QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

the dog killer sucks bigtime :up:

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I didn't include Ratliff... maybe it was a mistake :p

3. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

The most I would be willing to give up for Flynn would be a 4th round pick. That's all.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

but your not just giving up a 4th. you are also giving up the cap space.

flynn's # is more than a 4th rd's #. so you are losing that extra space you would have if you just kept the pick. under better conditions than a 4th for flynn would be worth it if you assume he would be better than anyone you get in the 4th round. but not this year with the cap limitations and the holes neede to be filled

5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Another 4th rounder for a QB. Last year it was for Tebow. Sure got our $$ worth on that one.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Seattle would probably take a 7th for Flynn. He's cap space they don't need to be paying at this point with Russell Wilson established as their QB. They can take a QB in the 6th round to hold the clipboard for them. If Wilson gets hurt they're toast anyway and Flynn might put a slightly better face on that but he isn't going to carry the team the way Wilson did at times last season.

7. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I understand the cap hit would suck but I just really want to not cringe every time the QB drops to pass and if Idzik pulled the trigger on it I wouldn't feel too bad since I'm sure he knows a lot more about Flynn than we do. Also Tebow was here for attention/money, that should be obvious by now.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There are no good QB options already in NFL. Franchise QBs don't become available. Sanchez is more talented then everyone on that list outside of Vick but the last thing the Jets need is the media attention that Vick would bring.

The question is can Sanchez be saved, I think the chances are extremely slim that he can be. With that said I'd rather give him that chance and worst case(best?) we tank next season and are in position for a BridgewTer/Manziel type QB next year. Best case is Sanchez does recover and we are back on track.

Either option would be ok with me. Worst case scenario is locking ourselves in by giving big money and/or draft picks for any one of these shit QBs with very limited upside.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The Jets can't have Flynn and Sanchez on the roster. Who says the Seahawks want Sanchez and his contract and don't think more of Flynn than Sanchez? Flynn will take up cap space and will cost draft picks, and the Jets can't afford either.

Kolb is a bust. A retread. If a player can't beat out John Skelton, I don't want him.

McCoy? Really? He is too small, has no arm, and was replaced by a 28 year old rookie.

Alex Smith would be the biggest mistake on this list. Smith is just an older version of Sanchez who finally found a coach that made him a serviceable QB and then decided that he couldn't win with him and replaced him in midseason of a SB run with an untested 2nd year QB. Smith sucked for 5 years before Harbaugh and a look at those first five years make Sanchez look like a star. He couldn't hold a job as a starter for more than one season. He will regress into the old Smith on a new team without Harbaugh and cost some team a lot of money in the meantime. NO WAY.

Vick would be the best option as a QB for the team in the short run, but he is not a long term solution, is on the downside of his career, will continue to get hurt etc. Its time to stop with the bringing in 30+year old QBs from other teams . Been there, done that - Esiason, Testaverde, Favre. It doesn't work. I don't want some other team's Drew Bledsoe.

Foles is a possibility if he can be acquired cheaply, but he is still an unknown quantity.

I'm hoping Edwards and Clemens were jokes.

I'm for keeping Sanchez and McElroy and drafting a QB this year and/or next with the goal of finding a franchise QB for years to come. 2/3 of NFL starting QBs were drafted in the first round.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Honestly I wouldn't have an issue if they decided that they would go with McElroy. But that wont happen, his play against the Chargers wasn't strong enough to warrant them taking that chance.

11. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Sanchez.

If Vick is on the squad im totally done.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

13. duncc5

duncc5 Member

I also heard somewhere recently that the Browns might try to trade for Ryan Mallett. If that happens then you gotta figure that Weeden is dispensable.

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Alex Smith. He didn't do well his first couple of years, but since then he's been outstanding. I doubt he'll be like his 49ers self, but I think he will be FAR smarter and more protective with the ball than Sanchez. I just can't see him making some dumbass mistakes now (unlike Saint Chez).

49ers win/appear in the SB, I bet Smith's value goes way, way, way down. We get him on the relatively cheap, keep McElroy, and draft a QB in the roster. Demote Sanchez to practice squad or something. Have the aforementioned three battle it out, and go with the best choice. It really is the best solution.

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Why? Because of the dog thing? I'd take Vick on my team over Tebow in a heartbeat

16. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

I choose Smith, but i'd be happy with Flynn. And if i had to swallow my morals i'd take Vick too. I wouldn't be opposed to Sanchez starting if he were to win a serious qb competition.

17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Smith is the best proven QB on that roster. He lost his starting spot to a gimmick player and should be rather cheaper now to pick up.

18. NFL

NFL Active Member

Bring in anyone you want but do NOT waste any picks on them unless its a 7th. Other than a 7th, I'd rather take my chances to land a late round safety or something.

Have your FA, Sanchez, and McElroy compete for the starting job. You should add Greg to that list.

19. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

Like others have said given our cap situation and lack of depth we have neither the money nor the draft picks that would be needed to bring in a decent QB. Better to draft a QB and hope he's the next Russell Wilson,if he isn't we'll have to play Sanchez this year and see what's available next year. There's no harm trying out the less desirable QBs on the list in preseason then cut them if they don't look better than Sanchez.

#39 Jon_Snow, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  20. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Moore wont come cheap...lots of teams will be after him. KC, Jets, Zona, Browns, Jac maybe more.

How much do you think you can pay per year?