Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

HAHA that's so random. That would be crazy. That man is still in shockingly good shape for being 102.
    Right? These are clearly the 2 best people for the job. Anyone pissy about it is just being too pessimistic.

I'm going to do backflips if we get Khan. I'd be happy with Idzik too though.

edit: Also, WTF? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Idzik

#921 NYJalltheway, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Yes, perhaps you are correct. I need to see Woody smarten up before I have confidence in anyone he hires. That last press conference had me shaking my head in disbelief.

I can support Idzik if that's who Woody hires but I don't want Khan unless he's here for business related stuff and not personnel. But then he's probably better off staying in Pittsburgh.

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

The current GM in Pit has said that he is ready to be a GM, and that if he gets a/the job, that he wishes him nothing but the best. IDK about you, but that's good enough for me. Also, the fact that Woody has help making this choice is relaxing.

4. joegee

joegee Member

Wikipedia link for his father.

5. major33

No thanks. We need a top-notch talent evaluator not a cap whiz to run the franchise. If Khan is the man then Woody and Rex will have final say on personnel. Which probably makes him very attractive to those two. Avoid.

6. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Rex.Picks.The.Coaches.

GM.Picks.The.Players.

What is so hard to understand about that? And of course, ultimately, Woody has the final say. He writes the checks.

Sheeesh, do you hate Rex or something?

7. UWSfan

UWSfan New Member

We need someone to run the organization. Every GM has a pro personnel director and college scouting director. We need someone who can keep Rex in check, run a professional organization, have a long term plan and hire good people. Khan and Idzik would both be great choices.

8. major33

Hello??? Khan is not a personnel guy, he's a math whiz who's great at figuring out the salary cap. I'd love for Woody to hire him, just not as the GM.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Ok, you admit you haven't researched these guys and yet you continue forward with the same blind opinion. That doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm not even a big Kahn supporter but I have done the research on the guy to know that he is more than just a cap guy.

Kahn is being endorsed throughout the league much more than Idzik currently is. I have read a lot of things from Steelers reps and personel that suggest that the guy is more than capable of being a GM.

The Steelers current GM (Kevin Colbert) has went publicly in endorsing, Kahn.

Khan shouldn’t be stereotyped as a cap guy.

This is just one piece of information that suggests that Kahn has a handle on the player personel side of things, you should look some of it up.

Again, he is not my favorite of the names out there but I don't think he would be a horrible selection by any stretch. At first I was very sceptical as well and Idzik and Kahn were on my shit list but I've come around after looking things up for myself.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

[Not being an asshole, but truly sincere] What do you see in these guys?

And who are your top candidates?

11. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about Khan to make a judgement on whether or not he would be a good GM for the Jets. But I wouldn't put much stock in the Pittsburgh GM's statements; it's not like he can just say "Khan as Jets GM? What an awful idea!" It would poison the GM's relationship with Khan, and the rest of his staff, if he did so.

12. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

So the staffing firm the Jets hired thinks he's a good candidate, the Steelers current GM thinks he'd make a good GM, and Cowherd endorsed him too. What else do you need to be convinced this guy is a strong GM candidate?

I tell ya, some people...

13. major33

Alright then, point us to all these articles you read where people in the Steelers organization and others around the league say he's a good personnel guy. I want to know what qualifies this guy as a good judge of young talent. And not just that, what qualifies this guy to be a leader of a NY franchise? He's 35 years old and doesn't seem to have experience in many areas like Idzik has. He seems one-dimensional to me.

14. I'm as clueless as everyone else concerning which candidate is the best fit for the job.We only know what the media tells us..and frankly they have no idea what these executives were responsible for behind closed doors.

That said..I think this "We need a talent evaluator" stuff is vastly overstated. The Jets are known for having a strong personnel group. Where Tannenbaum fell short was not properly valuing draft picks, cap management & roster structure. Those aren't pitfalls of poor player evaluation. That's lacking football vision & ability to be an architect.

You can't just ignore the cap management aspect. Being in the NY market almost forces the Jets to have turnover of their roster & to be active in UFA on a yearly basis. As such..you need somebody in place who understands the cap & how to keep us out of where we're at right now for the long haul.

Personnel wise..they need to find this team an offensive identity, lean on the scouting dept & know when to tell Rex to go pound sand if the aspects he wants are not in the team's long term interest.

This franchise isn't gonna get better by hiring a GM to write up scouting reports.If that's what people want we might as well hire cohen or Bradway

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm waiting for the twatter announcement: Incarserated Bob: Br4dw4Y5ux is the running for JETS GM..... :shit:

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I dont think we should write off whoever is hired right away

unless its a proven failure or in house candidate

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The guy or kid is a troll. Most likely a Pats or Dolphins fan.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

names WW85 his Director of College Scouting

19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Would be the greatest thing ever :up:

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

One of the key tenets of any good GM is to be able to identify talent. If the Jets are known to have such a strong personnel group then our roster wouldn't be completely devoid of offensive talent.

So yes, personnel is a crucial component of a new GM. As you say he needs to be an architect. Part of constructing his new vision is either being able to identify new talent or bringing in scouts and personnel guys to do it underneath him.

We have seen over the last few years how poorly this team has drafted, also FA, and that there is a major talent shortfall on this team. This is one of the main reasons we're looking for a new GM. We don't have enough talented playmakers on this team. I'd expect one of the first moves whomever the new GM is would be to fire Bradway and his minions immediately. However something tells me that Woody wants to keep Bradway here. I have no idea why and how Bradway is still here after more than a decade yet it's not because he has built a deep and talented roster that's for sure.