Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Herm and Rex were both solid hires at HC. They both did well with rosters stacked to win and then had issues with rosters that fell apart. That's what happens to all coaches.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I like the fact that they "might " be bringing someone in from outside the organization. I would have preferreed someone come in and build it as they saw fit, coaches and everything that said I would not hate this move and would hope this guy has the goods :up:

BUT--------:sad:

WHAT IF THIS GUY IS NOT THE CHOICE ? or worse yet maybe he says thanks but no thanks ? I will believe he is the choice when it is announced,,I still believe it will be Cohen,,, and honestly will be shocked if they go outside the organization ! It is not their M.O and old habits are hard to break.

3. JFS76

JFS76 New Member

Isn't idzik a numbers guy? The Jets need a football guy, not another cap manager.

4. Realistic Jets Fan

Congratulations

This makes your 72nd post in a row about it being Cohen the last dozen or so after four sources reported that Cohen was out of the mix and it was down to Khan and Idzik.

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Well look at it this way, if they go with Cohen the move will be so heavily criticized by media and fans. The pressure on Cohen and Rex to produce next year will be intense. So if they have a crappy season, say 4-12, then Rex will be shown the door as will Cohen most likely. We'll be that much closer to a REAL rebuilding.:beer:

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Well let's be honest.. Robert Kraft wasn't exactly stellar as an owner until the Pats lucked out on some 6th round pick at QB from Michigan.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i completely disagree with this.

robert kraft has been a pretty brilliant owner since well before he ever even owned that once useless franchise.

i was just reading about him and read that the first time the patsies EVER sold out for a season was the year that he bought the team. and htey have sold out every game since then. he also if i remember correctly hired a guy named parcells and went to the super bowl before tom brady was even around.

as much as i hate the patriots you have got to give the guy credit for taking a franchise that was the joke of the nfl and making them one of the leaders in just about every facet of the game.

8. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

He has a little bit of a scouting background. There doesn't need to be this 'one or the other' type fit to be our GM. The guy needs to have a vision and implement his vision the minute he steps into the GM job. A good GM will hire an excellent staff around him. I couldn't give two shits about the GM being a 'cap guy' or 'personnel guy' if he can adequately staff the other positions. That is what is most important.

Saying because he's a cap guy means we hired another Tanny is an exercise in futility. I don't mean to call you out on it, but this is a view a lot of Jets fans have and its mind boggling.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Manish Mehta: Person who knows John Idzik describes him this way to me: "Smart. Honest. Tough." #nyj

Definitely excited about this guy!

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Kraft did not hire Bill Parcells

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I don't care who it is. If it's Idzik great. It'll just be nice to get a different perspective on how to build a team.

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

tks for the correction

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

And he followed up Parcells with a guy we fired, Bellichick was 5-11 in season 1 and 0-2 in season two. Maybe Bellichick turns it around with Bledsoe remains the QB and things work out the same. If you want to credit Kraft for being a great by tamepring with Bellichick that's fine but I won't.... oh and James Orthwaite (a relative of Ausgustus Busch) hired Parcells and nearly moved the team to St Louis. To be fair the only reason they didn't move to St Louis was because Kraft owned the stadium (which I believe was sold to him by Victor Kiam) and he wouldn't allow the team to buy him out.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

RJfan I didnt Know that I had posted 72 times about Cohen but thanks for keeping count :beer: things have been reported incorrectly before , no ? My question to you is what if Idzik is not the choice ? OR what if they offer it to him and he says no thanks ? I still think it could be Cohen regardless of the reports,,,so I guess this is # 73 :lol:

15. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Idzik can pull off some trades and get us additional draft picks. Every player on the team should be available except for Wilkerson and Coples. If someone wants Mangold and Brick, then it's adios to them. I would also test the market for Revis because he will be of no use to us next season. Fire Rex after this season.

16. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

brick and mangold?

wtf are you saying

17. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I'm saying those two are OVERRATED (shhhh don't tell anyone) and need to go while they still have good trade value. I might keep one and let the other go. All depends on how many draft picks we can get. We need to rebuild. Hello?? Rebuild. I know it's hard for you to see that word, but try not to be upset.

18. JFS76

JFS76 New Member

I would definitely test Revis on the mkt but Mangold has been the best Jet since I can remember. He's by far my most favorite current Jet and is in my top 5 favorite Jets of all time. I would definitely keep Brick too.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

AYFKM? mangold's overrated? thanks for showing that you should not be taken seriously.

20. JFS76

JFS76 New Member

Mangold is overrated? Wow! maybe underappreciated but definitely not overrated.