2013 Australian Open Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by displacedfan, Jan 13, 2013.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah it was incredible. But yeah it will drain him too.

Tsonga/Gasquet tonight, I'm really excited about that one

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

A shame that Wawrinka didn't challenge that baseline call that he had on break point against Djoko. The chair umpire screwed up by indicating (and confirming) that bad "out" call when the Spot Shot showed the ball hitting the baseline. Wawrinka would've then been serving for the match. That said, great match - Stan was ripping his backhand.

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

yeah it was a bad call. the announcers were saying they hoped no one told him in the short break after because he would've been really demoralized.

4. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Almagro has never been in the semis of a major. He's up 6-4 6-4 on Ferrer now, though. Is it finally the time?

This is his 34th appearance in a Grand Slam event, by the way, and he's been ranked in the top 20 for a long time.

This tournament was his first time to even make the quarterfinals at a major not played in Roland Garros.

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Ferrer answers with 7-5 7-6 and now it's going to a fifth set

6. displacedfan

Ugh Fed on at 3:30 AM EST. Not going to get up for this one, hopefully he pulls through. Tsonga is a tough matchup.

Almagro was so close. Can't believe he lost. Had to be a factor he knew he hadn't beaten Ferrer before. I've lost a local tennis match like that, it sucks. Nothing you can do except think if you just served better

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

all the big men's matches, every year. They like to put the big matches at 8:45 PM or whatever local time.

So every year I can't watch the big men's matches live. This year it's not so bad because ESPN3 has been posting the replays like 2 hours after the matches end.

8. displacedfan

I've tried wathcing matches delayed, but I always end up seeing the score before I watch it and then it kind of ruins it for me personally

9. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

"Tape delay" is united states middle name:)

Dont get tape delay here for sports , if its on at 3am its on live, the days of hiding results went when a thing call the internet was invented:)

Watching the olympics in the states when in its a bad timezone must really piss you guys off

10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

with me I can watch it in the morning. If I had to go through a whole day first, then it would be problematic. But if I just sleep through the match, it works out that when I wake up, the replay is available.

11. displacedfan

Yeah then that's perfect. I remember I was at work for the Federer/Djokovic Wimbledon Semifinal. I knew what happened and how it happened and I was really excited to watch it, but once I started watching it was weird knowing

12. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Holy shit, down goes Serena.

13. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Injured her back during match

14. displacedfan

Big win for sloane. Could have given up down 2-0 in the second or down a break in the third. Tough luck for Serena with the injury.

You know sharapova is pumped Serena's out of the draw

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

yeah sharapova now the favorite, while she would've had little chance had she faced Serena

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Fed is so old he's now reaching Semi-finals in the Andy Murray era.

17. displacedfan

NBC used to tape delay Wimbledon men's semifinals so you would be watching the tape delay of one semi while the other semi was going on live but they wouldn't show it. It was ridiculous. I like ESPNs coverage of tennis a lot. They do a great job in my opinion although like most American networks, they focus and show American players a lot.

Olympics aren't too bad. A lot of events start outside of primetime or later in the night so you can get up early or stay up late to watch them. That's the difference with the AO, it's at 3:30 semi and that's the only thing, nothing before it to stay up for, at least for my interest.

And yep, once the internet and smart phones, tape delay really went away. I used to watch Knicks west coast games late on Friday nights by taping them on VHS and playing them the next day

Haha.

1-4 made it to the final four for the men which is slightly surprising considering Ferrer is the #4 and it's not the usual 4. I'm rooting for Murray or Federer to take this this title.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Only could watch the first three sets because ESPN3 stopped working in the middle. Oh well. It crapped out after Fed won his second tiebreak and clearing cookies, switching computers/browsers didn't help.

19. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Sharapova had been rolling, with five bagels and no dropped sets, but Li took her out 6-2 6-2. Sharapova's serve was really bad. I watched the first set.

So the top two women's favorites now out. Azarenka faces Stephens next (match starting in 10 minutes or so).