Worse in 2013?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cval, Jan 23, 2013.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Maybe I am crazy but the Jets won six games last year with the worse offense in the league and a multitude of injuries. Does everybody really expect the defense to implode and the offense not get any better?

Next year is almost guaranteed at least seven wins with a healthy roster no?

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yes, because of the cap situation we are going to be cutting several starters from last year, or letting them walk as free agents. Pace, Scott, and Thomas should all not be back in the line backing core. Landry is most likely gone from the defensive backfield. Keller, Moore, Greene, and Slauson would need new contracts in an at best tight cap situation.

This team is going to look drastically different no matter how good of a job Idzik does year one.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We could've easily lost a few more games last year, Miami game comes to mind.

The defense isn't the problem. It's all about the offense. There's no reason to think the offense is going to be better AT THIS POINT. However that could change once Idzik starts making moves via FA and the draft so it remains to be seen. Yet as long as Sanchez is the starting QB then no, there's zero optimism to think that the team will be be better than 6 wins next year. Even with his #1 WR back healthy next year it doesn't mean a thing as long as Suckchez is under center.

4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Sure, but not with Sanchez at QB. We will lose some defense, but getting Revis back and playing him will help. Who we get to play LB will be important. And WRs and a tight end, because I think (and want) Keller gone.

5. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

For me it depends on who we retain/sign in free agency and obv who the QB is. I think if we resign Landry we are fine on defense. People will bring up how our LB corps suck, but I don't think people realize this offseason we will be cutting deadweight. There isn't a doubt in my mind that Demario Davis can outperform what Bart Scott brought to the table the last two seasons.

If we can get an average OLB and draft another one I think we will be OK.

Offensively, you're prob right, it's hard to envision being worse than last yr. Holmes comes back presumably healthy, and hopefully so does Hill.

Like all things in football it comes down to the QB position. Until we know who the starter is, it's tough to know what this team will be next year.

6. Realistic Jets Fan

winning season in 2013

watch it happen

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Rex is no dummy. He lost just enough games last year to keep HIS job but get Tanny, Sparano, Tebow, and Petine the fuck outa here. Brilliant.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

its funny that people point to who we will be losing as to why next year will be worse. then you open another thread and some one is saying that most of those guys suck. " thhen you here about how we could have lost the miami game and some one brings up how we could have beaten n.e.
    i think we will be better only because we upgraded the o.c. posiion. is he going to turn this team into the greatest show on turf? probably not. but he will be better than 30th in the league

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Nothing is guaranteed, let's wait and see what we can do w/ the cap and what improvements we can make but teams get good and bad quickly in this league so it is very possible we can be much better next year.

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Still another 8.5 months until the season starts. Let's wait to see what's actually done especially between March and April.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The offense should be improved, but we are losing a lot of players on both sides of the ball for the first Time in years. Things could be better, but right now we are entering a season with more uncertainty on the defensive side of the ball tha we have in years. Add to that the cap situation will keep us from adding many vets and the gloom seems to not be way out of line.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, if it weren't so painful I suppose it could be amusing.

The fact is that many players who coincidentally are near the end of their contracts were overpaid last year, and most of them are likely gone. So it's not a great loss, but still their departures create holes that must be filled, with not much money available. It will be a rebuilding year, and that is the common thread between those who say next year looks bleak and those who will not be sorry to see some of the older vets leave.

But the key is Sanchez. If he's still around, i don't see any other moves ending up being a real positive in terms of the overall record.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

On paper the Jets will be worse in 2013 than they were in 2012.

They're going to be missing Calvin Pace and Bart Scott and probably Bryan Thomas, so that's 3 of the 4 starting LB's gone. They're going to be missing LaRon Landry and maybe Yeremiah Bell, that's the starting safeties. They're going to be missing Eric Smith who is the nickel safety. There's an excellent chance they are missing Sione Pouha and Mike Devito, that's 2 rotational guys on the defensive line. They're fairly likely to be missing Antonio Cromartie.

That's not all upside talent which is why most of them are on the way out the door. It is a bunch of starters and people familiar with the system. The Jets defense will be worse on paper until the young guys who replace most of the above prove out and history tells us that's going to be hit and miss.

I still think the Jets will have a floor of 5 or 6 wins but I expect the talent on the roster to be worse next year.

I won't get into things on the offensive side because the departures there are going to be from a bad unit that cannot get worse.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is really what it boils down to will our defense be better or worse? I think some of the guys on your list could be back with restructured contracts. I also don't see any of the LB being that hard to replace.

I see Ellis and Coples making huge jumps next year and hopefully a healthy Revis. Safety worries me because we play the Pats twice a year but we will see what happens in FA.

The offense there is really no way they can be any worse can they?

15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Everyone is looking at the talent that may or may not be on the roster and gauging wins / losses vs. this year.

People aren't looking at the schedule for 2013. Next year's schedule is much tougher imho. Even with the same talent on D and a healthy offense they could slip a few games simply due to their schedule. Factor in losses on D and time to jell on O and this could easily be another 5-6 win season.

The NFC south is top to bottom a tougher division than the NFC west.

The AFC north is top to bottom a tougher division than the AFC south.

Pittsburgh / Tennessee next year as opposed to Pittsburgh / San Diego this year.

The best case to me is 1-3 against the NFC south, 2-2 (by some miracle) against the AFC north, splitting the Pitt/Tenn games. That's an optimistic 4-6 before figuring divisional play.

For the Jets to show improvement enough for Rex to keep his job he needs to realistically sweep both Miami and Buffalo and have decent showings against NE win or lose.

#15 No Fly Zone, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Or won....the Jags game comes to mind.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We don't know what Woody Johnson and John Idzik are thinking about Rex at the moment. It's not written in stone that 6-10 or even 5-11 is going to see Rex replaced after the season. If he keeps things together in a year where the Jets are in rebuild flux and the team avoids a collapse season he'll have done a man's job for the Jets.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Basically what Bradway said, combined with the fact that our schedule looks to be a LOT harder. Our offense speaks for itself. Until we find a franchise QB I dont see it making it out of the bottom 10.

19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It's a rebuilding year. The key is to build for the future. Don't expect much next season.

20. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

The thing is we have a very difficult schedule in 2013, I think the team will be better but I won't be surprised if we have the same record or worse. We have to play the AFC North, 3 really good teams + the browns, the NFC south and all of those games will be tough, then of course we have new england twice, and the bills and dolphins have gotten better. The we have the Titans and the Raiders as the other two games.

I see at least 5 wins on the schedule but beyond that I really don't know.