis will be gone after 2013...and you get nada.

You really think the Jets are going to win the bidding war when he's an URFA next year???...not.

18. 101GangGreen101

Depends how much he's asking for. 13 14 mil a year won't cut it that's too much

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

We don't trade Revis, we get nothing next year.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The problem is that he would more than likely be traded for picks that you won't know what you would end up getting with.