Poll: what kind of stats does Sanchize have to put up to remain a Jet after next seas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Jan 7, 2013.

1. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

True. Like when the wr drops a pass, when a defender knocks the ball down on a accurate pass on good coverage or no separation by the wr. Good passes get deflected at the line. So accuracy and completion % is different.

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

He was sub 60% this year, he was 59.7% and last year it was lower at 57.6%, but his career completion percentage is 60.5%. Like I said, the year in and year out average can move up and down, but the overall sample does reflect accuracy. When a QB over his career is at or over 60% the number of variables decreases. In an individual season there are many variables that can lead to slightly different results, but the larger the sample size the more accurate the interpetation.

Though it is worth noting that even Flaccos worst year in terms of completion percentage is better than Sanchez's best. Additionally Flacco's worst Yards per attempt are equal to or better than Sanchez's best, which over the course of a career means more long passes being attempted by Flacco and fewer shorter high percentage passes.

Another indicator of accuracy over the longer period is the number of interceptions from year to year, one year may spike because of exceptional circumstances, or if a play throws deep more often that may result in more interceptions. But, to use Flacco again, Flacco has never thrown more than 12 interceptions and he goes mid or deep more frequently than Sanchez, but Sanchez has only been under 18 interceptions 1 time in 4 years. This is another indication of accuracy.

so yes, on a year to year basis completion percentage does not indicate with authority accuracy, but over the course of a career it does. The best correlation is when compared to players of his own era as they play under the same rules and against many of the same players. In the 1970's Sanchez's 54% would have been a very good percentage, in today's passing game when the year in and year out league average is right around 60%, not so much.

But the truth is I've watched almost every jets game over Sanchez's career, and if you watch his throws as a whole compared to most other QB's throws over the course of the year it's clear he's not very good.

Under the exact right system he could probably get close to sniffing 60%, but not with his hesitation and lack of anticipation.

3. 1968jetsfan

All you have to do is watch the highlights from the playoffs Junc, not very difficult for a "person" with such knowledge as yourself. How's work/school? I notice you only post on weekdays, so it must be from one place or the other.

4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I never wrote you didn't acknowledge Sanchez as having had an awful season. What I wrote is that you are entirely delusional with respect to your assessment of Sanchez as a player over the course of his career. In particular, you are completely delusional regarding Sanchez's past performance, especially with regards to its supposed correlation with the team's success.

Again, you are left with nothing but meaningless remarks that have no bearing on football, the Jets, or Mark Sanchez. Comments like "the only thing you guys expose are yourselves in flashing trenchcoats" only serve to highlight how much personal angst you have invested in failing to adequately defend your hero. You are clearly at a loss for decent retorts related to anything we have been debating because there is just nothing substantial for you to actually write. I have gone out of my way to attack your posts because your arguments are absurd, illogical, and clearly based on some sort of unexplained personal favoritism (similar to the unwavering favoritism you displayed for Chad Pennington), and as such, I think they hurt the quality of intelligent discourse on this message board. Again, I attack you based on your irrefutably silly arguments . . . you respond with hot air. It's all revealed therein.

5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Whatever.
    Here's the really scary part ...
    Not only does Sanchez have an embarrassingly low completion % ... which is bad enough all by itself ... but he also has a YPA number which is among the lowest, if not THE lowest, in the entire league.

You know what that means? It means he settles for short dump-offs and check downs instead of pushing the ball down the field, and he STILL can't complete his passes at an acceptable NFL level. Totally damning for any QB ... and an indisputable barometer of just how inaccurate he really is. When you're trying to dink and dunk your way down the field, you better be able to complete over 60% of your passes, and Sanchez has never even been close.

Let me put it another way ... he's the Anti-Andrew Luck.
    Luck has a low completion %, but he makes up for it by connecting on big plays down the field. You can say the same thing about Cam Newton, Josh Freeman and even Jake Locker. JAKE LOCKER!!! The problem with Sanchez, is that he misses on almost every big play that presents itself ... and also misses the small ones.

There's still another way to put it --- Mark Sanchez is an atrocious quarterback.

6. slimjasi

The bolded is spot on and is precisely why it is beyond absurd to argue that Sanchez isn't an inaccurate passer . . . In reality, he is unusually (for an NFL quarterback, anyway) inaccurate.

#546 slimjasi, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

send us links so we can see, who cares where I post from? why are you deflecting?

who are the guys to throw downfield to?

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Okay, but Mark's in his 4th year. Would you at least agree that a QB in his 4th year ought to have his shit together enough to help elevate the level of talent around him? To be accurate? To be on time with his delivery? To not make the poor bastard become a circus contortionist in order to make the catch? To place the ball in front of his WRs, so they can catch it in stride? To not handle the ball like a loaf of bread after he's been scolded 15 times for doing same? To throw it away when all else fails, instead of flayling around with the ball in your hand just waiting for someone to smack it out?

Now, you say "he's shown us ability in the past." Terrific! Then is it not unreasonable for a thinking person to expect a 4-year guy to be progressing instead of regressing, right? What part of not improving are you not getting? Early flashes of ability in the past doesn't help the 2012 6-10 season.

At some point you're truly damaging your credibility on this board Junc, and I hate to see that happening because you are a good poster for the most part. I understand you like to take the contrary argument and defend it vigorously. I commend you for that. But at some point, everyone should know that it's better to throw the ball away than take a 12-yard loss on the play.

