WCO Plays, Formations, and any other info to understand the 'O' better

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 18, 2013.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That offensive scheme completely caters to his strengths as a QB. The WCO if all about timing and footwork. Your footwork is what dictates the QB's throws to your WR, it's like the QB's feet act as a QB's internal time clock for their read and throws.

Sanchez struggles heavily with his reads and his footwork has somehow gotten worse as time has went on. Which leads me to believe that this was not a consistent emphasis within his game, at least not a main priority.

The WCO usually revolves around a 3-5 step drop back and release, and this offense also helps the QB with their progressions through their footwork. Usually you have a 1st read, 2nd read, and outlet. All of it is twined together through strict timing patterns revolving around the QB's footwork.

When he was in college and the first two years as a Jet I was really impressed with Sanchez's feet, he had really good footwork and a solid release. Yet, somehow even that positive in his game has looked awful the past few seasons. His mental clock is fucked and I think a WCO would help remedy some of that.

It will also eliminate him getting so easily flustered because of the pass rush as the WCO forces the QB to get rid of the ball much faster then what he has been force fed the past four years.

I could probably go on, but there is a few benefits to have the WCO installed to help remedy some of Sanchez's game.

I'm not saying I hope for this, as I truly believe that Sanchez is done as a NYJ. At least he should be, but I think that he was ever used right and he was hindered because of a lot of reasons. Which is to bad because I think that he does have a lot of talent to be successful, I just don't think it will be as a NYJ.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Nice job, some of that does make sense for sure... But my main problem is that your premise is that the switch will remedy Sanchez's deteriorations because the system calls for its need... from what I can read?

You are saying that because the system relies on footwork and quick set reads, he will be focused on that and hopefully get better at it. I just dont see how a little bit bigger emphasis will change a huge regression.

As you state, his footwork is pretty damn bad and has gotten worse each year along with his ability to read a defense, release and mental clock (Ill add in his accuracy as well- it ties with footwork). Like you say, these are all crucial for the overall success of a WCO. So basically, this whole argument is based around the fact that you (not you in particular, but anyone who thinks this change is beneficial for Sanchez) hope that each and every aspect above not only stops regressing, but gets tremendously better.

Also, from my understanding, a big part of WCO is anticipation- sensing when a receiver will break/cut off his route or when he will be open. Its something that is hard to learn and not everyone has it. The QB has to be in complete harmony with his WR's and be able to read the defense in order to know what they will do with their route. On top of that, the QB has to anticipate when the WR will be open and where- essentially throwing to a spot and not where the WR is. I personally dont think this is one of Sanchez's forte's. If he does anticipate the WR being open, its probably not accurate enough for him to make a play after the catch.

I will agree on the fact that it could potentially help his "mentality" or whatever you want to call it since he wont be able to (or shouldn't be able to) hold onto the ball that long.

Who knows... Maybe by some miracle, it does help him. I do appreciate your response even though you do think Sanchez's time here is done. I agree with you 100% on that. He may go to another team and succeed... I hope he does, I have nothing against him. But I just dont see him being that franchise QB we need here.

3. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez lost his confidence in 2011. Not going to matter what offense we run if he doesn't get his head on straight. He lost that swagger sometime during the second half against the Raiders last season. Regained it briefly, then fell back into the abyss and hasn't recovered. First time in his life the doubts crept into his head. Not the same person anymore and doesn't have the big time skills to overcome it.

4. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Actually, the west coast offense is a pretty simplistic offense. The complication comes in with mid play reads. Changing in route to a corner/post route, etc. The quarterback and receive have to be on the same page.

I am excited to think about seeing some screen plays.

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I am a huge fan of Nassib, so sign me up. He had so many passes dropped this past year, or his completion percentage would be much higher. I am a little bit concerned with how long it took for him to progress, but perhaps it was a growing spurt.

Glennon, who I think is the best in class for the first round, also had a ton of drops.

However, I think the most have player for the west coast offense is a Percy Harvin type (Tavon Austin, perhaps).

6. wildaces

wildaces Banned

The only thing we are truly missing is a QB to run it. Our right guard is old, and should be upgraded to fit the scheme better.

7. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I don't have to, I watched the last 4 years against NFL talent. Why would I want to go back and watch a good team against sub-par competition?

8. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Let's take the footwork out of the discussion for a second. The WCO offense demands good decisions, and has been proven the weakest point of his game. Sanchez will have to read the defense before the snap, and know where to go with the ball. Sounds great, right? What happens, when he misses his drop back read and the WR changes the route mid play. Sanchez has proven he will throw the ball anyway.

