Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You make some good points here, fair points. Especially your first paragraph! What you say there is true for me, too.

But here's my concern - yes, in theory a sort of organizational guy with lots of experience dealing with player contracts and the cap can make a real contribution. But the way the Jets have been run up until this point, it seems like the main decisions on the roster have been the responsibility not of the GM reviewing recommendations from his coaching staff and then settling on an approach. That's not the the way the Jets have been run.

From all I have been able to gather on it, including what Tanny said since he was fired, is that the major personnel decisions have involved Rex, Woody and Tanny coming up with a decision. I could put a heavy emphasis on Woody there, too, but I am trying to be fair, and I do think Woody has listened to Rex, at least more often than not.

Now we all know that approach did not work out, and Tanny has been fired. But... do we really have any reason to think things wil be different going forward?

Despite the fact that the past approach did not work, we must acknowledge there was some basis for it. Why do I say that? Because Woody, and Rex, and even Tanny for that matter, knew that Tanny was not a football guy, not a talent evaluator. So if those three guys were in a room and trying to settle on some course of action involving the choice of some player, some roster move, why should Woody and Rex have deferred to Tanny?

What I am driving at is the interpersonal dynamics of the way the decisionmaking process has been organized.

If there is a perceived absence, a vacuum, of experience and ability in one person who is involved in a group decisionmaking process, the others will take up the slack. But... we don't want Woody and Rex taking up the slack when it comes to running the roster going forward. We want someone who knows what they are doing.

At this point I would assume the counter to my point is that the Jets can still bring in the scouting department, and a second level person who reports to the GM, and is responsible for evaluating talent.

While that is true conceptually, we have to recognize that is not the way the Jets have been run so far. As for going forward? Well we know Woody loves Rex, retained him when many (how many is not important here) thought Rex should be fired, and Wood has also said Rex will be involved in working with the GM on the roster.

In short what we need to see here is a respected football person, someone who knows football talent, in the room when the HC, the GM and the owner are in the room together. He needs to have the knowledge, and perceived standing, to counter what Woody and Rex would otherwise be inclined to do if there were instead that vacuum I have described.

So while what you say is generally a fair point, I think for the Jets, the way they are constituted right now, you need a football talent guy as the GM.

2. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

You say talent evaluator is overrated but then in your next breath you criticize Tannenbaum for being a poor player evaluator? Isn't that part of the same thing?? Players, scouts, coaches, draft, front office personnel is all a part of talent evaluation.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Where have the jets been so bad on talent evaluation? You can argue they missed on Sanchez but the contracts is what has killed this team not talent evaluation.

Everybody likes to bash Rex Woody and Tanny but the fact remains the Jets went all in 2010 getting where they are today. The contracts that were given to players forced this team in this situation not talent evaluation.

Do really thunk the head coach has the time to do research on a fourth or fifth round draft pick? That is what the GM is for. Of course the HC has some say and he will this time also. I am guessing Rex had more say in the Wilkerson, Coples pick than the hill pick. But the Hill pick was a desperate pick by Tanny not an evaluation of talent issue.

Hey, Believe what you guys want and what the Media feeds instead of looking at reality and common sense.

4. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Is this happening today or do I have to wait another day?

5. Evaluating talent & putting together a well rounded team w/ a complimentary set of players are 2 different things.

MT was never in charge of player evaluations.His job was to take all of the available info INCLUDING the evaluation to assemble a competent roster. That is where he failed.There is plenty of info that suggests that he went against what the scouting dept's prevailing opinion was on many occassions either to create a splash or in favor of the coach's decision.

That was my point

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

How about Gholston, Wilson, Greene and Ducasse in addition to Sanchez and all of them are 1st or 2nd round picks except for Greene who was a third.

7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Idzik is the one. The deal is done.

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Link?

///

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

10. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

This is the same guy who said Gamble was a done deal.

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

12. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Just to get this straight.... is Tom Gamble for sure a no go?

13. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like it.

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

They did not 'miss' on Sanchez. They failed to provide proper coaching for such a green draft pick.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Jets looked at Seattle's Defensive players and thought: yeah, i'd like a D built like that!

16. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

You can sit there and polish a turd all day, but at the end of the day you will still have a turd.:breakdance:

17. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Reading Idziks resume he looks like he knows alot about Running Backs... something We need he coached RBs for Miami and Detroit back in the day.

He was our OC to mention
    Ehh.. I'm iffy about this sign though if it's serious

18. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

this was all his father.

19. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Hmm..that's why he seemed old as fuck

20. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

It is a huge miss to take a guy at 5 overall and then complain he doesn't have enough talent/coaching around him. You take a guy at 5 and pay him big money knowing that the money you are giving him is taking away from other positions you would be able to strengthen had you not taken a QB in the top 5. Of course this is pre rookie cap, but holds true for any QB you pay big money to past his rookie deal.

Obviously every QB needs some talent around him but Sanchez would need a stacked team in order to put up just average numbers. That is a bust

Some people seem to overlook the fact that if the Jets weren't paying Sanchez so much the team would be able to field much more talent or if Sanchez was as good as his draft position then the talent around him would be much better. Sanchez is as much of a contributor to you guys cap problems as shitty GMing. Of course picking Sanchez was a result of shitty GMing so I guess it does all go back to the GM

#960 BeastBeach, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013