Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Really? where did he say that ?

2. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Mangold's been gimpy the past two seasons and mediocre, while Brick was lousy last season and then inconsistent this season. I discount the sack stat for Brick because Sanchez would get rid of the ball too soon whenever he felt pressure coming from his blind side. Pressure in front of him he would crumple up and take the sack. For the amount of money these 2 get paid, plus age, where we are as a team, injuries, and crappy run blocking, I would look to trade at least one of them. Take your pick...

Keller sucks. Holmes is a joke and Revis is coming off a significant injury. Plus we have no QB, O-line needs help even if we keep Brick and Mangold, need new TE, new special teams role players, new LB's, new CB, S and finally an entirely new coaching staff in 2014.

Team as a whole is trending downwards. Fans who think we're a few pieces away are in denial. Idzik has his work cut out for him. This season is a year to start breaking the team down by evaluating everyone, add young talent through the draft, clear the crap off the roster, acquire additional draft picks, and then begin to build it back up and move forward in 2014.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He updadted his article a few minutes ago

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I would have preferred the Jets get a guy who knows football talent.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You're a bag of brightness.

6. major33

Woody should throw money at Khan to handle the business side of things. Free up Idzik to concentrate on player personnel, scouting, and the coaching staff.

7. xxedge72x

I agree that a "football guy" would have been an ideal hire for the Jets but I don't necessarily think getting another cap guy is the end of the world. I think many here will attempt a transitive property when considering Idzik vs Tannenbaum... aka Tannenbaum was a cap guy and sucked therefore Idzik will as well.

Admittedly cap management is as much of a need right now as quality personnel is. I think the major problem with Tannenbaum was his lack of control when it came to personnel decisions... sometimes the head coach won (Gholston / Wilson / Connor), sometimes the scouts won (trade up for Hill), and sometimes decisions were made seemingly at random (Tebow). There didn't seem to be a solid plan in place with Tannenbaum, but rather a giant cornucopia of random decisions based on God knows what metrics...

With Idzik having the background he does, we just have to pray that unlike Tannenbaum he installs a consistent system framed against a long term franchise development plan that doesn't waver based on odd circumstances. He needs to have a level of toughness that Mike T didn't have.

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

So kill myself now or....?

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I still dont get these references to Rex "still having control over the roster" - up until Tanny went the view was always that Rex had very little input in terms of the draft and roster, with the whole "he is allowed 1 pick each draft" comment on Hard Knocks - where has this suddenly come from that Rex has absolute control over things?

10. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

As has been pointed out multiple times in multiple threads, Idzik does.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Izdik has spent most of his life in personall he has been in the league for over 20 years he has a long resume if you care to read it, He is experienced in cap and personell choices , Why do you think the Seahawks have become the powerhouse they are now??? one word IZDICK , He sounds rounded in both areas, he also played WR in college and even coached in college to

#1211 LongIslandBlitz, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

It comes from Rex haters wanting as many reasons as they can to hate him and blame the franchises failures on him.

13. major33

How many times are you going to post that you get all your Jets information from a single episode of Hard Knocks 3 years ago? Things change, power gets added to your resume when you come off two straight AFC championship games.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Even if Rex was behind all the personnel moves, how can you be pissed at him for doing a bad job? That's not his job! That's not what we hired him to do. We hired him to be coach not GM. If he was given that power then its the fault of upper management for giving him that power, and that's why our GM was fired.

15. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

I just heard Ira from Staten Island on WFAN. He doesn't sound happy. I think we got another Mike Tannenbaum, and Rex is going to have a major role in picking personel. If we spend another draft picking defensive players I will be beside myself.

16. xxedge72x

Ira is a dweeb.

Perception =/= reality, except in the media.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Can some of you guys please accept the fact that Idzic does have experience in personnel decisions and from everything we read he is very hands on down to actually watching film tape for crying out loud. References indicate he is young, strong minded, fair, gets involved with personnel decisions and scouting, and makes financial decisions that are for the long term health of the team.

He will not make the big spash with monster contracts that are knee jerk reactions ala Sanchez, Holmes, et all.

As for the media statement that if selected Rex has more power, well that's total and typical NY media BS

18. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Once is a typo. Twice and then putting Dick the second time is a strong candidate for a freudian slip lol

JK bro :beer:

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Stop the press! A guy calling into a radio station doesn't like it! Gimme a freakin break.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Idzic biggest challenge will not be Rex, or the draft, or even the cap for that matter. His biggest challenge will be dealing with the innate imbeciles that spute venum in every article or football talk show to sell themselves....the bottom feeders called the NY mighty media.