The longer this search take, the more it magnifies the real problem!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So you're saying the Jets play Kellen Clemens in 2009?

Really?

Where is the evidence that Mangini could have found the QB he needed to survive? He couldn't do it in Cleveland with high draft picks.

Nobody but Rex Ryan was going to take the Jets on the wild ride in 2009 and 2010. Without him and the defense the whole regime is gone after the 2010 season at the latest.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets may well have started a veteran QB in 09 and 10. In 08 up until Favre got hurt the Jets had arguably the best overall team in the NFL.

You don't think Mangini could have signed Bart Scott for 11.5 Million along with Liddo Sheppard and Jim Leonard?

3. Br4d

I don't think Mangini would have signed any of the above. On Sheppard in particular, Rex is the guy with the CB fetish. Kris Jenkins would still likely have gotten hurt in 2009, he was a time-bomb ticking on the Jets from the day he was signed.

What veteran QB do you think the Jets would have signed in 2009? The only vet who changed teams and started that year was Favre.

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He's dead on accurate, though. He used the word idiotic, because the position the negative people take is absurd. The point is, the same people who bitched about the Sparano hiring being too quick are the same people bitching about the GM search taking too long and sensationalizing everything about it. That's pure hypocrisy. You can't have it both ways. Some people will just always go against what the Jets do, no matter what. It's like the opposite of wearing green tinted glasses.

Some people here just take the shit too personally and act like the Jets are in their house, stealing their food from their children's plates and banging their wives, when in reality it's just a competitive game that's a form of entertainment. When it gets to the point that everything sucks, and your life is so stressful because of it, it's time to find a new hobby.

#204 Barcs, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

My guess is on Sparano most of us won't have cared if it took 10 minutes or 10 years.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The drafting of Sanchez didn't get MT fired..... but the ridiculousness of his contract extension probably did. :shit:

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Regarding Sparano, the homers were all for his hiring despite it taking no time at all. So that shoe fits for the homers here, too. Now they say "we've got all the time in the world to hire a new GM, and I sure am glad they are using it!"

Pure hypocrisy.

It is not idiotic to draw a reasonable inference that the GM search appears to be poorly run at this point. The main point in supporting such a reasonable inference is that the Jets have not been well run for the last couple of years at least. No one, not even a homer who also wants to maintain the least bit of cred, can argue otherwise, because the facts show the Jets have gone from 11-5 to 6-10 in two years. Add in that it is unreasonable to blame Tanny for the whole mess, and that Woody and Rex are still on the scene, and that reasonable inference seems entirely to be so, certainly as compared to a rose colored glasses wearing exercise in pom pom waving.

As far as how the whole experience fits in the relative lives of disappointed skeptics as compared to unreasonable and credulous homers, that is a fit subject for a different discussion.

#207 Big Blocker, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  8. So in other words..you are just assuming that things are being ran poorly based on the team's overall performance over the last 2 seasons?

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Fair point, but the reality that the Jets have been poorly run for the past couple of years does not, in and of itself, justify the conclusion (which some here have made) that the Jets GM search is being poorly conducted. However, I do agree that a "reasonable inference" can be made to suggest just that.

In my opinion, the most logical, prudent, and fair-minded approach is to wait to see who they actually hire before I kill them for being incompetent buffoons. Harshly criticizing the Jets before they actually hire anyone just seems reactionary and impatient to me. After all, ultimately, the only relevant consideration is who they actually hire.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Assuming is hardly the right term to describe the deductive process involved. I think it is a generally acknowledged truth in analyzing a correlation of performance to results that where the results are bad, that tends to show poor performance. That does not mean other factors are or may not be involved, but those must be identified and their impact judged as the sole reason for failure before poor performance by relevant actors can be, should be, ruled out.

11. Br4d

I think the only relevant consideration is how the people they hire actually perform.

There's no hire out there that's going to make all of the media get off the anti-Jets jag they've been on for the last year or so. Somebody, and maybe several somebodies, will criticize whatever choice the Jets make if for no reason other than to differentiate themselves from the pack and get hits.

I'm going to wait and see how things go for a solid two seasons. There's nothing that 2013 can really tell us about the new hires because of the overhanging issues. Things would have to be terrible after the Jets promised good for us to have any type of downside confirmation.

Along about October of 2014 is likely to be the first time we can objectively analyse the effect of the hires, unless the Jets really beat expectations next season.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I don't remember the time being discussed all that much. People were talking about the pluses and minuses about the man himself, the hire and what he could bring to the team. Sparano impressed Rex and Rex thought he could really help turn Sanchez around. Obviously it was a mistake. You're right, the homers do it as well, but they aren't nearly as prevelant as the dark siders on here. There's maybe 1 or 2 homers for every 20 darksiders. I think we should do the same with the GM. Wait until they make a hire, THEN we can criticize them for doing it right or wrong. Right now, there's no reason to even guess about it.

#212 Barcs, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

And??? Sparano impressed Rex and Rex sitting on a podium next to Woody talking pistol O. We got a plan.:sad:

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Man I hope they prove me wrong and get this thing right :sad:

They need to hit a HR with this move ,,,if its Cohen it's like going down looking with 2 outs and bases loaded,,,,,just sayin

15. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Holy shit, where are all the sad faces coming from. Is ChampionJets Palpatine or something...?

16. BleednGreen247

wtf is taking so long