QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The word you are looking for isn't anti Sanchez...it's unintelligent.

I'm not saying Sanchez is without flaws, I'm just saying take the circumstances into consideration.

The sidebar has an article, that basically makes all the same points, except it doesn't point out the barrel full of trash he was throwing to this year,
    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/1/20/3896260/sanchez-may-have-one-last-shot-with-marty

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I don't recall what the Orton's demands were with the fins but he made $900k this year in Dallas. His contract equates to about $3.5 mil a year in Dallas. This is the same ballpark moneywise that Moore should be in.

Also TB has Freeman and he's most likely there through it at least 2013. I doubt TB is looking to bring in a high priced backup.

3. JetsNation06

There's no doubt about it that Campbell's a safe play based on those numbers. However I've watched Campbell closely since he came into the league. A lot of Redskins fans thought he was their future franchise QB when they drafted him. There's just something missing with him. Always has been. He was never able to make the big completion when the game was on the line. Whereas Moore, I've seen him in limited times like the one game where he beat us last year I think? The kid seems to thrive on being in the spotlight from his limited action. I just think Moore has more upside than Campbell even though Campbell is probably a safer play.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Matt Moore, Matt Flynn, and Jason Cambell are all hot garbage.

Of the three Campbell would be the guy to come in and be the perfect Backup, like they tried to do with Brunell.

Matt Moore stats.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorMa01.htm

The guy is green, and his career completion percentage is barely better than Sanchez.
    Yeah, trading down is the way to go.

5. Realistic Jets Fan

you left Matt Moore off your poll and he is the only real choice that makes sense

6. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

If you are going to use hot garbage when constructing a sentence about QBs, Mark Sanchez must be in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. Realistic Jets Fan

Moore kicked the Jets ass at the end of 2011 and then again in 2012 when unfortunately the Jets defense injured Ryan Tannegarbage and cost their team the game

Moore doesn't require a trade, no more Tannebum pissed away draft picks, and if he knows he has a legit shot at being the starter will be willing to sign up for a reasonable cost FA deal

And considering that Greg McElroy is the only other legitimate QB on the Jets roster, he should have that legit chance for sure

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

If the Jets ceiling is going to more than 9-10 wins and a playoff berth, they must have a franchise QB. None of the people on this list - Smith, Campbell, Moore, Kolb, Flynn , Orton come close to fitting this bill. Why bring them here? What is the point? Keep Sanchez and McElroy. Get Tebow out of here as fast as you can. Draft somebody in the first round if you believe that player has franchise potential - Smith, Glennon?? If not, take someone in the middle rounds to compete with Sanchez and McElroy and draft another QB next year.

The Jets are better off sucking and picking early in 2014 than winning 7-8 games and picking 14th.

One thing we know. The crew of other teams' trash - a bunch of journeymen and never will bes - in this poll does not contain a franchise QB. Why waste time, money, and/or picks on this crew. The future Jets QB is likely not in the league yet.

If Moore were the answer, he would have started this year in Miami. If Campbell were the answer he wouldn't be on his third team in three years. Same with Orton. Kolb has blown two golden opportunities. Smith has been discussed at length in this thread and is mediocre with Harbaugh as a coach and terrible the rest of his career and has been benched for a player who fits the bill as a potential franchise QB in the middle of a SB run. Flynn was beaten out by a 3rd round pick after the 'Hawks paid him a fortune.

Let's face reality here. I want none of these guys on the team.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Campbell was a 1st round pick. That brings high expectations to the party and it's easy to miss those even when you're playing at an acceptable level. If you're not a star then people will say the pick flopped, you're not good enough, good riddance.

The same guy taken in the 6th round will be exceeding expectations but ultimately still not good enough, we've got to find better.

All the Jets are likely to be looking for next season is somebody to play at an acceptable level while they clear cap problems, install the new offense and maybe develop a rookie or wait on 2014 for the rookie. Campbell is well-suited for that. He's better suited for it than anybody else out there at the moment.

Jets fans have to get the idea that the Jets will be good at QB in 2013 out of their heads. It's very unlikely that the Jets will find a good to great QB anywhere that they can reasonably look in 2013. They don't have the right draft picks (early 1st, early 2nd) to proactively go looking in the draft and the guys they would be looking for aren't even there in the 1st round.

Drafting a guy on the 9 and then bringing him in to a lot of hoopla would be repeating the mistake they made with Sanchez in 2009, albeit with a bit sounder prospect at a lower price. Going to make a big trade for a guy is going to be repeating the mistake they made with Favre in 2008, except the team is not as good overall as they were then and really nobody like Favre will be available and certainly not at a good price.