9. Section 227. Row 5

I'll tell everyone why this thread is so popular and why it's good therapy for us Jets fans right now.

Were it not for Junc taking the opposing (defending) point of view about Sanchez, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And if we weren't having this discussion (no one in his right mind would be arguing with us), we wouldn't be able to get the bad taste of this miserable, Sanchez-stinking-up-the-field season out of our heads.

SOOOOOO.......

Thank you Junc! You are the man!

10. slimjasi

hmmm, fair point.

11. 1968jetsfan

No deflection Junc, just no point in posting the 500 or so links I could provide, and you know that I could provide just by doing a youtube search on some QB names, not exactly difficult research.

But consider this, over Sanchez's career I doubt you can find more than 5 clips where on a pass over 15 yards he hit a reciever in stride...

Why does it matter where you post from? It really doesn't, just an observation which speaks towards character.

12. 1968jetsfan

Funny thing about your tagline, Oh the Jets could move him, it would only be a 8.9M cap hit to trade him...In fact we could pay 6 million of his salary to the team taking him and still save 2-3 million over what the cap his to cut him.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Hmmmmm.... interesting challenge. There may be 5 or so.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So...I don't think we will be hearing anything about a Jets West this year..just a hunch.

15. slimjasi

lol, i have to agreee here.

16. Section 227. Row 5

I certainly hope not. My opinion (for whatever it's worth) is to work around GMac this year and draft what we need looking forward to 2014.

We're certainly a long way from contending right now.

17. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

YOU DON'T KNOW THE GAME OF FOOTBALL

/nyjunc

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

This year week one buffalo, week 10 st Louis.

4 of 6 playoff games. If you want to make shit up, great....but at least preface it, by saying so.

The simple fact is four four fucking years the majority of Sanchez throws have been taske at third and more than 6.

Week. One, third and seven hits kerleynform21, no YAC.

Third and six, hits hill in the hands, DPI.

Same drive hits Kerley in the end zone, for 6 12 yards out with the drop 17.

One drive one game. Stfu, or quit spouting nonsense.

#558 Hobbes3259, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  19. slimjasi

Speaking of making things up . . . please provide a reference for this because I don't think there is any chance that this is true.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

dear junc, i contend that ray rice is a better running back because of joe flacco. he has more opportunity to succeed because of flacco. not the other way around as you love to talk about. maybe if we sent joe mcknight to baltimore he would be a successful running back, after all he was the top ranked player coming out of high school.

anyways... to the rest of you, here is a little bit of information on how to deal with a person like junc. i realize its not jets related or even related to this topic, however i think its a public service that may help many of us deal with things like junc.

http://voices.yahoo.com/what-someone-likes-argue-863501.html?cat=41

Have you ever been in the company of people who seemed to enjoy fighting and arguing? Some people aren't happy unless they're creating chaos, and others have to take an opposite stance no matter what they truly believe. These people are difficult, and although they probably have their pleasant moments when they're cordial and caring, other times they're confrontational and truly impossible. Don't let them bring you down!

The following information will help you learn how to deal with someone who likes to argue. Once they discover they can't get what they want, they'll find someone else to taunt and tease. A little bit of simple psychology is all it takes to stop arguers in their tracks. You'll be able to sit back and feel like you've won the battle without raising your voice or stooping to their miserable level. Best of all, you might not have to do a thing.

You'll Never Change Their Mind

If someone has an unpleasant disposition and is easily angered, or if someone goes out of their way to pick fights, don't play into their moods or their games. I've known a few people who liked to argue and a couple of others who just weren't nice, and I would have never changed their minds about anything. Even if people like that believe what you're saying, they'll never admit it. Don't waste your time. If someone likes to argue, walk away and they'll be arguing with themselves!

Don't Respond to Their Actions

Someone who likes to argue and wants to take their argument a step or two further with demonstrations of how asinine they truly are is clearly wanting attention. Don't give them the attention they're seeking. Go about your business as if nothing were wrong, and don't respond to immature outbursts and fits of anger. They'll either get over the problem, or they can remove themselves from the room.

Bite Your Tongue

It's hard not to answer someone who likes to argue and fight, and I must admit I've thrown a few verbal punches to no avail. No matter how carefully you choose your words, and no matter how rational your argument may be, those who like to argue for arguments sake will never back down. This is why you might as well bite your tongue when in the presence of someone who likes to argue. Sometimes you can say more by not saying anything at all.

Find Something Constructive to Do

If you're stuck visiting or even living with someone who likes to argue, don't spend idle time in their presence. Instead of listening to ranting and raving, or instead of responding with words that won't mean a thing, get up and do something constructive. Remove yourself from the situation, even if it means retreating to your room to work on a craft you enjoy or going outside. Look busy, and chances are they'll give up or find someone else to harass.

Cut Ties if Necessary

If you're completely miserable and can't seem to ever agree with someone who likes to argue, it might be necessary to cut ties with the difficult individual. I've had to cut ties with difficult people. I didn't fight with them, I didn't argue, and I didn't go out of my way to make them angry. I did just the opposite, but since some people really do seem to make a hobby out of arguing, it's sometimes best just to go your separate ways. It goes back to the old saying, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, and if you must be in the company of someone who likes to argue, remember those very wise words. Your blood pressure won't go up, and no one will ever be able to say you didn't try!