Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

for all we know he was never seriously being considered for the position. Pretending to know anything based on a tweet or somebody claiming to know something is just foolish - ESPECIALLY when Jed Hughes is advising Woody - Jed Hughes is a top flight professional at this - he's not leaking major personnel decisions to kristen dyer so she can tweet.

2. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

I have NO IDEA why anyone listens to this clown. Half the time he piggybacks on other "insiders" news and has the balls to call it his own. The other half of the time he flat out makes shit up and hopes he's right. Every time I see this clown on twitter I can't help but just roll my eyes!

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Let's face it, it could be anybody at this point. The media is so fucking confused it's stupid. I'm not buying into any of it at this point, I will believe it when it's been made official.

I question the reports of the Jets announcing their GM by tomorrow even, I think the Jets are really fucking with the media at this point. So it's a wait and see situation at this point. :)

4. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

Don't care anymore. I will when they announce.

5. Realistic Jets Fan

Is tomorrow the day????

Set up the vbookie yisman and lets get the action started!!!!

6. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

If nothing else, I DO think that we'll be making an announcement by tomorrow.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Looks like its down to Izdick and Khan

8. IIMeanDeanII

That's not even a sure thing. I have not seen anybody from the Jets publicly announce any such thing.

Where did that tidbit come from anyway? Manish?

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Cohen is out. I was worried that Woody would pick this guy. Its got to be Idzik or Khan and I think we would be alright with either.

Report from @KristianRDyer and me: Scott Cohen is not going to be the next general manager of the New York #Jets. #nyj

For the vast majority of us, this is fantastic news. As Mike Tannenbaum's right hand man, Cohen was a symbol of the old regime and would most likely have led to no change in the team's future. Of course, we will not know for certain until the New York Jets makes an announcement tomorrow, but this is a great sign. I suspect right now the favorite is John Idzik, but it's impossible to truly tell. Celebratory gifs are in order!

10. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I'm not liking this one bit. After reading the bio's on Khan and Idzik I don't want either of them. We need someone who understands how to find young talent. Any of these cap guys that Woody is interviewing for GM will be nothing more than a Rex Ryan puppet. Ugh. We might be in for a long and bumpy ride if that's the case.

11. ArmandJ

LOLOLOLOL. Rex Ryan is the owner of the New York Jets. Woody is his puppet and the GM will be too. Rex is going to make everyone in the organization wear sweater vests and gain 100 pounds.

Seriously....?

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The way to find young talent is to have a strong scouting operation and then to make as many picks as you can given the limitations of the 7 round draft and then to choose wisely among the UDFA's.

That's how every team that has been really strong over the last decade has operated.

I'd be ok with Izdik and I'd be ok with Khan and I'd be ok with Gamble and I'd be ok with Cohen if that was the choice in the end. We'd be ok as long as the guy above had oversight of a strong scouting and personnel department and treated the draft like the resource it is. The odds would favor an increase in the Jets talent levels and with it a rise in performance.

We've got the faulty model headed out the door. No more eggs-in-too-few-baskets in the draft forcing the Jets to fill holes with expensive post-prime free agents that decline too quickly for the team to reach critical mass and achieve excellence.

I do think some guys are stronger candidates than others but really changing the model was the necessary outcome here.

13. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

A salary cap GM isn't a big deal as long as his scouting department is solid. GMs are like QBs -- too much credit for good and too much for bad. A GM has to have a solid personnel team scouting colleges of all levels, free agents, and unknowns. A solid GM can take that info, talk to his personnel team and coaches and make the decision on the best choice.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

And introducing your new GM! VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON!!

Haha I wish.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Assuming they actually heed the advice of the scouting department and not make a schizophrenic mix of decisions based on various opinions.

16. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Obviously, but the man that Woody hires will have (hopefully) final say. I want a guy in there who understands young talent and how to find it. Hire a separate guy to handle the cap. We need a football guy who understands how to build an NFL franchise. Who's hiring and overseeing the scouts? Rex Ryan? Woody?

I don't see the faulty model heading out the door if we're not hiring a strong leader to oversee the franchise.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, the leader has to be the owner Woody. Woody has said and done the right things so far in this search. Hopefully he keeps on this track, but I'd wait to see who he hires, the draft choices we make and the FA choices we make before seeing if Woody really has changed his process to the team

18. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

No Cohen and No Cameron...You guys got great news in the past hour...

19. ArmandJ

Unless the media is striking back...dun dun dun.

20. IIMeanDeanII

With that said, you probably haven't researched Idzik or Kahn much, eh?

I'm guessing you got to the cap speciality part (first thing you read) and then stopped reading and ultimately drawing an opinion based on that very minor tidbit.