About the best we can hope for at this point is that the Jets find a journeyman to compete with Sanchez and maybe draft a rookie to develop for a year or two. Campbell is probably the best low expectations journeyman out there to run a WCO and he's completely expendable in the process. There won't be any trouble replacing him in a year or two when the guy the Jets really want is available.

Matt Moore is going to be over-priced this year because there aren't a lot of quality free agent QB's (there never are) and he's no better than Campbell, just another shade of journeyman QB putting in a few years before he's out of the league.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I get what you're saying about the prospects of picking top 3 vs picking 14 but you never want your team to suck. Most teams that suck find out that it's only 50/50 a good prospect at QB is there for them and then it's only 50/50 he works out and those odds are too low to suck for.

I'd much rather the Jets aim for .500 in a rebuilding year and then fall short of that than just be crappy all year long. As long as Rex is not talking the team up the fans will accept a rebuilding year and they'll deal with 5-11 if that happens. Really we'd all rather watch 8-8 with a few young players developing into stars in the process.

Yep. The journeymen are just to get us through a year when having Sanchez out there might be the irritant that put the Jets in trouble. 5-11 with a cheap import with no expectations would be more bearable for most people than watching the same show we have watched for the last season and a half.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Whenever Moore has gotten a chance he's played well whether it was in Carolina or Miami. He is not "hot garbage".

Matt Flynn is an unknown so we can't call him good or "hot garbage"

Jason Campbell i'll give you that.

However based on what I've seen I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Mark Sanchez IS "hot garbage"

12. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Matt Flynn Preseason Stats 2012:

vs Titans: 11/13 (84%) 71 yards, 1 int

vs Broncos 6/13 (46%) 31 yards.

vs Raiders 11/13 (84%) 102 yards 1 td (vs second string.)

13. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Moore's a good serviceable QB. The Jets should bring him in at least to compete with Sanchez for the starting job. Worse case is that you have Moore as a backup and if Sanchez blows (highly likely), you have a decent backup QB ready to go.

Rex needs a 8-8 season or so to get an extension. He can't go 5-11 or 6-10 and expect to get a new deal. He needs a good QB brought in and I expect him to make a big push towards Moore (no cost with picks or big money)...All Moore wants is an open competition...Easy enough.

Philbin as a new coach chose to tie his future immediately to Tannehill...It makes sense as we did draft him in the top 10.

There is nothing like learning on the job and so Tannehill got the job....Did a decent job considering we don't have a number 1 or 2 receiver and our offensine line fucking sucked at times...

The minute Tannehill was drafted, it was his job and many of us were clamoring for him to start day 1 of the season. We were in a rebuilding year so makes no sense for us to start Moore. You guys are in a Save Rex's Job mode. Moore is perfect for that. Sanchez is more likely to get Rex fired then get him a long term deal.

Many of you are not thinking from Rex's perspective about how he needs his job saved for this upcoming season...You can't only look at the long term vision (GM).

#113 deathstar, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  14. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Word is TB wants someone other than Freeman...I believe Freeman will be up for trade.

I think Orton wanted 10Mil 2 years...fins almost pulled the trigger.

I still dont think the Jets will have the cap space required to sing Moore with so many other positions of need.

15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Idd Take Alex Smith over Matt Flynn because he has more experience on gameday on the field then Flynn does, But our new GM might wanna trade to his old team to get Matt Flynn, It might be easy for IDzik to strike a deal with the Seahawks to send Flynn to NY

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

ya IF Carroll will take back Sanchez!

We cant have both

17. JetsNation06

Out of Flynn, Smith, Campbell and Moore, the most economical will be Moore. Flynn and Smith have big numbers that would do much more damage to our cap than Moore.

Campbell is another Sanchez so that removes him from the equation.

Flynn we don't know about as he has almost no regular game film. Smith is solid but he'll cost us way too much. Moore has played very well against us and shown a lot of upside.

Moore definitely is the most affordable and makes the most sense cap-wise out of these options.

18. JetsNation06

Well they're definitely bringing in another FA QB as that is the biggest area of need on this team currently. If you say Moore isn't cap friendly then I'm not sure which QB you would propose as all of the other main names listed would be a lot less cap friendly than Moore would be.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I agree with all this except that Sanchez shouldn't even be in the competition. It should be between Moore and McElroy and if they draft a QB then throw him in there too. If I had my way Sanchez would be inactive for the entire 2013 season, unless our QB's all get hurt then we would have no choice.

20. endydee

endydee Active Member

Mark Sanchez in not hot garbage. He is just garbage. Unless of course he is running a fever.