WCO Plays, Formations, and any other info to understand the 'O' better

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 18, 2013.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Transitioning to the West Coast Offense

Let's talk WCO.

I'm sure their are some guys on this board who can talk circles around me on this subject, so I'm probably not the best guy to start the thread, but I wanted to get the conversation started.

My understanding of the WCO is that you want a very accurate, precise QB, and receivers who run very precise routes. You also need a RB who is well adept at catching passes out of the backfield. The basic idea being you're attacking horizontally rather than vertically most of the time with a precision short passing attack that thrives on yards after catch.

That being said, I think Santonio Holmes (possibly Kerley) may be the only offensive playmaker we have right now who fits the bill. You may say that this was the case regardless of the offensive system, but I think we need a different QB (even if Sanchez played in a WCO in college), a different RB (x2), a different TE (x2) and at least one more receiver. Unless Hill drastically improves his route running I don't see him being much of a factor in a traditional WCO. I know you still need the ability to go vertical, but route running seems to be at a higher premium than a guy that can run really fast in a straight line (see Jerry Rice).

On the positive side, I do think our o-line should fare better in a WCO, quick passing attack over the man blocking run it up the gut attack.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Maybe you need to question whether the players need to be adapted to what the coach has done in the past or if the coach needs to adapt to the players he has to work with. I think you'll find the answer somewhere in between.

3. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

My first thought is this is about saving Sanchez. And I do think this will work to his benifit. Puts the fins Moore out of play...he's not good at WCO.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Certainly the coach needs to adapt to whatever players he has, but at the same token the GM needs to provide players that fit the system. The skill players we have now are a really poor fit to my understanding of a WCO - but mostly aren't worth building a system around either ... are they?

Regardless we need to pour resources into the O.
    I don't think Sanchez is nearly as accurate as you need to be in an NFL WCO.

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I think McElroy would fit WCO better than Sanchez. MS sucks at short passes, GMcE is accurate.

6. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Won't work $$ wise, will eat too much cap on a mediocre QB.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You've never seen Sanchez, in offense where he's been asked to work the short passing game, since he was at USC...

How did that work out?

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We need receivers, a running back, maybe two tight ends and a QB and we are good to go in the west coast offense. Obviously it won't all be done successfully this year.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I've seen him many times missing simple lateral passes to RBs. His short pass game sucks. The only way for Sanchez to be even close to serviceable is to have a LOT of time in the pocket. Add to this idiotic rookie mistakes he keeps making and inability to read Ds. MS is no fit for WCO.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The West Coast offense can take certain QB's a long time to learn if they don't already understand the playbook and the entire concept of it, That also includes the offense as a whole learning a new offense.And just because it's a west coast offense don't cut the ground and pound short just yet, There's will still be alot of running the ball. Just because it's a West Coast offense doesn't mean we are gonna throw the ball four downs in a row,The west coast system makes it easier to run draw plays and things like that

#11 LongIslandBlitz, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. LongIslandBlitz

Well i have a $1000 dollar bet with a freind that the Jets make it to the Superbowl next year so I certainly hope it's done succesfully lol

13. mikey

mikey Active Member

I hope it's not about saving Sanchez. I see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's so close.

14. mikey

mikey Active Member

I hope he's giving you odds.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

Sanchez is probably the most inaccurate passer in the NFL when passing the ball within 10 yards. His only "forte" (and thats in comparison to the rest of his game, not the NFL), is 15-25 yard routes over the middle. His footwork has gotten worse, he has a very hard time hitting a receiving in stride (which is key in WCO so the receiver can run after the catch), he has a hard time getting through his progressions quickly... It all adds up for a bad fit with Sanchez.

Hobbes, you have to get over this love fest. Sanchez is done here. He was a bottom 3 QB last year and a bottom 5 QB the year before. And please dont name 4 backup players again, Im sick of that gig.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Wow. I am sorry to hear that. Id be extremely surprised if they have a winning record.

17. mikey

mikey Active Member

It seemed like that's all he ever threw for the last two years. He'd see his first read was covered, panic, then throw short.

18. LongIslandBlitz

I found this article on Wiki for people who wanna know more about it and dont

19. CJGreen

CJGreen Member

I am predicting a breakout season on O for Mcknight. This system seems perfect for his skillset. He may end up as the 1rb on this team.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I fully agree with this. On paper it looks like a poor match.

The Pure WCO was/is based on timing, QB step drops, and accuracy. These factors lead to the receivers being in the best possible position to catch an accurate ball in stride for maximal YACs.

In theory the pass is designed to set up the run.

Over the years we have all seen MS screw up many a basic nfl pass looking like he has Herman Munster boots on.

There are slightly different versions of the original Walsh style WCO but they are simply hybrids of the original schemes.

This does mean the jets are likely gonna draft heavy on O this year. Another TE, rb/fb, and guards that can pull.