Now lets get back to his footwork. I have compared some throws, and fundamentals on those throws to Drew Brees. I truly believe that Sanchez has the tools to play quarterback in the NFL. The problem with Sanchez is intelligence, and that is inarguable.

9. IIMeanDeanII

You can't take the footwork out of the equation, that is the whole point. The WCO isn't so much about decision making as it is timing. The point is that you train your mind to allow your feet to be your trigger. There is not going to be option reads for WR for the most part because the QB and WR will need to have exact timing for routes, and it allows for Sanchez to decipher the route a lot easier with this approach because he will know exactly where his reciever is supposed to be by his footwork and drop back.

It is more of an Anticipation offense and less of a reactionary offense. Don't get me wrong, you still have to disect things but it's designed to make it easier on the QB. The hardest part of this offense is the footwork, chemistry between QB and WR, and timing.

10. IIMeanDeanII

Probably because it actually shows you what he looks like in a WCO offense. You haven't seen that in the NFL. The offense he has been involved with in the NFL is way different than the one he ran in college. Which by all rhym and reason will be a lot closer to what will be installed for the Jets this upcoming season.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. As with any offense, WCO requires a strong fundamentals. This means Nacho fails from the get-go. His sight adjustment is worse than that of a HS QB. (Staring down at the receiver will get you on the pine on any HS team. Nacho does that on NATIONAL TV for crying out loud.) His footwork has regressed so much as well. Unless Jets get a real QB coach and get their collective hands on the fundamentals, Nacho is a lost cause.

2. That said, WCO's primary attack zone is the 8-15 yard area. You need a very accurate QB (1) with a head (2). Nacho fails on both accounts at this area. Rather miserably. Sprint right option may be his saving grace.

3. Let's not forget, though, Jets WRs dropped tons of passes. They need a real WR coach too - or the offense will sputter even with improving Sanchez.

4. One reason I am not too enamored by this Morhinweg is that... there is a reason why you want an accurate passer. The QB has to be able to deliver the ball above the waist of the receiver, so 1. the receiver can catch the ball with minimum adjustments and 2. if the defender is out of position, he can turn up the field for huge gain. I have seen Nacho throwing the ball so the receiver has to make a shoestring catch and get tackled immediately. That's not the kind of accuracy I want to see from my QB.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I was just gonna ask...Does Sanchez have the accuracy to be effective in the WCO...?

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Great post; the last 2 paragraphs especially. At the end of the day the only questions left are:

-Is hiring MM too little too late?
    -Can he regain his grasp of fundamentals or are they gone forever or as a Jet? -Is he Alex Smith or David Carr?

We'll have our answers this upcoming season.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't know about Sanchez and the WCO but it's pretty clear that McElroy's best chance to survive the field would be in an offense featuring a precision short passing game with lots of timing routes to keep the pass rush at bay.

15. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

It shows you what he looks like in a WCO with receivers that are wide open. In the NFL you have to be able to consistently hit slants with accuracy with a defender on the trailing hip. He didn't have to do that a lot at USC. NFL talent makes all the difference.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

So, tell us what you know about footwork...or stfu.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

:rofl2:

Examples please. Weeks 1,10,12 Last year the last two with no talent, he did exactly that.and not with guys wide open....guys that were covered.

Except week one, when e eryone was healthy.

Two things they did routinely last year, asked him to roll left, which he can't do, and conver 3rd and long, which he did a decent job of, considering the positions they placed him in.

Don't look at the frigging games, WATCH them.

18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

-----the Jet fandom will not allow Sanchez to play at home. He has no chance of success there. maybe if Rex had not continually stuffed him down their throats they might have been more forgiving. but the fact that the FO never brought in a legit backup to challenge contributed to this mess. Sanchez may stay for pay, but he is done here.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You want to educate people about the WCO so you posted a Wikipedia reference to it?

20. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I watch every Jets game. He misses short throws much more frequently than he makes them. Do you REALLY believe that if I go back and watch games from the past 4 years again that I won't be seeing the same thing? You truly believe that I couldn't find numerous examples of Mark missing gimme throws? If you believe that I'd be astounded.

In addition to what my eyes tell me, statistics bear it out too. Check out my latest post in the Mornhinweg thread. Tell me why his accuracy behind the LOS has been terrible every year he has been in the league.