WCO Plays, Formations, and any other info to understand the 'O' better

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. The only problem is that Gruden is over verbose.

2. Hobbes3259

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Hobbes, the first thing you need to consider is how the terminology is set up; as in, "Brown Right F Short 2 Jet Flanker Drive," each word has a meaning, either the formation, or the protection scheme, or the route, or the pre-snap motion - or whatever. Once you familiarize yourself with the play terminology, then the next step is to find out the protection schemes, which is intimately related to the number of free-releasing receivers on a given play, which also dictates the number of drops the QB can take before looking for his read. Let me see if I can find my WCO book from the attic. It's years old by now, and probably too antiquated by today's standards, but it should serve its purpose well given the situation of the general public here on TGG.

P.S. If my memory serves me correct, the XYZ designation for three receiver set was a legacy of Coryell offense - some call that a true West Coast offense. Sure, Walsh offense and Coryell offense (or Gillman offense for that matter) both originate from the Bay area, but they are two very different offensive philosophy. (As in Roving Y, which made Kellen Winslow famous, is the Coryell offense at its best. That's not Walsh offense.)

#103 Zach, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  4. Hobbes3259

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Yep, because the Dolphins have given the rest of the AFC East the blueprint for success. Definitely.

6. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

So assuming Mark is going to be leading this new offense...really? I've seen the potential the kid has (in spurts), but this will be his 4th offensive scheme (Shotty had 2 or 1-1/2) in 5 years. No way in hell he picks this up in a year or does he get 2 more years?

7. Hobbes3259

I get that. But Gruden is known for complex terminology.

I was only pointing it out. These are more basic plays.

XYZ has been around forever, and yes, both have been called WCO, while being very different.

What norm Chow had adopted (and later in a different manner Chip Kelly) was a more simplified version, in Chows case see above, he had less than 20 plays to be run out of multiple formations...while this would work great in HS, or at a college where your talent advantage was great....in the NFL not so much.

But I digress. The plays above are pretty straightforward...my only point was Grudens reputation for extraordinary verbosity :beer:

8. Hobbes3259

It's closer to what he did at SC.

And yes...watch the week 1 game against Buffalo, week 10 against St Louis (completed 15 of 20) mostly in the flats and short range.

9. Hobbes3259

Zach,, if you find the name of the book post it..Id like to order it.

10. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

This entire post is speculative bullshit.

11. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

All this talk about WCO is ridiculous. Anyone remember Paul Hackett?

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I hear ya, but the problem is that not everyone is wiling to concede the obvious regarding Sanchez. And it is really hard to discuss the future of the team (or at the very least, the offense) openly and honestly without addressing the ever-present concern of what to do about the most importantl position on the field.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

#113 Zach, Jan 19, 2013
  14. Hobbes3259

I. Ant say this enough...you have to back and watch week 1 or the St Louis game.he did every thing you just said flawlessly....it's what I've been bitching about since we drafted the guy.

Holding the ball for four plus seconds is not a formula for NFL success.

You can correct the staring down thing, by forcing him to pump fake...why Sparano did that in week 10 and got away from it is beyond me...

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

we don't have a QB unless you want to give McElroy a shot. But Holmes and Kerley could be effective in a wco. Plus if Edwards is retained e can be the deep threat.

16. MiamiDolphin

MiamiDolphin Active Member

You do have a QB. Sanchez ran the WCO @ USC. He has the experience and it might be exactly what he needs to succeed.

Expect Sanchez to be your starting QB next year. He gives you the best chance to win.

17. Hobbes3259

Can we please dispense with this nonsense.

You have 50 million and a major draft choice tied up in a guy that has never had a decent OC.

Any discussion about the QB, should start there.

You are moving from an antiquated four seconds plus hold the ball system, to a system that turned a 7th rounder that cou,dnt beat ou Drew Bledsoe, into a Hall of Famer.

The guy is what 24? Give him a chance fcOL. It took Phil Simms 8 effing years to get there.

Unless someone is going to saySchotty is the Shit, or Sparano is, it's fucking RETARDED, to argue the merits of your QB.

How was Testaverde, before Parcells came here...or Steve Young, before he for to SF, and Sat behind Montana...or Buck Frady?

Three relevant examples of the right coach and right player.

You have a physically gifted QB, with 4 road playoff wins in his first two ywears, playing in provably shit schemes, but everyone here wants to set the franchise back, by taking a second guess on the pick...even for trading for a pine rider (smith,Flynn)

Unfuckingbelievable

Fuck, Sam Bradford completed four percent more passes playing for Schotty, with a better cast of talent over the course of a season....!!!

And he was a number one overall.

Give the kid a fucking break, he's here for two more years and support the team.

#117 Hobbes3259, Jan 19, 2013
  18. Hobbes3259

We are two voices in the wilderness.

For years, everyone hated Schotty (rightly), and while Sparano was an upgrade, no one wants to talk about Reuland,gates,Gilyard....being targets.

But...even under Schitty...Sanchez improved incrementally each year.

A real coach, means he gets two years.....but you would expect ALLEGED FANS...TO HAVE a reasonable view of what. Five overall, and 50 mil means to an organization, and consider the coaching context.

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Sanchez is a terrible quarterback, and I can't believe that you're blinded by the fact. EVERY measure known for measuring NFL QBs points to the fact that Sanchez is a terrible starter and is GROSSLY overpaid.

Ask any fan of any other team if they want Sanchez, I bet they say no 10 times out of 10. He's damaged goods. Done. He shouldn't be starting. He doesn't deserve it.

We've invested too much time and money into this bust, and I for one want NO part of him ever starting for the New York Jets again.

You and nyjunc can have wet dreams about him together.

20. Hobbes3259

Holmes,Kerley,Cumberland,hill, and Edwards with Nacho behind center can run this offense better than NE.dump Keller, he's a tip off..keep Hilliard, and let Greene and McKnight battle it out in training camp.

I bet McKnight wins that battle.