Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He didn't vouch to give an unproven QB a huge extension, crippling his team?

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Can start with track record.
    He didn't trade for Tebow, and didn't guarantee an underperforming QB a ton of cash.

3. BleednGreen247

lmfao :rofl:

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You really think Mike Tannenbaum traded for Tebow. Give me a break with this nonesense. The same guys who are calling the Jets prudent where licking Mikes balls 2 years ago.

5. Chrebet Fo' Ever

Both the fact that he spent frugally with the Seahawks - something that Mr T certainly did not do, see Pace, Scott, Harris etc - and that he also has experience in scouting which Mr T did not have

I'm not saying this guy is a sure thing, that's impossible when in comes to GM hunting, but he seems to a be balanced candidate from a well-run organization

6. Objective realism should be the goal if we want to see the team succeed.Absolutely.

That's not what we see alot of the times on here though. Instead we see people make negative assumptions about ownership that quite often aren't tied to any tangible evidence or reasonable line of thinking.

That's what rubs people the wrong way.

If our Left guard stinks & is imcompetent...ok sure...some people may disagree or there maybe some extenuating circumstances up for debate..but it's an issue that can be resolved.

If ownership can't get out of its own way..or people are suggesting alterior motives not in line w/ winning football..that's something entirely different.That projects long term..potentially PERMANENT fixtures of inferiority & losing. Woody may not be perfect..but there are alot worse owners in sports. All this talk of no hope w/ Woody offer just that...no hope. And if there's no hope I'm not sure why any of us are even here.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Interesting that you think Seattle is a better run organization then the Jets, they certainly don't have a better track record.

Not saying the guy won't do well here but he is very similiar to Tannenbaum.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Biggs,

I tend to agree that most of the problematic roster moves were approved by or even initiated by Woody, so in that sense Tanny's being fired can be viewed as him being a scapegoat.

Having said that, it is also true that Tanny did not have the stature as a football guy to stand up to Woody and Rex. As I said this morning, his lack of stature in taht regard created a vacuum that was filled by Rex and Woody, to no good effect. He did not do enough to add what the Jets needed. Therefore while I agree with your basic point, I also think there was nothing lost by his departure.

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

No confirmation yet ? No press conference yet ? Maybe the reports meant next Thursday ? If it's Cohen run for the hills

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If it's Cohen everybody else turned them down.

11. BacktoQueens

i absolutely believe Woody was the driver for that trade.
    However, it happened on Tanny's watch, and he didn't have the balls to stop it.

But even worse, was the Sanchez extention.
    Tanny did many good things here, but he failed miserably to address the QB position in his 7 years as GM. This last offseason being the worst of it.

But i believe we all answered your question as to how Idzik has a better resume than Tanny. You don't have to look any further than QB.

12. Realistic Jets Fan

Is there any candidate you wouldn't hate?

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I have spoken to this argument before. Neither the optimists or pessimists here are working with a better knowledge of the actual facts. We all are drawing inferences, using deductive reasoning. And we can identify a course of prior conduct. What is the relevance of a course of conduct? Relevance is based on the logical inference that prior conduct will be repeated in the future, absent some other factor that will make it likely that the conduct will change.

Turning to the Jets, and specifically the subject of Woody Johnson, what concerns me is that yes, there have been ups and downs during his tenure. But the overall direction of the franchise since he bought it has been down. the blip that was 2010 I think it obvious was achieved by taking a win now approach with the roster and the cap. It has been followed by a precipitous drop, and the way forward is rather murky at best.

Woody also has no background in football, while at the same time available indications are that he is making key decisions about the team.

Now I for one do not think and have never said that with some luck the Jets might not again get back in it sometime soon. But given that course of conduct, I think it will take some luck, or a changed approach by the organzation.

As far as why to follow the team if I feel so negative about Woody, there are several reasons. Habit, for one. I have lived through bad times following this team before. They don't really ruin my daily life, so other than disappointment, the cost is not significant.

Then there's hope for improvement, which might even include Woody selling the team. And also the aforementioned luck. And just maybe Woody might take a different approach to running this team, and become a better owner.

Another factor is the equivalent of driving by a car accident scene. What happened here? Understanding why things fail can be quite informative. After all sports is a kind of metaphor for life.

Having said that, I don't rule out the possibility that someday down the road this all will become too tiresome and boring to continue with. I have given up avocations and interests in the past.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

My point is Idzik resume looks like a carbon copy of Tannenbaums resume prior to him becoming a GM. I don't see how that makes him immune to Woody or Rex.

The key to Tannenbaum's or Idzik's success is that they are organizational collaborators which makes them attractive to a strong willed Owner unless the owner really lets them put the entire staff together.

#1034 Biggs, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  15. BacktoQueens

BB, in regards to post above..
    i actually agree with you in terms of skepticism of Woody. I don't believe he really knows how to effectively run a pro football team.

i do however like some things i'm seeing so far this offseason.
    The GM decision is so crucial, and i'm glad he's not looking at it in a vaccuum. He needs advisors, and he recognized that. It's a first step.
    I really hope they hire both a GM and Pres of Football Ops, as it would make Woody less present. doubt he makes that good of a decision tho..

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Tannenbaum fielded team took the Jets to 2 AFC finals. I could argue that the team we fielded in 08 and 09 was among the top 2 or 3 teams personal wise the Jets have ever had.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And that is why he is out of work now..because he took a good team and turned it into shit with ridiculous contracts and horrible drafts.

#1037 Don, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The one that came in with full authority to hire the entire football operations staff including the HC.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's been active in multiple phases of professional football management, culminating in a high profile role in cap management and day to day operations.

He started in coaching as a young man and then moved to the personnel side of management and then on to more generalized roles in upper management.

That's a very well-rounded progression towards the position of GM, which will have oversight of talent evaluation, acquisition and cap management. He's done most of the things himself, and fairly well given the franchises he did them for and the results they achieved. That gives him a strong perspective on a bunch of areas that are key to success.

The GM's job is to manage and oversee the football operations of a team. He's well qualified.

20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

One cannot argue with this